First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
As someone else mentioned, other hobbies and the fact I bought my truck outright (yay no payments!) makes a $300 purchase kind of painful.
Well done!
Sponsored

OP
OP
mustang marty

mustang marty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger stx sabertooth , 04 stang ragtop 40th anvrs. , 66 stang fastback 2 plus 2
Occupation
A happy retired guy
I have not tried this, but maybe it would work to climb in the bed with the tailgate up (utilizing the bumper) and then dropping the tailgate while in the bed. A tailgate damper would prevent it from slamming down.
Here I am months later but I remember you saying this . SO I ordered the damper and it will solve my problem like you said . Just wish I remembered months ago . It was because of the wimp factor of having a damper on a light weight tailgate . Thank you Texasota it beats installing a bed step .

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I have the Trek Step and love it. Yes, it is a little pricey, but it is not a shin buster when retracted. Even my vertically challenged better half can get in the bed with the tailgate down. So it is wife approved. :clap: Beats carrying a step stool around all the time. JMHO.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I'm waiting for an aftermarket manufacturer to come out with a rear bumper similar to the one on the Colorado....
I've since bought the Black Horse Offroad rear bumper with the side steps.

So far it's great.

Getting into the bed with the tailgate down is a breeze now.

This is before I added the backup lights in the pods.

Black Horse.jpg

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
YOU JUST BOUGHT A NEW TRUCK AND YOUR WORRIED ABOUT 300 BIG ONES? DAMN YOU SOUND LIKE A CHEVY OWNER
And you sound like a Congressman... spend... spend... spend.... spend :flag:

Last edited:

Scott D

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/STX
Well, this thread is timely. I installed my Trek Step earlier this afternoon and couldn't be happier with it.

The price didn't scare me. I just bought a $30,000+ truck, might as well spend a little more to make it the way I want it.

25+ years of different back injuries have ended my ability to just jump up in the back like Doug DeMuro did in his YouTube Ranger review. (And I think it took him 5 or 6 attempts to achieve it, lol)

IMG_20210103_141604527.jpg

Stevo56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT, 2016 Ford Taurus SEL AWD
Occupation
Retired
Well, this thread is timely. I installed my Trek Step earlier this afternoon and couldn't be happier with it.

The price didn't scare me. I just bought a $30,000+ truck, might as well spend a little more to make it the way I want it.

25+ years of different back injuries have ended my ability to just jump up in the back like Doug DeMuro did in his YouTube Ranger review. (And I think it took him 5 or 6 attempts to achieve it, lol)

IMG_20210103_141604527.jpg
I want to get one but wonder how corrosion proof they are. Lots of salt and snow on Minnesota roads. Had something similar on my 2011 F-150. After 6 years, it dumped me on my face when the bolts corroded and snapped off when I stepped out of the box.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I want to get one but wonder how corrosion proof they are. Lots of salt and snow on Minnesota roads. Had something similar on my 2011 F-150. After 6 years, it dumped me on my face when the bolts corroded and snapped off when I stepped out of the box.
I didn't think about that. I hate stuff that collects the gunk off the road an you get that nasty block of dirty ice crap hanging off it.

Scott D

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/STX
The mounting bracket is probably 1/4" steel and the mechanism is pretty much all aluminum.

No idea how it would survive up north, but I'd imagine the salt would be hell on it.
Sponsored