MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Have you tried using the rear tires? That's typically what I do, grab the bed side, put your foot on the top of the rear tire, and step up into the bed.
That rear tire works great for me!
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I have not tried this, but maybe it would work to climb in the bed with the tailgate up (utilizing the bumper) and then dropping the tailgate while in the bed. A tailgate damper would prevent it from slamming down.
Now you've done it,you brought up the forbidden tailgate damper! Lol. Honestly I don't see why some are having such an issue getting into the bed unless you have bad knees. Lower the tailgate,and either kneel on it and push up to get in or sit on it and swing yourself around? Heck I'm 5'7 on a good day and have never had and trouble getting into my F150's which were much taller than the Ranger. I'm in/out of the bed at least 12 times a week and never gave this a thought until seeing this thread. I have used the rear tire on my F150's but have never given it a thought because the Ranger is so much lower. Maybe just get one of those fold up Rubbermaid steps and keep in the bed?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Rubbermaid-2-Tier-Step-Stool/20575632

Step Stool.jpeg

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Ha! I'm 6'3" and I have to sit my butt on the tailgate, swing my legs into the bed, and then stand up. I feel a little ridiculous! In my old rangers I was able to literally step up into the bed. On the F150 I had for work, it was a little harder, but I was able to climb into the bed. Am I getting old? LOL

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
In my case, I can do it and so can my wife. But.... The step built into my Colorado is SO much better and there's even a hand hold on the bed rail.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Have you tried using the rear tires? That's typically what I do, grab the bed side, put your foot on the top of the rear tire, and step up into the bed.
I've always either done this, or I'll sit on the tailgate and swing the legs up to climb in. Also, I'm 5'8, for a height reference.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Maybe in the future they'll have a dealer installed combination Tommy Gate / Tailgate Damper option?

And it'll also, just like a Honda Ridgeline, have a quaint little storage space in the bed for your purse.... :computerrage:

Last edited:

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
I find in tough to get in the bed with tailgate down . Have seen add on rear steps which spring in and out . I also thought of putting a grab handle in the rear area of bed . Any ideas on the subject ? It is easy to get in with the tailgate closed . Just wish the bumper extended more on the sides .
This is what I installed. Trek Step from BESTOP. Not cheap, but an excellent solution! I you're handy it's a DIY project. If not, have a local shop doing it for you!
IMG_0107.JPG
IMG_0108_Original.JPG
IMG_0109_Original.JPG

IMG_0110_Original.JPG

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
This is what I installed. Trek Step from BESTOP. Not cheap, but an excellent solution! I you're handy it's a DIY project. If not, have a local shop doing it for you!
IMG_0107.JPG
IMG_0108_Original.JPG
IMG_0109_Original.JPG

IMG_0110_Original.JPG
HOLY HELL! That's expensive! I was all about it until I saw the price. OUCH! LOL

khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Crewcab FX4
Vehicle Showcase
So I added the Yakima eyelets to the four corners of my truck (I have the retrax tonneau cover with the T slot track) side rails, just as general tie down location. They give me an easy way to put a net over it all whenever I haul something that doesn't fit into the bed itself, or allows me to tiedown straight to the tonneau cover. An unexpected benefit has been that it provides me with a hand hold to pull myself up onto the bumper and get into the bed. It's been a super useful way to get into it that I'd recommend to anyone who has the ability to add a handhold of some sort right there. Of course this won't help you if you can't bend the knee to get the foot onto the corner of the bumper to start with, or if you have a regular tonneau cover that covers that area of the bed rail. But otherwise - super useful.

Figarou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Edge ST, 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Ha! I'm 6'3" and I have to sit my butt on the tailgate, swing my legs into the bed, and then stand up. I feel a little ridiculous! In my old rangers I was able to literally step up into the bed. On the F150 I had for work, it was a little harder, but I was able to climb into the bed. Am I getting old? LOL
That's exactly what I do. Same goes for exiting the bed. I sit on the tailgate and then dismount.

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
Being 6' 1' , I can step up on the tailgate and barely pull myself up. If I get up more that 2-3 times, Then I have reached my limit, Ha Ha.

Deleted member 1634

Being 6' 1' , I can step up on the tailgate and barely pull myself up. If I get up more that 2-3 times, Then I have reached my limit, Ha Ha.
Same. I'm certainly capable of doing it, at least a few times a day like you, but that doesn't mean I want to do it. Since we have a topper now, it's not necessarily about getting into the bed, but more so we can actually get to the kayaks and whatnot on the roof. We have hauled around a step ladder before for that very reason, and that is a perfectly capable method, but I personally would like something better. It's not for everyone, but it is for some of us.

Gazmic

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Machinist
IMG_0107.JPG
IMG_0108_Original.JPG
IMG_0109_Original.JPG

IMG_0110_Original.JPG
Your excellent pics sold me on the trekstep. You're right about the price, but looks like a solid investment.
Sponsored