OP
The Long Ranger

The Long Ranger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Supercab XLT 302a 18" PVD Chrome pkg., 15 Focus SE, 65 Falcon Futura Hardtop, 56 Chevy 3100 Shortbed, 05 Pontiac Vibe (700,000 miles), 93 Nissan King Cab, 05 Sebring Limited convertible (Joyride), 17 American Landmaster 450E, wife has some kind of Cadillac
Occupation
HotShot ......no, really
Vehicle Showcase
When you say mouse... do you mean a small block Chevy?
If so, a "frog" must be a Renault 2CV? Right?
Or a 1959 Sprite?

1959_austin-healey_bug-eye_sprite_15414480009eb2aed8825be0a072d67ab_austin-healey_bug-eye_spri...jpg

EJC_1895-copy-940x734.jpg
I've seen the one on the bottom before. It had 12 clowns in it! They just kept and kept and kept on getting out. Interior must be bigger than it looks!

rangerdanger19

First Name
Addison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport SuperCab (301a), 2017 Ford Fusion Sport (401a + Driver's Assist), 2014 Ford Fiesta ST, 1988 Merkur Scorpio
Occupation
Account Manager
As someone who's been known to cross the Mexican border a time or two, I'm actually grateful that Ford set the limiter to 109-110mph (fuel cuts at 109 but I've hit 110 on a downhill section of the 'track'). I drove a 2017 GMC Canyon that was limited to 99mph, no ifs, ands, or buts. It was actually frustrating, because I happened to be trying to keep up with an ecoboost F150 on this closed track that no one else was on, and it just walked away.

Don't worry, it wasn't my Canyon, but it cemented the decision to get a Ford.

olgzr

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Ridgeline
When you say mouse... do you mean a small block Chevy?
If so, a "frog" must be a Renault 2CV? Right?
Or a 1959 Sprite?

1959_austin-healey_bug-eye_sprite_15414480009eb2aed8825be0a072d67ab_austin-healey_bug-eye_spri...jpg

EJC_1895-copy-940x734.jpg
My brother had a bug eyed sprite. He was in 70+ mph bumper to bumper traffic in LA when a chunk of 4X4 came out from under the truck ahead. He had a 4X4 and a complete exhaust system come out from under his sprite.

Tim G.

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4X4
Occupation
Occupational Health and Safety
my truck stopped at 108mph and wouldn't budge, then i set my cruise control to its max 110 and it climbed up to 110mph lol

Reactions: Doc

Tim G.

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4X4
Occupation
Occupational Health and Safety

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I've raised the max limit via the SCT BDX box to 125 and so far on anything lower than 91 octane can't hit that. With traffic so sparse with the shutdown it's given me the ability to 'test.'

This with Ford's stock tune though as I haven't applied any aftermarket tune yet so I can't be sure of 'practical ' top speed.

Down the road I expect to upgrade the speed rating of tires.

Going over 85 MPH isn't practical off course but it's kind of reassuring to know if you can.

Saying all that I'll add that aerodynamics seem to come into play and that is more apparent with the truck (rear spring leaf) suspension. With one impromptu 'test' I drove with the tailgate down and was uncomfortable at higher speeds feeling more affect from crosswinds. Maybe this is due to less downforce provided by venturi/bernoulli effects and I wonder what a tonneau might provide.

BobDP

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Ranger
I've raised the max limit via the SCT BDX box to 125 and so far on anything lower than 91 octane can't hit that. With traffic so sparse with the shutdown it's given me the ability to 'test.'

This with Ford's stock tune though as I haven't applied any aftermarket tune yet so I can't be sure of 'practical ' top speed.

Going over 85 MPH isn't practical off course but it's kind of reassuring to know if you can.

Saying all that I'll add that aerodynamics seem to come into play and that is more apparent with the truck (rear spring leaf) suspension. With one impromptu 'test' I drove with the tailgate down and was uncomfortable at higher speeds feeling more affect from crosswinds. Maybe this is due to less downforce provided by venturi/bernoulli effects and I wonder what a tonneau might provide.

Do you know if it is possible to do that with Forscan?

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired

Lower it...
Regards

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
Lower it...
Regards
Lower the truck? Sounds like it would help for sure, but I don't think it's practical. Perhaps an aerodynamic treatment under the front bumper and a tonneau cover.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient

rangerdanger19

First Name
Addison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport SuperCab (301a), 2017 Ford Fusion Sport (401a + Driver's Assist), 2014 Ford Fiesta ST, 1988 Merkur Scorpio
Occupation
Account Manager
Just an update, I've tuned the truck with 5-Star Tuning's 93 Performance tune since I last posted. Today I felt a bit more ballsy than usual. 123 and I let off. It climbed right past 120 without a single issue, and my gut feeling is that it could max out the speedo. Tires are only rated at 118mph, so I will not be making that attempt again any time soon. Cool to know it could do it though

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
123 and I let off. It climbed right past 120 without a single issue, and my gut feeling is that it could max out the speedo. Tires are only rated at 118mph, so I will not be making that attempt again any time soon.
I know it seems counter-intuitive to concern ourselves about top speed in a truck, I'd say the current Ranger is an exception. I've replaced a sedan with mine though I felt I needed the bed and towing capability. The motor/transmission provides a lot to work with in spite of aerodynamics, and I'm thinking some H-rated tires will be in my future. Disabling the speed limiter made me realize how very easy it is to 'get up there.' I can't rationalize when i'd need to, but having the safety margin of tires that can handle it seems... prudent.
Sponsored