Too much sport mode?

ATLien

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 XLT Ranger Sport Supercrew 2WD, hot pepper red
I love sport mode. I know it’s not as fuel efficient, but it feels so good. I’m curious if it’s bad to drive in sport mode all the time? And I mean ALL the time. Not sure if in the long run it would be a detriment and wear engine parts prematurely. I feel like I should only use it sparingly... any thoughts?
Sponsored

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCrew FX4
I love sport mode. I know it’s not as fuel efficient, but it feels so good. I’m curious if it’s bad to drive in sport mode all the time? And I mean ALL the time. Not sure if in the long run it would be a detriment and wear engine parts prematurely. I feel like I should only use it sparingly... any thoughts?
No harm, keep it in sport and let her rip!

Maltese

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRX & XLT Ranger
All sport mode is a different level of throttle sensitivity and a propensity to hold gears longer. This will not harm your vehicle in itself. Slamming on the throttle and burning out off of every light/stop sign will reduce the life of your vehicle. This is a user choice and if you chose to run it hard, be willing to pay to fix things.

OP
OP
ATLien

ATLien

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All sport mode is a different level of throttle sensitivity and a propensity to hold gears longer. This will not harm your vehicle in itself. Slamming on the throttle and burning out off of every light/stop sign will reduce the life of your vehicle. This is a user choice and if you chose to run it hard, be willing to pay to fix things.
I never mentioned anything about driving like a maniac...

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
How long do you plan to keep your truck? Higher rev's means more wear and tear. If you plan to keep your truck for over a decade and want to minimize maintenance, use the sport mode sparingly.

TommyAtomic

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
As long as you don't continuously redline the engine use sport mode as often as you want. Spirited driving doesnt hurt anything. Maybe don't do it when all of the engine fluids are cold.

As for engine wear, the Ranger has an oil life monitor that will tell you when the oil needs to be changed. Basically when your oil life monitor reads 5% visit the dealership and get it changed. Aggressive or spirited driving will decrease the life of your oil marginally faster. MARGINALLY FASTER. Premature engine component wear WILL absolutely occur if you exceed the life of your engine oil whilest driving it like you stole it.

If you don't have the dealer change your oil and decide to do it yourself; do use a ford motorcraft oil filter. I believe the part number is FL-910S . There's nothing magically different in terms of filtration between a ford filter and whatever random filter you might get cheap at OReilly or Autozone (I think you can get Motorcraft filters both places). But the Ford filter will have an anti drain back valve (ADBV) which basically prevents the engine oil galleries from draining into the oilpan and keeps the oil system primed. You can probably buy them off of Amazon also.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
26 thousand miles S mode only...

OP
OP
ATLien

ATLien

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How long do you plan to keep your truck? Higher rev's means more wear and tear. If you plan to keep your truck for over a decade and want to minimize maintenance, use the sport mode sparingly.
that’s kind of what I was thinking. I’ll likely keep the truck for 6 years give or take. I don’t really get on the pedal too hard, I just like the responsive feel of sport mode, but figured the higher rpms could potentially come with a price over the years. Kind of like when someone mods a vehicle computer to get sportier performance, but wears out the engine and tranny over time.

Drive mode isn’t too shabby though, it’s still an impressive experience. Maybe I’ll play it safe and do sport mode once a week just for fun, and stay on top of routine maintenance checks to ensure longevity.

OP
OP
ATLien

ATLien

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As long as you don't continuously redline the engine use sport mode as often as you want. Spirited driving doesnt hurt anything. Maybe don't do it when all of the engine fluids are cold.

As for engine wear, the Ranger has an oil life monitor that will tell you when the oil needs to be changed. Basically when your oil life monitor reads 5% visit the dealership and get it changed. Aggressive or spirited driving will decrease the life of your oil marginally faster. MARGINALLY FASTER. Premature engine component wear WILL absolutely occur if you exceed the life of your engine oil whilest driving it like you stole it.

If you don't have the dealer change your oil and decide to do it yourself; do use a ford motorcraft oil filter. I believe the part number is FL-910S . There's nothing magically different in terms of filtration between a ford filter and whatever random filter you might get cheap at OReilly or Autozone (I think you can get Motorcraft filters both places). But the Ford filter will have an anti drain back valve (ADBV) which basically prevents the engine oil galleries from draining into the oilpan and keeps the oil system primed. You can probably buy them off of Amazon also.
great advice, thank you!

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
thats impressive, nice to know
Yes, no need to worry...and to answer your last question...I still have both my last two cars purchased since new...03 MINI S and 09 Cobalt SS, both with Triple X sport mode...:)

lohchief

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 CC.
Occupation
Disabled/retired
Vehicle Showcase

I have used Royal Purple oil and filters in my last vehicle,since new. This time I will use Amsoil,and their filter. Yes,those filters,as in most,have the anti-drain back check valve. BUT,both the Amsoil and Royal Purple filters have a microfiber filter element instead of paper. Much higher quality,with a price to match. But to me,money well spent.You get what you pay for,and when it comes to my engine/transmission/transfer case and both diffs,I will get Amsoil products. In regards to what I said about the filters I have used and what I will use,look it up on youtube. See the inside differences of the oil filters out there,and you choose.

Last edited:

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT Sport
Let's phrase this differently...the wifey surely has a gizmo in the night stand. It probably has multiple settings.
Which one do you think she rips on? I bet its burning through duracells like no tomorrow.
Enjoy sport mode and wear some tires out
Bawaaaaa, now that's funny, I don't care who you are!!!
Sponsored