Is this engine noisy or am I just expecting too much?

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I'm new to the EcoBoost line of engines and honestly I'm not sure what to expect my truck has almost 13,000 miles on it now and I haven't really paid any attention to noises or anything like that and recently I've just been running with the AC on and the windows up and just not even listening to the radio. I've noticed that sometimes under light acceleration I'll hear what basically just sounds like valve train noise mostly coming from the driver side of the engine and when I roll the windows down I can't even really hear it outside. The only time I've actually been able to is right beside a building. I'm not sure if this is normal, if it's the direct injectors, the hpfp, or maybe even a slight exhaust leak because I have the mbrp exhaust which doesn't have a flex coupler and I haven't tightened it up in a few months. Am I going crazy, or is this just something that's intrinsic to this line of engines? It's not very loud, it's faint and like I said it just sounds like a sewing machine kind of valve train noise like you would have with a set of mechanical lifters or something like that and it only happens under light acceleration and light load. Most of the time you can't hear anything at all other than the engine and if you get on the gas a little bit and it stops. My previous DI engines have all been Mazdas and they really have a lot of sound dampening under the hood.
Sponsored

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
Pretty normal noises, between all the cool technology up there. sounds worst for me though my hearing aids amplify all that noise so it sounds like a box of rocks to me. ?. I sprung for the engine cover helps a little.

OP
OP
TORQUERULES

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
It has surprised me. I guess Ford didn't really worry about NVH with this truck.

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
MUCH louder than the DISI turbo in the Mazdas. That incessant clicking noise is the injectors. The HPFP is pretty dang loud too. Louder than my mazda with the autotechs. I'm getting used to it knowing that its just normal operation noise. As long as it keeps making those noises, I'm content lol.

GregsFX2Ranger

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT 302A 4x2 Rapid Red Black Appear Package
Occupation
Management
It has surprised me. I guess Ford didn't really worry about NVH with this truck.
It's a 4 cylinder compact truck, not a luxury F150. Based off my experiences, all of the compact trucks have a little noisier engine (regardless of the engine). And you are not going to have all the sound dampening materials a full size would.

Just drive it and stop worrying.

JSauce

First Name
Jeromy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Schwab
This is the first compact truck I’ve owned, and by far the smallest engine I’ve ever owned (prior vehicles 5.0, 4.6, 3.8, 3.5) but this truck is a little beast! I’m still adjusting to the odd clicks, the almost electronic buzz at low rpms, etc. but if that’s all we have to deal with to have this much power and fun out of that little engine, I’ll take it!

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
If it had the "mat" that most DI equipped cars from Europe it would probably reduce the noise alot.

My wife's DI Honda has some cool whistles and such too lol

D

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I found that the engine cover significantly reduced the engine noise.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Lol you shoud hear old Nissan Fuel injected engines!! You thought the EcoBoost was noisy? 1980's nissan fuel injectors are louder than a Deisel!!!

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
The Diesel engines are not that noisy, although they still have clattery sound. Im not sure how to describe it. Even then, Ford made efforts bc they installed that Active Noise Cancellation. Do the US Rangers have this also?

EDIT: Just to add, I can hear the fan during initial starting period. It sounds like a angry tank for a few secs.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
EDIT: Just to add, I can hear the fan during initial starting period. It sounds like a angry tank for a few secs.
I kind of dig the noisy fan at startup. I'm glad it doesn't last too long though.

While the engine can be somewhat noisy, I find the cab while driving to be very quiet - probably the quietest vehicle I've owned. Maybe part of it is the ANC, maybe part of it is insulation - I'm not sure, but I'm very happy with the cabin noise level.

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
I kind of dig the noisy fan at startup. I'm glad it doesn't last too long though.

While the engine can be somewhat noisy, I find the cab while driving to be very quiet - probably the quietest vehicle I've owned. Maybe part of it is the ANC, maybe part of it is insulation - I'm not sure, but I'm very happy with the cabin noise level.
My wife likes it too, she just giggles and says, "it sounds so angry" ?
Sponsored