Reaction score
Website
www.jaztuning.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Ranger, 23 Maverick, 04 S2000, 07 Sky RL
Occupation
ECU Calibration - USAF Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I actually moved out of Colorado a couple months ago. With how busy it's been, I've only been logging my stock vehicle with the intent to start changing some things, after I hit the 1k mile mark, just to make sure there are no issues. I don't drive as much where I live now, so I'm just under 400 miles on the truck in 5 weeks or so.

Are you talking about 350whp on the stock turbo? If so, that seems like a stretch to me, unless you move to ethanol or race fuel... But even then, seems like a stretch. Personally, I wouldn't chase a number, just a strong tune/build that's not pushed to the limit. I read in the HP Tuners forum that someone logged about 38 lbs/min... If I just take that at face value, that's roughly 380 bhp, which would probably be more like 300-320 whp. Still new to this platform, but I'll get it down.

I do have a new Mountune intercooler I will sell you. :) If you're looking for a local tuner that does Ecoboost tunes regularly, my buddy Alan at Edge Autosport would be a good place to start.

I plan to support the Ranger platform, but mostly in a OTS map capacity (however, I dial it in to each vehicle). I have enjoyed using the TDN app on my phone so I can take logs without brining my laptop. :)
Sponsored

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I actually moved out of Colorado a couple months ago. With how busy it's been, I've only been logging my stock vehicle with the intent to start changing some things, after I hit the 1k mile mark, just to make sure there are no issues. I don't drive as much where I live now, so I'm just under 400 miles on the truck in 5 weeks or so.

Are you talking about 350whp on the stock turbo? If so, that seems like a stretch to me, unless you move to ethanol or race fuel... But even then, seems like a stretch. Personally, I wouldn't chase a number, just a strong tune/build that's not pushed to the limit. I read in the HP Tuners forum that someone logged about 38 lbs/min... If I just take that at face value, that's roughly 380 bhp, which would probably be more like 300-320 whp. Still new to this platform, but I'll get it down.

I do have a new Mountune intercooler I will sell you. :) If you're looking for a local tuner that does Ecoboost tunes regularly, my buddy Alan at Edge Autosport would be a good place to start.

I plan to support the Ranger platform, but mostly in a OTS map capacity (however, I dial it in to each vehicle). I have enjoyed using the TDN app on my phone so I can take logs without brining my laptop. :)
Hope the move is treating you well.

I figured with e85 that he could get there but admittedly I have nothing to back that up.

I absolutely support the advice about chasing a number. Especially with this transmission. The way the 10r80 sits in the powerband and eats is spectacular. A good, strong, reliably tuned e85 bolt on Ranger would be a hoot regardless of the number.

I knew you could at least provide a contact and hopefully the OP can get it built. The Ranger suffers a bit in tuning development I think due to it being a lower volume truck owned by mostly older dudes.

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Tune, big Ford turbo, downpipes, intercooler, CAI, and exhaust upgrade. On pump gas (high altitude 91 octane), 67° F ambient, squeezes peaks of 325 HP, and 367 torque, at the wheels, in 5th gear. Be prepared to buy really expensive, sticky rubber tires, or you'll end up wrapped around a tree, like those guys leaving car shows on YouTube!

To the gentleman who says 350 HP is the limit... There are a few guys out there hovering around 450 HP on a stock bottom end (E85 and new fuel pump of course). This said, I'm with you, as I won't go more without major changes.

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
You could LS swap it. I think that is a somewhat common engine to swap.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Tune, big Ford turbo, downpipes, intercooler, CAI, and exhaust upgrade. On pump gas (high altitude 91 octane), 67° F ambient, squeezes peaks of 325 HP, and 367 torque, at the wheels, in 5th gear. Be prepared to buy really expensive, sticky rubber tires, or you'll end up wrapped around a tree, like those guys leaving car shows on YouTube!

To the gentleman who says 350 HP is the limit... There are a few guys out there hovering around 450 HP on a stock bottom end (E85 and new fuel pump of course). This said, I'm with you, as I won't go more without major changes.
I was just wondering this too. At what hp point does the Ranger with leaf springs, no weight in the back and open diff just become a one-wheel peel machine. It's obviously not the best platform for putting power to the ground..

rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
STX FX4 SuperCrew
Occupation
engineering systems admin
Vehicle Showcase
I thought I read if you push the 2.3 to 400 hp or higher you are asking for the block to fail. I would think a good 93 octane tune with a down pipe, 3" exhaust, air box an intercooler/pipe upgrade would get you close to the 400 crank hp number. I also think I read the epa has gotten really aggressive going after the tuners for tuning for high flow down pipes that replace the factory cat.
450-500 I think
Inspecting EcoBoost Mustang/Focus RS Engine Block & Cracking Issue When Making 500+ Horsepower - YouTube

canyonslicker

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
65 YO Juvenile Delinquent
Yeah old guy here, I used to tune NA vehicles a lot. Loved it, with the power produced by these new boosted engines at my age it’s great for me.

No desire to ask for more, probably age and wallet related plus the looks from the missus asking why??!! Yeah I don’t need to be a 65 year old juvenile delinquent.. I’m comfortable with that.

OP
OP
Philvarah

Philvarah

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT Splash
Occupation
Sales

I thought with starting add Intercooler, CAI, Down Pipes, Blow off Valve, Exhaust, custom Tune I could get to 340-350 HP. Tune can get 50HP... That's brings to 320 HP... Add other mods to get 20-30 HP with stock turbo. I no mustangs performance have gotten 400+ HP...
Want to use stock turbo and maximize custom tune with mods to get close to 350 HP if possible.... Stay under 400 HP to not stress out block and top end.

yamahaSHO

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jaztuning.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Ranger, 23 Maverick, 04 S2000, 07 Sky RL
Occupation
ECU Calibration - USAF Retired
Vehicle Showcase
A bigger turbo will hit those higher numbers more easily and be safer than spinning the stock turbo like hell.

You're very optimistic for your gains.

OP
OP
Philvarah

Philvarah

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales
A bigger turbo will hit those higher numbers more easily and be safer than spinning the stock turbo like hell.

Understood...

OP
OP
Philvarah

Philvarah

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales

Perhaps a performance turbo upgrade is needed to get another 25 HP.
If goal was to play on the street with the bigger Rams and Chevys... Perhaps run out a stock F150 3.5.... Not sure... Found out the new 2022 F150 XLT 4x4 is only 300 pounds heavier than the Ranger...

OP
OP
Philvarah

Philvarah

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales
Perhaps a performance turbo upgrade is needed to get another 25 HP.
If goal was to play on the street with the bigger Rams and Chevys... Perhaps run out a stock F150 3.5.... Not sure... Found out the new 2022 F150 XLT 4x4 is only 300 pounds heavier than the Ranger...
And new F150 3.5 has 400 HP stock... Not talking Raptor that has 50 HP more.. Chevy 6.2 has 420 HP... But there std V8 5.3 has 355 HP... Ram Hemi has 370 HP..
Thinking now that getting to 350+ HP ... Spending over $3K is not gonna work...
So maybe just a Performance Tune, CAI, Exhaust and call it a day... Spending another $2K+ more on a new turbo upgrade and Intercooler/pipes and other upgrades is not worth it... Damn.