Tom Woods Driveshaft ordered and installed!

MIBuckeye

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor
We've got to finish with this can of worms before we open another one.
You won't even entertain a custom one-off shaft for a Tremor? How does one get a one-off custom shaft built?

On a related note, what are your thoughts on the rzeppa joint used on the rear of the Tremor shaft? Is it necessary? I read recently of you making jeep shafts where you replace these with standard ujoints.
Sponsored

Shawn at Tom Wood's

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vespa Scooter
Occupation
Drive shaft guy
You won't even entertain a custom one-off shaft for a Tremor? How does one get a one-off custom shaft built?

On a related note, what are your thoughts on the rzeppa joint used on the rear of the Tremor shaft? Is it necessary? I read recently of you making jeep shafts where you replace these with standard ujoints.
Find me a stock drive shaft and a stock rear pinion flange and we've got a deal. If it's possible at least.

AZRanger

First Name
Lane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
I fix Pink jeeps
Just ordered mine. Driveshaft has developed several issues since lifting.

Whiplash

First Name
Kern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4 / 2004 Mazda RX8
Occupation
Route driver
Just ordered mine. Driveshaft has developed several issues since lifting.
I will be ordering one too.....I just need to get under the truck and measure length and Pinon flange angle..... (something I forgot to do after ater my last lift adjustments going 1/2" higher in Coilover , 1"" higher in rear with the ICON leaf springs......want to know going in what to expect for possible need to shim for angles to get phase angles correct......

Whiplash

First Name
Kern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Route driver
Tom Woods one piece on it's way.... Yesterday my carrier bearing made the whistle/ squeal sound of failing....
So, I quit dithering, got my butt under the the truck , took measurements and placed my order...I have done some substantial mods to my suspension and I didn't want to wait for the dealer to look at it, and then deny warranty replacement becuase of the mods.....Besides that it was probably my fault for not doing the phasing of driveshaft angles, and I would rather pay to replace with a one piece than pay for new 2 piece...

Now I have a question for the smart guys on this site, and those that have done the swap...I'm running a 3" lift on the front and 1" lift ( leaf springs) in the rear. there is a 8° difference between the flange angles of front transfer case and rear pinion, and have already purchased four 4° shims to do the proper phasing.... I was just wondering how much every one else had to adjust their pinion angle....

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Tom Woods one piece on it's way.... Yesterday my carrier bearing made the whistle/ squeal sound of failing....
So, I quit dithering, got my butt under the the truck , took measurements and placed my order...I have done some substantial mods to my suspension and I didn't want to wait for the dealer to look at it, and then deny warranty replacement becuase of the mods.....Besides that it was probably my fault for not doing the phasing of driveshaft angles, and I would rather pay to replace with a one piece than pay for new 2 piece...

Now I have a question for the smart guys on this site, and those that have done the swap...I'm running a 3" lift on the front and 1" lift ( leaf springs) in the rear. there is a 8° difference between the flange angles of front transfer case and rear pinion, and have already purchased four 4° shims to do the proper phasing.... I was just wondering how much every one else had to adjust their pinion angle....
Didn't bother to adjust. I have 2.5 in front and .75 in the rear (also springs).

Whiplash

First Name
Kern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Route driver
Didn't bother to adjust. I have 2.5 in front and .75 in the rear (also springs).
I was just trying to maximize the life of the U-,joints ...I read some where that that the operational range is up to 15°...My plan is set the rear static pinion angle 1° lower than the front flange and to give the diff angle room to tilt and match the front under a load or acceleration, (the dynamic measurement)...some grinding on the shims will be required and wondered if it will be worth the effort.....or am I just over thinking....

Tbalt14

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Electronic tech
I think your product is definitely helping some who have this issue. One thing to remember is the forum only has 15K members and some onlookers from non members. I don't think the majority of those who have this problem know about your 1 piece DS and even know there's a potential fix for it. If you haven't already try some of the social media sites like Facebook, YouTube and Instagram. It seems like many turn there now a days then to forums. Hopefully they see this and it'll be a win both you both!
The problem most of us are having with changing the shaft to the one piece is not wanting to have our factory warranty voided from having a non-factory shaft installed. The service manager at my dealer said Ford would more than likely void the warranty if I install the one piece. I want to but not really willing to take a chance.
Actually thought about dumping the truck and switching back to GM because never had vibrations with any of the 5 GM's. 1st Ford I've tried and it really bugs me.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
The problem most of us are having with changing the shaft to the one piece is not wanting to have our factory warranty voided from having a non-factory shaft installed. The service manager at my dealer said Ford would more than likely void the warranty if I install the one piece. I want to but not really willing to take a chance.
Actually thought about dumping the truck and switching back to GM because never had vibrations with any of the 5 GM's. 1st Ford I've tried and it really bugs me.
They can't just 'void the warranty' in it's entirety. They could refuse to warranty thing related to the shaft, but they'd need to have a reasonable case to show that the 1-piece was part of the problem being addressed.

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
Even then they would have to have a strong case that the driveshaft caused the problem.

And many of us have had them installed for thousands of miles with only outstanding results. It will truly transform your truck.

It may actually drive as smooth as your last 5 GM trucks!

Whiplash

First Name
Kern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Route driver
Update to my previous posts ;

I installed the Woods one peice, shimmed the Pinion angle to get the difference in flange angles within 4° of each other.....Huge difference at highway speeds....what I perceived to be vibration caused by my offroad tires is gone.....truck feels more lively , like power from transfer case is finding it's way more efficiently to the rear wheels....

Add me to list of satisfied customers.

Joranger2023

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ranger
Occupation
Heavy equipment operator
I've been considering this as I have the launch shudder. however all the talk about not being able to run over 90 is holding me back. the speed limit is 75-80mph most of where I drive on the highway and I occasionally run up over 90 for a min or two while overtaking an oil field truck. if it didn't have the critical speed so low as to cause a problem I'd already have one.
With a one piece drive shaft you can’t go over 90mph?

Whiplash

First Name
Kern
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Route driver
With a one piece drive shaft you can’t go over 90mph?
Critical speed is calculated by shaft RPM....tire size and gear ratio are the variables....there is a calculater on the Tom Woods site...some that have run their numbers say the 1 piece is good for 100+....90 is all I need....If I want to go fast I will get in my mid life crisis car Mazda RX8, capable of 150mph..

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
According to the Spicer / Dana calculator you are safe to go to the rev limiter(110mph) and more. The TW Driveshaft rated substantially superior to the Ford 2 piece, which BTW, is sourced from Spicer/Dana. Not equal to or slightly better - SUBSTANTIALLY better.

From my perspective, you are at greater risk at those speeds with the stock Ford 2 piece driveshaft than you are with the TW one piece driveshaft.

That's not me making this claim, it is Spicer/Dana (Ford's driveshaft manufacturer) via their online Driveshaft Modeling Tool which rates the Critical Speeds using their components and parts.

And don't take my word for it, put the numbers in yourself. The calculator is free and easy to use. I posted the results in this thread months ago with a link to the Spicer / Dana calculator. In that same post I listed the configuration of the driveshafts, the parts each were built with, and lengths.

The severe high speed shakes that my truck exhibited at >75mph were so bad that I feared going over 70mph in my truck. I am not kidding. It wasn't just the annoying low speed takeoff and slowing shudder that concerned me. I was at the point of either fixing the truck or selling it. Keeping it as it was, was not an option. Installing the TW driveshaft cured that problem! I now have confidence in my truck being safe at those speeds. I have not ever taken my truck to 100mph, but I have been close for short distances, and it has been smooth as butter. Not even a hint of a vibration. As an unexpected bonus. my transmission now behaves itself. Rough and abrupt shifting patterns are gone.

Do what you want. It is your truck. But I know first hand the results. And they were better than I could have hoped for. Thanks again Shawn, and TW! The TW driveshaft was worth every penny! And was BY FAR, the best money I have spent on my Ranger. And I love my AMP Research Power Steps.

I have an almost new Ford Driveshaft sitting in my garage for anyone who wants it for FREE. I would feel guilty selling it. In all honesty, I feel a little guilty for offering it for free.
Sponsored

Last edited: