Vehicle Showcase

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I hear something when I take off every once in a while, I can be like the 30th witness though to say it feels like I'm driving on baseballs whenever I come to a stop. The brakes can't make up their mind how much they want to "assist" and the truck bounces all over. My (motion sick) wife just loves it... Basically if I push the brakes like there is an egg under my foot, it's mostly smooth, but any harder and it's not smooth at all.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I hear something when I take off every once in a while, I can be like the 30th witness though to say it feels like I'm driving on baseballs whenever I come to a stop. The brakes can't make up their mind how much they want to "assist" and the truck bounces all over. My (motion sick) wife just loves it... Basically if I push the brakes like there is an egg under my foot, it's mostly smooth, but any harder and it's not smooth at all.
TSB: SSM 47789 - 2019 Ranger – Rough Brake Application

OP
OP
PonyXpress

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
The sounds could be coming from the brakes for sure. I'm glad to see this tsb and cannot wait to see if it addresses everything or not.

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4 Off Road
Occupation
Technical
As I slow down to stop, I hear and feel a thump sound as the weight of the truck rocks back at a full stop. It's like the front struts are not tight or aligned correctly. I had a something like this on my Mustang and it turned out to be the front strut top mounts, replaced those and it went away. Our new trucks should be able to unload the front suspension smoothly, but mine is not.

I'm likely not explaining this very well, but I would like to know if others notice this as well. I could take a video if that helps.
Took mine in right after I bought it for this issue. Found out that the slip joint needed grease. Fixed.

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Took mine in right after I bought it for this issue. Found out that the slip joint needed grease. Fixed.
I plan to do this too, eventually. Been lazy lately. Im 100% sure that is what causes a little thud when I release my brake pedal and start going.
Pretty common on the f150s

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
Had my '19 XLT 2WD at the dealer for this (and other things) this past weekend.

I was told the tech couldn't replicate the problem, and that it might be because the truck was "cold".

I explained to the advisor that when I brought it in, I told them temperature was irrelevant, as the "thump" happened pretty much any time I came to a stop (and sometimes upon starting from a stop) whether the truck was just cranked or had been driven for 50 miles.

I'll have to make another appointment just for this so we can have someone ride with me, I suppose.

Sigh......

Rowan

First Name
Rowan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2020
Just got my Ranger Raptor 3 days ago. From the moment I drove off the lot I heard that thump / clunk sound when going over bumps. Today just discovered it only happens when I take my foot off the gas and glide when going over bumps. If I keep the gas on, no thump.

Was going to take it back to the dealer but have considered it is just the raptors way of telling me to take it off the leash.....?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Just got my Ranger Raptor 3 days ago. From the moment I drove off the lot I heard that thump / clunk sound when going over bumps. Today just discovered it only happens when I take my foot off the gas and glide when going over bumps. If I keep the gas on, no thump.

Was going to take it back to the dealer but have considered it is just the raptors way of telling me to take it off the leash.....?
Hi Rowan,

Do you have a two piece driveshaft on your Ranger? Many times this thump is due to spline lockup of the driveline. Dealer should be able to lube the splines and it seems to be effective in stopping the thump.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Rowan

First Name
Rowan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2020
Hi Rowan,

Do you have a two piece driveshaft on your Ranger? Many times this thump is due to spline lockup of the driveline. Dealer should be able to lube the splines and it seems to be effective in stopping the thump.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Thanks Phil, I will head in to the dealer this week and relay your thoughts and report back their findings.

On a positive note...what an awesome car the Raptor is (Even with the thump). After owning a German luxury car and a Hilux for the past 5 years, I can without any hesitation say the Raptor feels as luxurious In its drive and interior and as solid as a Hilux. It is the best of both worlds, comfort and utility, and is unparalleled in my book. Caught my 5 year old son and I just staring at it for a good 10 minutes in our driveway. Well done team Ford ????

Rowan

First Name
Rowan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Raptor 2020
Hi Phil

Just back from the Ford service center. On arrival I did a test drive with the foreman. He heard the sound I referred to and agreed it was coming from the front left wheel area. After the the test drive he got under the car and checked and tightened everything. He then checked wheel pressure and drive settings including putting the car in various drive modes. The clunk persisted.
After calling a few other technicians over one said he had had a similar case and it was the fox suspension leaking. They checked the suspension and all was in order (No fluid leakage).

Resulting diagnosis is that it is likely the fox suspension and that I should keep monitoring it over the coming weeks /months and it might be stiff. If it gets worse they will replace it under warranty.

Have you seen this before and does it make sense?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Phil

Just back from the Ford service center. On arrival I did a test drive with the foreman. He heard the sound I referred to and agreed it was coming from the front left wheel area. After the the test drive he got under the car and checked and tightened everything. He then checked wheel pressure and drive settings including putting the car in various drive modes. The clunk persisted.
After calling a few other technicians over one said he had had a similar case and it was the fox suspension leaking. They checked the suspension and all was in order (No fluid leakage).

Resulting diagnosis is that it is likely the fox suspension and that I should keep monitoring it over the coming weeks /months and it might be stiff. If it gets worse they will replace it under warranty.

Have you seen this before and does it make sense?
Hi Rowan,

Yes it does, with new information of the left front location. However if it is causing a thump it indicated something is loose or not tightened properly. Sounds like driving it will not really hurt anything but will be annoying. What I might recommend is a call to Fox and explain the dealer assessment and see if they might offer something to further diagnose.

Good Luck!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
my 2021 with 754 miles has this very same issue. i also have the vibration on acceleration from a stop to 10mph. rest of the time is smooth. i will note that if i am coming to a stop and throw the trans in neutral, it never does it.

to me, my issue is an unlubed spline and pinion angle off somewhat. getting the dealer to see it that way, who knows.

others say theirs did it but went away after 2000-2500 miles or so- eluding to it being the trans learning. trying to make an appt now and can't get thru to them. having my sales guy help there. I get to test my new fancy ford esp with 1st day rental.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
In the past I have noticed this clunk at a stop and concluded that it is the trans hunting between gears or the converter clutch releasing. I think that I can make it do it by not coming to a complete and then pushing on the gas there by confusing the trans shifting. The trans to create 10 speeds has various different clutch packs and overrun clutches plus the converter clutch that have to apply and release depending on what the driver input is. Plus you have some slack in your drive line ie. 4X4 transfer case ,slip yoke and differential gears. I deemed it normal and havent noticed it lately.
Sponsored