thump when coming to a complete stop?

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
As I slow down to stop, I hear and feel a thump sound as the weight of the truck rocks back at a full stop. It's like the front struts are not tight or aligned correctly. I had a something like this on my Mustang and it turned out to be the front strut top mounts, replaced those and it went away. Our new trucks should be able to unload the front suspension smoothly, but mine is not.

I'm likely not explaining this very well, but I would like to know if others notice this as well. I could take a video if that helps.
Sponsored

RangerCat

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I get something different when I stop. It feels like I am running over small bumps and then just as I come to a stop, it feels like the amount of braking changes...almost like I hit ice..it feels like it gets smoother and accelerates slightly and then stops. It's strange. I don't think it makes any sound though. I'll make a point of listening the next time I stop.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
As I slow down to stop, I hear and feel a thump sound as the weight of the truck rocks back at a full stop. It's like the front struts are not tight or aligned correctly. I had a something like this on my Mustang and it turned out to be the front strut top mounts, replaced those and it went away. Our new trucks should be able to unload the front suspension smoothly, but mine is not.

I'm likely not explaining this very well, but I would like to know if others notice this as well. I could take a video if that helps.
Take it to dealer. My jeep came from factory with the front sway bar loose.

Better to have them look at it

OP
OP
PonyXpress

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
@RangerCat roll down your windows, turn off the blower fan and radio, and let us know if you hear the thump sound as the truck rocks back. Even though my description is not the same as your, we may be talking about the same thing. Mine too feels like I'm running over small bumps right before it comes to a stop. You may have just described it better than I did.

@Hownddog409 - good point. If something is loose, better get that fixed asap. I just hit 500 miles and I'll take i to the dealer tomorrow to inspect it.

LOL, no dead bodies rolling around. I always roll those in carpet :crackup:

HighFivenWhiteGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I am having the same problem. I have to be VERY gentle on the brakes to come to a smooth stop. Ugh, I'll just add this to the list of things that need to be looked at.

OP
OP
PonyXpress

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I just did some tests in the parking lot. If you start out slow and keep your speed low, and then come to smooth stop, there is no thump and the truck doesn't rock back. However, one you get enough speed up and then come to a stop, it loads the front suspension and the sound and rock back is when the suspension unloads. You can hear a sound when this happens, but it's not that loud.

Mine is going on the rack tomorrow for inspection. I'l share the results afterwards.

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
I have the same thing. I, however, thought it sounded like the back seat wasn't fully secured last time I pulled it forward, so I wasn't too worried, but I keep forgetting to check it.
Now these responses have me a little worried though so I will check as soon as I get back to my truck.

RangerCat

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
@RangerCat roll down your windows, turn off the blower fan and radio, and let us know if you hear the thump sound as the truck rocks back. Even though my description is not the same as your, we may be talking about the same thing. Mine too feels like I'm running over small bumps right before it comes to a stop. You may have just described it better than I did.

@Hownddog409 - good point. If something is loose, better get that fixed asap. I just hit 500 miles and I'll take i to the dealer tomorrow to inspect it.

LOL, no dead bodies rolling around. I always roll those in carpet :crackup:
I paid close attention today and I definitely don't hear a thump. Please update us after you have had the dealership look at your Ranger. Good luck!

Renman333

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Crew Lariat
I get something different when I stop. It feels like I am running over small bumps and then just as I come to a stop, it feels like the amount of braking changes...almost like I hit ice..it feels like it gets smoother and accelerates slightly and then stops. It's strange. I don't think it makes any sound though. I'll make a point of listening the next time I stop.
Same here. Little jittery bumps(vibration) coming to a completes stop. Ever so slightly but annoying, I keep thinking it's road conditions.......

OP
OP
PonyXpress

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Same here. Little jittery bumps(vibration) coming to a completes stop. Ever so slightly but annoying, I keep thinking it's road conditions.......
Good description and that is one of the things mine is doing also. Mine was on the alignment rack today and they checked my entire suspension. They found all of the bottom front strut bolts were not at spec, he tighten them and all good. The front top bolts were good, sway bar and everything else was good. It seems to have helped, but the issue hasn't completely gone away. The weird part is sometimes it does not do it, meaning it stops very smooth and no rocking back.

They did tell me that it could be the new auto trans down shifting, but I'm not too sure about that one.

I'm not going to worry about it, now that I know it has been fully inspected. If it gets worse, I have 3 years or 36k miles to find and have it fixed.

Renman333

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Crew Lariat
Good description and that is one of the things mine is doing also. Mine was on the alignment rack today and they checked my entire suspension. They found all of the bottom front strut bolts were not at spec, he tighten them and all good. The front top bolts were good, sway bar and everything else was good. It seems to have helped, but the issue hasn't completely gone away. The weird part is sometimes it does not do it, meaning it stops very smooth and no rocking back.

They did tell me that it could be the new auto trans down shifting, but I'm not too sure about that one.

I'm not going to worry about it, now that I know it has been fully inspected. If it gets worse, I have 3 years or 36k miles to find and have it fixed.
Interesting, As I was driving it today, I thought this could be from the transmission, because it seems to do it on the very last downshift.

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting, As I was driving it today, I thought this could be from the transmission, because it seems to do it on the very last downshift.
Switch to manual shifts in sport mode and see if it still happens?

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
check the bed of your truck for a body. could be rolling around unrestrained.
Or the bowling ball. LOL an old and true story. Here is another one. My old spinster typing teacher came in to the shop and said my car is making a horny noise.:LOL:

OP
OP
PonyXpress

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Switch to manual shifts in sport mode and see if it still happens?
I have not tried that, but I will. There was a tsb about rough trans shifting, not sure this related or not, or what the fix is for that tsb.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I have not tried that, but I will. There was a tsb about rough trans shifting, not sure this related or not, or what the fix is for that tsb.
When was your truck built? That will tell you if you might be affected by the TSB.
Sponsored