Brake stutter when coming to complete stop

HighFivenWhiteGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I just wanted to post a follow-up to my original post on this subject. I have done a lot more testing to try to isolate the problem. Like others, I have found that the clunk is not related to shifting gears because I too have put it in manual, kept it in first gear and still usually get a clunk just as I come to complete stop. The stutter that many have mentioned is different than the clunk. I have had the stutter, but not all the time and I have not been able to nail down when it happens. The clunk happens almost every single time. However, I also have shifted the truck to neutral from normal speed and come to a complete stop and there is absolutely no clunk or stutter ever, none at all. So it definitely is not brake or suspension related in my view. Both the clunk and clutter have to be transmission/drive train related. Also, when I have shifted into neutral to come to a complete stop and then shift back into drive I usually get a hard shift into gear. Much harder than the normal shift from park to drive or reverse to drive. Sometimes, it is almost like a double shift...a soft one followed by a hard shift and I think I have felt a clunk in that process a time or two, but not sure. At times, the transmission seems confused or just jerky.

Another thing I will note is that most of the posts on this thread seem to be Rangers with an FX4 package. While I do not have the FX4 package, I do have the electronic locking rear differential that is part of the FX4 package. I wonder if that says something?

I still have not taken it in for service...I just don't want to hear "that is normal" because it is not. I need hard enough evidence that what is happening is not normal so they will take a hard look and figure this thing out because it is annoying.
What you have described matches my experience completely. I even tried putting the Ranger in neutral before coming to a stop and sure enough no clunk. Curious what you find out!
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
That makes me think even more that the driveshafts are binding...

OP
OP

Truck2019

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I'm getting ready to take the ole' girl in for her first service. Curious if anyone pulled the driveshaft apart and lubed it up or had a dealer do it? I am definitely going to bring it up, but it would be nice to have some confirmation. All in all, very happy with the truck. Having the following done...

• Complimentary oil change
  • Both front driver and passenger doors have cable rattle with certain bass frequencies. They just need to be wrapped.
  • Part of the black plastic on the chrome running board on the driver's side is coming off, just need additional adhesive.
  • I notice a dent right in the center of the hood near the front shortly after taking ownership and made mention to the sales rep. Hoping they will fixed it at no charge or discount it. Received a quote at a body shop and they wanted $125 :crying:
  • Going to ask about making the auxiliary power time out at 60 minutes instead of 10 minutes (so I can listen to the radio on lunch without having to push the button every 10 minutes.
  • Have them check out the driveshaft in hopes to fix the stutter/clunk

All pretty minimal stuff.

lpgonzales

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4 Crew Cab
I'm getting ready to take the ole' girl in for her first service. Curious if anyone pulled the driveshaft apart and lubed it up or had a dealer do it? I am definitely going to bring it up, but it would be nice to have some confirmation. All in all, very happy with the truck. Having the following done...

• Complimentary oil change
  • Both front driver and passenger doors have cable rattle with certain bass frequencies. They just need to be wrapped.
  • Part of the black plastic on the chrome running board on the driver's side is coming off, just need additional adhesive.
  • I notice a dent right in the center of the hood near the front shortly after taking ownership and made mention to the sales rep. Hoping they will fixed it at no charge or discount it. Received a quote at a body shop and they wanted $125 :crying:
  • Going to ask about making the auxiliary power time out at 60 minutes instead of 10 minutes (so I can listen to the radio on lunch without having to push the button every 10 minutes.
  • Have them check out the driveshaft in hopes to fix the stutter/clunk

All pretty minimal stuff.
How about an update after the service appointment? Did they address they fix the stutter/clunk?

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OK, good news... And bad...

Good news: I have not noticed the odd braking issue since yesterday, The bad news is I had my rear driver side axle shaft replaced and the rear brakes turned with new pads. This seems to have completely cleaned up the braking issue on my truck.

The reason for the axle was they said it was bent causing my brakes to be warped after a few thousand miles.

I think the bent rear axleshaft was the cause of the inconsistent braking as my truck had the inconsistencies even before it started trashing the rear brakes. Truck has 18,2XX miles on it now, so you all might not be seeing any brake pulsing yet. The brakes have been toast 2x once at 8K and once again starting around 16K.

I'll try and pay attention more this afternoon as I've only driven about 120 miles since they were fixed :)

Allen_rubin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport
I have the same thing, 2WD super crew XLT sport. To me itā€™s pretty normal, Iā€™ve driven in other trucks with the similar feeling. GMC 2500 with Allison trans.... my older 94 grand Cherokee did it as well.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the same thing, 2WD super crew XLT sport. To me itā€™s pretty normal, Iā€™ve driven in other trucks with the similar feeling. GMC 2500 with Allison trans.... my older 94 grand Cherokee did it as well.
I'm saying that after Ford replaced a half shaft in the rear of my truck I'm pretty sure it's gone entirely. Even the transmission jerky feeling I was getting (feels like you're fighting the trans) seems to be gone.

Allen_rubin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport
I'm saying that after Ford replaced a half shaft in the rear of my truck I'm pretty sure it's gone entirely. Even the transmission jerky feeling I was getting (feels like you're fighting the trans) seems to be gone.
Interesting, maybe Iā€™ll take it in when I need my service done. Mine is hit or miss with it, but sometimes Iā€™ll already be stopped and then the clunk hits.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Same here. I think my failure mode was 1. the axle was bent or machined improperly, 2. it would let the brakes get all wobbly, 3. Gear oil would leak onto the pads.

All of that would cause the brakes to feel inconsistent and my guess is send false or weak signals to the transmission about what the brakes are doing. (It's a long shot).

Other than that, I can't explain what else might have changed as it's the only thing they made changes to during this visit.

OP
OP

Truck2019

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I had to postpone the service appointment that was scheduled for this week. I'll keep everyone posted once I get it in for service.

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Explorer Sport
My truck just started this. It feels almost like the rear settles in with a felt clunk (donā€™t hear anything) right as I come to a stop. Then the same clunk when I start moving with a feeling like the truck is coming back out of being ā€œsettled inā€ in the rear. Based on my reading, it sure sounds to be exactly the same as the dry slip yoke issue that is really
common with the f150 crowd (Toyota too).

Allen_rubin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport
My truck just started this. It feels almost like the rear settles in with a felt clunk (donā€™t hear anything) right as I come to a stop. Then the same clunk when I start moving with a feeling like the truck is coming back out of being ā€œsettled inā€ in the rear. Based on my reading, it sure sounds to be exactly the same as the dry slip yoke issue that is really
common with the f150 crowd (Toyota too).
Something dealer has to take care of Iā€™m assuming?

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Something dealer has to take care of Iā€™m assuming?
Assuming thatā€™s actually the issue, I could do it myself but I donā€™t feel like I should have to since itā€™s still well under factory warranty. Iā€™ll be going to the dealer this week.

HoosierT

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Assuming thatā€™s actually the issue, I could do it myself but I donā€™t feel like I should have to since itā€™s still well under factory warranty. Iā€™ll be going to the dealer this week.
For a little more context, mine doesnā€™t do it when I first start driving and things are cold. It only occurs after Iā€™ve been driving at speed for a few. After that, itā€™ll happen during 90% of my stops.

The behavior is so prevalent with Toyotas that they finally just added zerks all along the driveshaft and greasing is part of standard maintenance.

Allen_rubin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport
For a little more context, mine doesnā€™t do it when I first start driving and things are cold. It only occurs after Iā€™ve been driving at speed for a few. After that, itā€™ll happen during 90% of my stops.

The behavior is so prevalent with Toyotas that they finally just added zerks all along the driveshaft and greasing is part of standard maintenance.
Yea mine is hit or miss. So taking it in and having them try to make it happen is always impossible. Sigh
Sponsored