Threw in the towel on my Ranger

Ranger Lariat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hot Wheel
I did as well last week. Loved the exterior looks and engine performance. Only real complaint and a deal breaker was the random vibrations and lack of dealer support. It seems like quality control was lacking in some areas. I was really hoping to keep the truck for its lifetime but had been dealing with neck/back pain and very long commutes were unbearable. The 2wd SCAB was fine for my every day needs as I only needed a bed and not 4Ă—4. Still have the old Frontier for bed use and sold Ranger to Carvana with 19k miles on it. Purchased new Aaugust 2021. New ride is a 2022 Mazda3 and very impressed with the quality and attention to detail on interior finishes. Thought I would kinda regret getting rid of the Ranger but glad I did. Long daily work commutes average 37mpg and a blast to drive. Overall very impressed for a cheaper compact car. Test drove new Kia Forte & Honda Civic but the Mazda felt a step above
In 40 or so years of buying (only ever new) cars I can say hands down, no doubt, absolutely, my wife’s 2019 Mazda CX-5 is the best car I’ve ever owned. The “bang for the buck”, the fit and finish, the driving feel, and the so far anyway reliability (zero, not one issue) can’t be beat. Too bad THEY didn’t build the Ranger!

So far, less than 2500mi on my Lariat / Tremor things are ok, can’t complain except for the fact that Ford cheeped out (well, mine suffers from a few “deleted, should have come with” items, but that’s another story) / couldn’t install a windshield properly, the recall I still haven’t dealt with for fear of what might happen to my “new” truck.

I honestly don’t feel this, owning the Ranger, will be a trouble free enjoyable relationship. I hope I’m wrong, but I have a feeling.
Sponsored

NTXTremor

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
IT
This feels like a Twitter thread with a bunch of Jeep and Mazda bots trying to make us angry. ;)

Just kidding. We all have different needs and different preferences. Good luck with your new vehicles!

im-not-robot.gif

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
In 40 or so years of buying (only ever new) cars I can say hands down, no doubt, absolutely, my wife’s 2019 Mazda CX-5 is the best car I’ve ever owned. The “bang for the buck”, the fit and finish, the driving feel, and the so far anyway reliability (zero, not one issue) can’t be beat. Too bad THEY didn’t build the Ranger!

So far, less than 2500mi on my Lariat / Tremor things are ok, can’t complain except for the fact that Ford cheeped out (well, mine suffers from a few “deleted, should have come with” items, but that’s another story) / couldn’t install a windshield properly, the recall I still haven’t dealt with for fear of what might happen to my “new” truck.

I honestly don’t feel this, owning the Ranger, will be a trouble free enjoyable relationship. I hope I’m wrong, but I have a feeling.
We have a 2019 CX-5 too and it is flawless. I have had various Mazdas since 2002 and have loved them all. Two Mazdaspeeds as well.

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I am actually looking at either a CX-30 or CX-50 (the 2.5 turbo versions as I had a 2018 Mazda 6 with one tuned and it was fantastic) and if I can find the right package and price I would actually consider trading myself.

I love my Ranger, but I really do need more room for the kid and I just want to get in and drive without any worries again. I have enough toys and the premium interior, feel, driving dynamics, etc. of a Mazda cannot be beat. I should have kept my 6, but needed something more rugged for our roads and the deal on the Ranger was amazing due to COVID lockdowns. I have so much in it and the payments are good, but I really do not need it and need more room for passengers.

lazynorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Crew Cab XLT FX4
Occupation
Public Health
Huh. I don't understand how the sheetmetal and taillights detract from the trucks ability to take you camping. Sure doesn't for me! I've logged - not counting a lifetime of backpacking nights - hundreds of car camping nights in everything from an early 90's Mazda 2wd truck to Subaru Outbacks. I'm not talking paved campgrounds, either.

Apart from upgraded AT tires, the truck is ready, stock, for nearly any location you'd go to spend the night. Touring/'overlanding' is not the same as rock crawling. I hope you find the right vehicle fit for you.

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
If you are a Mazda guy you will never be truly happy with ANY truck. Just saying.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Sold the white Ranger to driveway $3000 more than Carvana, still got the blue one (forever). I wanted some sort of sports car, I got a new 2022 Subaru WRX 6 speed manual. It’s a quick little bugger. Hit the wallet for a noisy exhaust Already….Love It ….Farewell Stumpy…

410F40B0-FA6B-4112-9662-3B856436D4E8.jpeg

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
If I were to buy a non-truck, it would be Subaru, Honda/Toyota & Mazda, all good. We liked the Mazda2 but the front suspension was a pain, tables, etc... fixed 3 times.
Enjoy your new vehicles.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
If I were to buy a non-truck, it would be Subaru, Honda/Toyota & Mazda, all good. We liked the Mazda2 but the front suspension was a pain, tables, etc... fixed 3 times.
Enjoy your new vehicles.
Thanks, sorry about the suspension problems, hope it’s ok now.

OP
OP

Smudgpot23

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Technical whiner
I've been shopping between a Bronco and a Wrangler Rubicon lately. The desire for a manual transmission is taking its toll on me, but have often wondered about the 2.0l with auto. Curious what mpg difference you see between the Ranger and the Jeep. Apples and oranges from a vehicle perspective I guess, but I'm curious what your experience is none the less.
I only have 640 miles on the odometer so far. I am averaging 21 mpg mixed driving. Thats with the stock 285 70 17 bfg ko2s.
2 weeks after I bought my Ranger I put a 3.5 inch lift on and removed the front air dam and after that I was lucky to get 19 mpg. It went down from there after adding larger tires and the roof to tent.
The 8 speed tran in the jeep is matched very well to the 2.0 and the manual mode is just that. If I put it in 7th gear on the hwy and get off and come to a stop, it will downshift to 1st and stay in 1st until I either manually start going up thru the gears or put it back in normal mode.

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Human
Sold the white Ranger to driveway $3000 more than Carvana, still got the blue one (forever). I wanted some sort of sports car, I got a new 2022 Subaru WRX 6 speed manual. It’s a quick little bugger. Hit the wallet for a noisy exhaust Already….Love It ….Farewell Stumpy…

410F40B0-FA6B-4112-9662-3B856436D4E8.jpeg
I love my BRZ.

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Human
Thanks, sorry about the suspension problems, hope it’s ok now.
It's crushed, I would buy another even with the issues.

OP
OP

Smudgpot23

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Technical whiner
Huh. I don't understand how the sheetmetal and taillights detract from the trucks ability to take you camping. Sure doesn't for me! I've logged - not counting a lifetime of backpacking nights - hundreds of car camping nights in everything from an early 90's Mazda 2wd truck to Subaru Outbacks. I'm not talking paved campgrounds, either.

Apart from upgraded AT tires, the truck is ready, stock, for nearly any location you'd go to spend the night. Touring/'overlanding' is not the same as rock crawling. I hope you find the right vehicle fit for you.
When I'm offroading I encounter obstacles that can rub against body panels and if the panels are flimsy tin foil like, the damage will likely be more than just paint. The taillights are also a problem since they are so big there is a greater chance of damaging them when backing or sliding into another object. And at $1100 or more to replace that takes some enjoyment out of camping.
If I had adult supervision I probably wouldn't get into trouble. But, wheres the fun in that ?
Sponsored