First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Occupation
Security Supervisor
I am on the verge of trading my 2019 XLT Sport 2WD (302A) for a 2021 XLT Sport 4WD (302A). Just waiting, like many of you are, for the truck to arrive. I am told it is now in Texas, but who really knows at this point, right?

Anyway, I have a couple of questions about things that you all are familiar with and I am sure I am not...and I'm hoping you can help me know what to expect once the truck does arrive.

Is there any difference much in the stock suspension between the 2WD and the regular 4WD? (This will not be an FX4 or a Tremor)
I had to replace the suspension in my current truck with the Ford/Fox level kit in order to get the mushiness out of the front end and reduce the side-side wallowing and am hoping not to have to do that again in the new truck.

This will be my daily driver and will rarely go off-pavement (until I retire), and I'm also wondering if there will be a noticeable differnce in fuel mileage? I currently get about 25mpg on my daily commute, and yes I do drive like an old man most of the time--keeping around 70 on the freeway and staying in the right lane where I belong :)

For those of you with the newer trucks, have you noticed anything else that I might be surprised to find...or NOT find in the new truck? I am aware I'll be giving up my middle tie-downs and the rear folding headrests I currently enjoy having (can I just remove the headrests altogether?). Anything else I might want/need to know?

Thanks in advance for your insights!
Chris
Sponsored

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
I am on the verge of trading my 2019 XLT Sport 2WD (302A) for a 2021 XLT Sport 4WD (302A). Just waiting, like many of you are, for the truck to arrive. I am told it is now in Texas, but who really knows at this point, right?

Anyway, I have a couple of questions about things that you all are familiar with and I am sure I am not...and I'm hoping you can help me know what to expect once the truck does arrive.

Is there any difference much in the stock suspension between the 2WD and the regular 4WD? (This will not be an FX4 or a Tremor)
I had to replace the suspension in my current truck with the Ford/Fox level kit in order to get the mushiness out of the front end and reduce the side-side wallowing and am hoping not to have to do that again in the new truck.

This will be my daily driver and will rarely go off-pavement (until I retire), and I'm also wondering if there will be a noticeable differnce in fuel mileage? I currently get about 25mpg on my daily commute, and yes I do drive like an old man most of the time--keeping around 70 on the freeway and staying in the right lane where I belong :)

For those of you with the newer trucks, have you noticed anything else that I might be surprised to find...or NOT find in the new truck? I am aware I'll be giving up my middle tie-downs and the rear folding headrests I currently enjoy having (can I just remove the headrests altogether?). Anything else I might want/need to know?

Chris
You'll probably want to replace the shocks. As for mileage, it's hard to tell. I've never gotten 25, but just between 2wd and 4wd I would expect a few miles less, probably.

You'll lose the glove box damper and light, the little extra tray in the console (if you even have it now). And, you could always remove the 2 tie downs from your current truck, we won't tell. :)

And yes, you can remove the headrests... or just swap them between the trucks.

OP
OP
Chris M

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Security Supervisor
Based on my experience, you should get about 21-23.5 MPG with 4x4. Headwinds kill MPG
I can dig it. They kill the mpg on 2WD too. Thanks!

OP
OP
Chris M

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Security Supervisor
You'll probably want to replace the shocks. As for mileage, it's hard to tell. I've never gotten 25, but just between 2wd and 4wd I would expect a few miles less, probably.

You'll lose the glove box damper and light, the little extra tray in the console (if you even have it now). And, you could always remove the 2 tie downs from your current truck, we won't tell. :)
So are the shocks the same on the 2WD and regular 4WD?

Reactions: Doc

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I do hope that you have driven the 4WD version.

While there are solid principles in handling set-ups, the feel and response can be very subjective.

I have an STX SuperCab 2WD and I found the 4WD to be much more "Mushy"(Pliant)
I am satisfied with the stock set-up, but I will be looking closely at my tire choices when the time comes.
One thing I learned in SCCA about handling...
A vehicle is tires, and the rest of the chassis is to make the tires work.

OP
OP
Chris M

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Security Supervisor

While there are solid principles in handling set-ups, the feel and response can be very subjective.

I am satisfied with the stock set-up, but I will be looking closely at my tire choices when the time comes.
I have owned 4WD trucks in years past, (even a 90's Ranger) but have not driven the current Ranger iteration of it. The dealer did not have one to drive yet. I'm prepared for the ride to be some different, and that's why I thought I'd ask about everyone's experiences with it so far. I am also prepared to change out what's necessary to make it ride so that I can be comfortable driving it safely.
Thanks for the reminder about the tires also! Sticker says they're AT's of some unnamed brand, so I assume I need to expect a different sound/feel from those than I do with my current Continental's.

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5

Agreed, without contact, all the torque and HP in the world are useless.

Good luck Chris, hope you get your new ride before too long. I am expecting delivery today of some Eibach shocks for the rear of my 2020 4WD in the hopes it will contain some of the waddle it has going over railroad tracks and whatnot. I have a RC 2.5 level kit which didn't really address anything other than appearance IMO, nor was I expecting it to. If you want to settle the ride down, consider doing rear shocks before lift/level.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.

Chris
Chris,
Think you drive like an old man? I'm down to 65mph on Freeways...that makes me "old as dirt" :giggle: :LOL:

1637341210701.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chris M

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Security Supervisor
Dealer just notified me the truck is in a railyard in AZ, and should be on the lot either tonight or tomorrow. I'll get to see and drive it Sunday. I'm excited...and nervous.

Thanks again for your insights!

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I'd ask the dealership to swap the Fox stuff over to the new truck. I replaced the shocks/struts on my XLT 4x4 an feel it was the second best upgrade I made. Only the tune made the truck more improved.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
I'd ask the dealership to swap the Fox stuff over to the new truck. I replaced the shocks/struts on my XLT 4x4 an feel it was the second best upgrade I made. Only the tune made the truck more improved.
Definitely bring "the Fox stuff" over if you can. That was the best upgrade I ever made, with the tune coming in a close second!

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Chris
I miss the fold down headrests on the rear seat. Especially the one on the passenger side because it makes a Blindspot with it on and there's nowhere to stash them when you don't want it on there..

I miss the foldable rearview mirrors because I have a tight ass garage and once I'm in I'd like to fold them in with the button so I can walk by them with these.

OP
OP
Chris M

Chris M

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Security Supervisor
Definitely bring "the Fox stuff" over if you can. That was the best upgrade I ever made, with the tune coming in a close second!
I can't, as the potential deal is they get the truck "as is". And frankly, don't want to as I don't think I'm going to level the new truck. If I can't stand the ride, I'll do something to stiffen the front without a level, or certainly without much of one. That's the plan, anyway.

But you know how that goes. Everyone has a plan til they get punched in the head and then it all goes out the window from there.
Sponsored