First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Technical whiner
After 2 + years with 2020 my XLT sport 4x4 I somewhat reluctantly traded it off. I spent a fair amount of money attempting to overcome some of its shortcomings.
I used it mostly for "lite" overlanding. Never spent more than a few days in the bush due to work. It did remarkably well off road after putting Eiback coilovers on.
The Roof nest RTT was a joy especially after I upgraded from a RCI rack to the RSI smart cap.
The things that I couldn't get over were the extremely flimsy beer can sheet metal it was made with. The cartoonishly huge and ridiculously expensive rear LED taillights. It was a short production vehicle here and is never going to have much aftermarket support and what products are available seem to be way over priced. The 10R80 may have been a future problem waiting to happen.
I loved the power of that 2.3 and the way the truck looked. The armrests were in a uncomfortable location but I found the seats very comfortable and had plenty of leg room. Interior noise levels were very low and the AC worked well. The windshield was just to massive and in the summer there was so much heat that the AC had to tun at full tilt just to keep comfortable.
All said, it was an good truck. Just not for what I was needing it for. This forum was an awesome source of knowledge and I will still frequent it as many of you are like family.
I hope all of you have many years and hundreds of thousands of happy miles with your Rangers.
Skidplate.
Sponsored

WNCblueridge

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger supercab
Occupation
Goat herder
After 2 + years with 2020 my XLT sport 4x4 I somewhat reluctantly traded it off. I spent a fair amount of money attempting to overcome some of its shortcomings.
I used it mostly for "lite" overlanding. Never spent more than a few days in the bush due to work. It did remarkably well off road after putting Eiback coilovers on.
The Roof nest RTT was a joy especially after I upgraded from a RCI rack to the RSI smart cap.
The things that I couldn't get over were the extremely flimsy beer can sheet metal it was made with. The cartoonishly huge and ridiculously expensive rear LED taillights. It was a short production vehicle here and is never going to have much aftermarket support and what products are available seem to be way over priced. The 10R80 may have been a future problem waiting to happen.
I loved the power of that 2.3 and the way the truck looked. The armrests were in a uncomfortable location but I found the seats very comfortable and had plenty of leg room. Interior noise levels were very low and the AC worked well. The windshield was just to massive and in the summer there was so much heat that the AC had to tun at full tilt just to keep comfortable.
All said, it was an good truck. Just not for what I was needing it for. This forum was an awesome source of knowledge and I will still frequent it as many of you are like family.
I hope all of you have many years and hundreds of thousands of happy miles with your Rangers.
Skidplate.
I did as well last week. Loved the exterior looks and engine performance. Only real complaint and a deal breaker was the random vibrations and lack of dealer support. It seems like quality control was lacking in some areas. I was really hoping to keep the truck for its lifetime but had been dealing with neck/back pain and very long commutes were unbearable. The 2wd SCAB was fine for my every day needs as I only needed a bed and not 4×4. Still have the old Frontier for bed use and sold Ranger to Carvana with 19k miles on it. Purchased new Aaugust 2021. New ride is a 2022 Mazda3 and very impressed with the quality and attention to detail on interior finishes. Thought I would kinda regret getting rid of the Ranger but glad I did. Long daily work commutes average 37mpg and a blast to drive. Overall very impressed for a cheaper compact car. Test drove new Kia Forte & Honda Civic but the Mazda felt a step above

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Good luck with your new Jeep. I had one (2dr Rubicon) for a short time last year and the 2.0 seemed like a decent motor. The 8spd definitely doesn't hunt and lag like the 10 spd does. I'm really surprised to hear you thought the Ranger was uncomfortable. I know everyones different but I think it's one of the most comfortable trucks I've owned. Are you sure you didn't have a Tacoma? ? Hopefully yourJeep suite your needs better.

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
I would have to agree on the armrest being in an aweful position...

It needs to be able to slide forward - even my base model subi does...

I always feel like I'm leaning on the little tip and it's gonna break off.

How does the Rubicon ride compared to the eibachs on the ranger?

OP
OP

Smudgpot23

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Technical whiner
I would have to agree on the armrest being in an aweful position...

It needs to be able to slide forward - even my base model subi does...

I always feel like I'm leaning on the little tip and it's gonna break off.

How does the Rubicon ride compared to the eibachs on the ranger?
The Jeep ride is remarkable considering its solid axles. They have done an excellent job tuning the suspension. On road its not as good as the Ranger with Eibachs was but. Its close.

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
Hey, sorry to see you go, I won't bash on your choice, but I hope you are as happy in a year.

I am with you on some of your issues, that trans is really a turd, I'm good with the seats though, the door armrest was too short for me, had to add a pad.

The sheet metal is thin and the tail lights are big enough for a F250.

The Jeep crowd and the all other crowd are very different, don't become a Jeep snob:crackup:

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
My buddy has a Gladiator. I can’t believe how much wind noise there is. Not sure if they are all like that.

Noface

First Name
Jes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Occupation
Nerd
The windshield was just to massive and in the summer there was so much heat that the AC had to tun at full tilt just to keep comfortable.
While I experienced this as well, I was able to over come it with a nice dash cover. I got a carhart looking one. The light brown was a night and day diff on pulling/putting off heat.

TXRangerTim

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Tremor
Occupation
Retired
I did as well last week. Loved the exterior looks and engine performance. Only real complaint and a deal breaker was the random vibrations and lack of dealer support. It seems like quality control was lacking in some areas. I was really hoping to keep the truck for its lifetime but had been dealing with neck/back pain and very long commutes were unbearable. The 2wd SCAB was fine for my every day needs as I only needed a bed and not 4×4. Still have the old Frontier for bed use and sold Ranger to Carvana with 19k miles on it. Purchased new Aaugust 2021. New ride is a 2022 Mazda3 and very impressed with the quality and attention to detail on interior finishes. Thought I would kinda regret getting rid of the Ranger but glad I did. Long daily work commutes average 37mpg and a blast to drive. Overall very impressed for a cheaper compact car. Test drove new Kia Forte & Honda Civic but the Mazda felt a step above
Enjoy the zoom zoom.

OP
OP

Smudgpot23

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Technical whiner
While I experienced this as well, I was able to over come it with a nice dash cover. I got a carhart looking one. The light brown was a night and day diff on pulling/putting off heat.
I too found that a dashmat helped. Even so, the windshield came so far back toward the roof that the sun was always beating down on the dash and I could not mount my phone or gps or gopro anywhere on the dash without them getting over heated and shutting down.

OP
OP

Smudgpot23

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Technical whiner
My buddy has a Gladiator. I can’t believe how much wind noise there is. Not sure if they are all like that.
There is definitely a LOT of wind noise in the jeep. I have the hard top version and I am sure the soft tops are quite noisy as well. The premium stereo package makes up for it though.

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
I replaced it with a Jeep Rubicon with the 2.0 L turbo.
I've been shopping between a Bronco and a Wrangler Rubicon lately. The desire for a manual transmission is taking its toll on me, but have often wondered about the 2.0l with auto. Curious what mpg difference you see between the Ranger and the Jeep. Apples and oranges from a vehicle perspective I guess, but I'm curious what your experience is none the less.
Sponsored