This is the End. Beautiful Friend. The End. My only Friend, The End...

NavRanger21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XL STX-4x4
I don't know about other brand dealers, but can't trust my dealer with a simple WORKS package service (oil and tire rotation). They lost couple of valve stem caps and left oil draining down on my frame from the oil change from my recent visit. Ford Service just sucks now.
Sponsored

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
More than the truck, I've loved this group. Great people and amazing knowledge. In anticipation of purchasing a Taco I started hanging out on their forums and I have to say, I won't be frequenting them unless I need to.

Unfortunately the situation with the Misfire on CYL-1 and how Ford has handled that (Still looking at you Peoria Ford) has left me with no confidence in the truck or the company that should be backing it. There is a design flaw and they know it.

I refuse to buy a GM Product. Ford is off the table now. Not a fan of the Nissans. Honda who? That pretty much leaves Rivian that I can't afford, a Tesla Cyber Truck that they don't really make yet, and a Tacoma. Sooooo.....

Traded the truck in today on a 2023 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4x4. I wanted the Trail Edition, but this actually had a crazy amount of goodies on it that the Trail didn't and it was cheaper. More truck for less money. I'll take it. Yes - going to have to get used to the lack of speed but that's a small trade off for what I hope is a 300,000 mile truck.

I'm still curious to see what Dave does with his so I'll come back here from time to time, but yeah, no longer a 5G Driver.

Insert Dramatic Walk Off Music...
A great song, a great movie, and a great truck. Sorry that it did not work out for you, buddy!

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
I don't know about other brand dealers, but can't trust my dealer with a simple WORKS package service (oil and tire rotation). They lost couple of valve stem caps and left oil draining down on my frame from the oil change from my recent visit. Ford Service just sucks now.
Same here , let dealer do 1st one , oil all over my garage floor , never again...

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Good luck with your new ride. I too in the past have dumped vehicles while they were still new if I had issues. The not knowing of what's next, O & it's still new. Never felt bad about dumping one. For what a vehicle cost, now more than ever, you would expect more trouble free. Best of luck again & enjoy it & life. :like:

OP
OP
GTGallop

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Aside from the speed, how does it feel to sit in the seats? I had an old toyota, but never sat in the new tacos, but only read how uncomfortable they were.
Off the cuff comparisons...
Dimensionally the exterior feels bigger parking it where I normally park, but the interior feels smaller. Despite that, one of the reasons I Taco'd was because of the better layout of the space to store gear and crap inside the cab. When I moved out of the truck I filled a 27 gallon tote. Shit was busting at the seams in the Ranger (Col Travis), but fits nicely in the Taco (Jim Bowie). It's more accessible too.

The drivers seat is shallower and falls off my thigh sooner than the Ranger did - that might be an issue on long drives. Also the back rest feels a little flatter where the Ford bolsters hugged you in a little better. My Ford also had heated seats and the Taco doesn't. Not that I need them for warmth, but I was starting to use them for therapy on my aging back.

Suspension... Not sure if this is a fair comparison because the Ranger was an XLT 4x4 and this is TRD Off Road. The Yota handles rough pavement, speedbumps, parkinglot transitions like a goddamn Cadillac. No doubt this could probably be achieved if you put the same Bilstein Shocks on the Ranger.

The Taco has a quieter cabin - SO FAR. The 40,000 miles on the Ranger was starting to develop cabin rattles and creaks and squeaks. Sounded like two foam coolers next to each other squeaking and about 5 or 6 1/4 nuts rolling around inside. Maybe the Taco gets there in 40K? Maybe not?

Some of the Toyota Tech is clunky at best. They really need to up that game. Ford does a digital dash and infotainment (I feel dirty saying that word) system better than Toyota does in this truck. Have heard that since about 2019, the User Interface of the Toyota cars has been getting better but Toyota neglected the trucks for the big 2024 launch.

Mine came as some sort of super upgraded package. I'm still not sure what all I have on it but it has the Terrain Management, Crawl Mode, LED headlights. Electrical outlet in the bed, Bed lighting, Flip and fold Toneau cover, Bed rail cargo system, POWER SLIDING REAR WINDOW, Inductive Phone Charger, Rear Locker, and Good Year Off Road Tires. The Good Years aren't as good as the BFGATKO's I slapped on the Ranger but they came up-sized and good to go w/o having to pull off the stockers and replace the tires right away. We'll see how long they last.

IMG_3753.jpg

In the pic you can see the sloping driveway and why I had an issue with water. New Taco has an inclinomerter so I'll see what angle the driveway is at.

Got $29,500 for the Ranger and paid a few bucks less than $46,000 for the Taco. I did purchase the additional 10/100 Bumper to Bumper Platinum Warranty because I don't want to have any more hassles with issues if they happen on the Taco.

OP
OP
GTGallop

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
OH!
And the Taco has this one weird feature I'm trying to figure out. When I lower the tail gate, it just slowly and softly glides down to the open position. Kinda makes this quiet and peacefully meditative Shhhhh sound. So bizarre.
šŸ˜œ

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
OH!
And the Taco has this one weird feature I'm trying to figure out. When I lower the tail gate, it just slowly and softly glides down to the open position. Kinda makes this quiet and peacefully meditative Shhhhh sound. So bizarre.
šŸ˜œ
That was the only good thing about them. They come standard with a Damper! šŸ˜‚ That was my first truck that had one so you can all now blame the Taco for my obsession.šŸ¤—šŸ˜

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
I'd say it's a problem with your dealer, not Ford Motor Company in your case. My dealer, Hudson Ford, Hudson, WI, has the best service department of any dealer in an area of 29+/- Ford dealers, IMO. I've taken both our vehicles there for Quick Lane and repairs since 2014, and i've bought four new fords there including my Ranger.
The quality of the Service Dept varies from dealer to dealer; true for any brand.
The smart ones know that a new vehicle purchase is just a down payment on the more profitable future service work, and quality service keeps customers coming back, potentially for a vehicle sale, and Bob's your uncle.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
OH!
šŸ˜œ
That sound is your manhood fading away...

Last edited:

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
OH!
šŸ˜œ
Defective or bent pivot pin(s), misaligned or welded out of place tailgate pin socket, causing resistance to lowering. Can't trust these Mexico-built trucks. I'd go get my money back.

Seriously, Greg I hope this truck and dealer treats you better!

NavRanger21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XL STX-4x4
I'd say it's a problem with your dealer, not Ford Motor Company in your case. My dealer, Hudson Ford, Hudson, WI, has the best service department of any dealer in an area of 29+/- Ford dealers, IMO. I've taken both our vehicles there for Quick Lane and repairs since 2014, and i've bought four new fords there including my Ranger.
The quality of the Service Dept varies from dealer to dealer; true for any brand.
The smart ones know that a new vehicle purchase is just a down payment on the more profitable future service work, and quality service keeps customers coming back, potentially for a vehicle sale, and Bob's your uncle.
Not disagreeing with you, just disappointed how poor quality work some dealers provide.
OP, nice Taco all the best.
Sponsored

Last edited: