What was the end result of fuel in your oil issue?

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I just dropped my vehicle off at the Ford dealership after waiting a week for a loaner. I talked to the mechanic who did the one and only Ranger they had which had fuel in the oil.
He said they changed the manifold, I guess the intake manifold? And apparently they never fixed the problem because the vehicle wound up being bought back by Ford. Lemon law?
So what I'm looking for is just the end result of everyone that had this issue or knows someone who had this issue (who won't post their results here) and what their end result was.
Thanks to everyone who replies.
Sponsored

machinist85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
n/a
After my first 1,000 miles I had about a half quart of fuel in my oil. I did an oil change then at 4,000 miles I had about an eighth quart of fuel. I changed the oil again and haven't had any problems since. My problem was fuel going past the rings but once the engine was fully broken in it stopped. The only other way for fuel to get in the oil would be if the high pressure pump's seal failed and leaked inside the valve cover.

SilverSlugger

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Baking
Seems like Ford still has their head turned blind on the issue. I personally haven't seen any engine failure yet due to it... It does concern me in that my oil is also high on the dipstick, I'm due for an oil change and I will bring it up again to the dealer. The last time I had my oil changed I made them take note of the high oil, I will make them do the same. My reasoning being, at least if something happens I'll at least have a somewhat paper trail of it being high.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
My experience was similar to machinist's. I had the high oil level with strong fuel smell at 1,200 miles. I took it in to the dealership an they corrected the oil level. I don't know if they removed the excess or changed it. I did an oil change at 3,400 miles with ford blend oil/filter. At 8,400 I did a change an went to full synthetic an haven't had the raising oil since the first change. I figure it just needed to break in. I did an oil analysis at 18400 miles with just under 5K on the oil it an it was at 1.5% dilution.

IMO if you don't have at least 5K on the truck it's probably too early to know if you have a major problem or not.

Dsc

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT SuperCrew; 2007 Sport Trac XLT; 1969 Mustang Grande; 2014 HD Sportster 1200T
Occupation
Retired
I've followed the "Fuel in oil" thread and posted a couple of times on what I saw. In my experience the short drives cause the fuel dilution and it might stop or be reduced with greater engine break in. At this time I only have 5000 km on the vehicle and one oil change done at 4000 km in July. Currently I am back at the twist but if I go for a long drive and get the engine hot, the oil level will go down. Not back to the hash marks but about a 1/4 inch above. Continuous long drives, who knows because I don't do that.
I never took the truck back or had a oil analysis done. I have yet to see anybody have a confirmed oil related engine issue, so maybe it will show up but it might not be until the engines hit 160000 km (100k miles). Once a large sampling does then we will know.
All vehicles have some point where failure occurs and costs prohibit repairing. Nobody knows what that common failure is going to be in the future.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I drive primarily short trips and mine had the fuel in oil issue.

To give you an idea, I've never reset my average MPH since new and it's at 28mph.

Dealer replaced the HPFP at ~4200 miles and the issue seems to be resolved.

Currently at 13k miles and no more rise in oil level.

Last edited:

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
My saga.

I bought my truck in Dec. It was mostly trouble free. I started paying attention to the "fuel in oil" thread and surprisingly, all was still well.

Preemptively I called the NHTSA. I just knew this was a safety concern.

They dispatched agents immediately, who took my truck to the local Ford dealership and had them swap a Coyote into it.

No more safety concerns, and the NHTSA's approval means I get out of all the tickets my 'yote Ranger gets me. ;)

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
My saga.

I bought my truck in Dec. It was mostly trouble free. I started paying attention to the "fuel in oil" thread and surprisingly, all was still well.

They dispatched agents immediately, who took my truck to the local Ford dealership and had them swap a Coyote into it.

No more safety concerns, and the NHTSA's approval means I get out of all the tickets my 'yote Ranger gets me. ;)
you have been hanging out with ranger pride too much

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
My saga.

BRB.

Going to go and dump some fuel into my crankcase...

Edit: Well that was fast.

They told me they put a Coyote in it, but it wasn't quite what I was expecting...

Mail-Attachment-590x436.jpg

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
you have been hanging out with ranger pride too much
Just trying to bring some levity!

OP is freaking out a bit. I think this is now 3 threads on the subject.

I get it, kinda, we all love our trucks.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I have been watching mine since day one. Additionally I have yet to hear of anyone blowing up an engine because of it. If you want to make yourself feel better slap a catch can on and be done with it. I think no matter the make all direct inject turbos have some blow by to some degree. I set my rings at 4K after first oil change and have .5% of fuel in oil now. It started out at 1%.

Seems winter months and short trips is the major cause.

Another factor I have seen for myself is when I did an oil change myself I filled exactly to top of hash marks. Within a few days it rose to top hole. That’s where it stays all on its own now matter how I drive it. After a long trip it will be back to my original fill level.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
I have been watching mine since day one. Additionally I have yet to hear of anyone blowing up an engine because of it. If you want to make yourself feel better slap a catch can on and be done with it. I think no matter the make all direct inject turbos have some blow by to some degree. I set my rings at 4K after first oil change and have .5% of fuel in oil now. It started out at 1%.

Seems winter months and short trips is the major cause.

Another factor I have seen for myself is when I did an oil change myself I filled exactly to top of hash marks. Within a few days it rose to top hole. That’s where it stays all on its own now matter how I drive it. After a long trip it will be back to my original fill level.
Rick,
Great to hear that your % figure dropped. I was curious about my 1st report which also showed 0.5% fuel in oil and contacted Blackstone. They said that this is the baseline figure that they use in that column on all analysis reports which show 0.5% or less fuel in oil which is negligible. They only report any analysis figure that exceeds the 0.5%. The good news is the 0.5% reading could be as low as zero but not likely on a turbo system :frown: :)

Last edited:

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Interesting that in the 6 years I was active on the Ecoboost Mustang forum you would hear folks complain of fuel dilution but never heard of anyone having the oil level increase because of it.

FWIW, I changed my oil for the first time and it was at the full hole and there was no smell of fuel in the oil I drained out.
Sponsored

Last edited: