Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
The MSF's curriculum has not kept pace with motorcycle development.

I am speaking of braking at ANY speed.

And I specified COMPETENT road motorcycles. Harley-Davidsons are not competent road motorcycles.
OMG I hope MSF never teaches to not use the rear brake.
Sponsored

Sheepdog

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger SuperCrew 4x2 XL
Occupation
Retired police officer
I'm not sure what ideal type of traction streets you ride on but braking ability in the real world is absolutely traction limited.
When? Running over oil that you should have steered around? I have been able to reach maximum braking in the rain. I have been able to reach maximum braking in below-freezing temperatures. If you're locking the front wheel up on your R3 while braking upright on pavement, then there is something wrong with your suspension, your front tire, and/or your front tire pressure. What front tire do you have? What is your cold front tire pressure? What is your fork spring rate? How much do you weigh? What is your laden sag measurement in front?

Lifting the rear wheel only limits the amount of road contact surface, and will if not done correctly, tend to bring the back of the bike sideways losing control and setting up that high side crash. Stoppies are fun to show off with but not useful in real situations.
Nobody said anything about doing stoppies- as I stated, once you are braking hard enough to have 100% on the front and 0% on the rear, you can't brake any harder- if you try, the back tire will come up, raising your center of gravity, and REDUCING your maximum braking ability.

I will continue to use the full tractive braking ability of my motorcycle as required.
Now you sound like Nigel Tufnel.

If you're braking hard enough to have 100% on the front, then you have 0% on the back. If you have 0% on the back, there IS no braking traction available from that tire. And if you do have any weight on the rear tire, then you're not really braking very hard anyway.

Oh and no one mentioned locking up the rear wheel while braking, that decreases braking ability,
If there is no weight on the rear tire, and you try to use the rear brake, it's probably gonna lock.

and the front wheel adds a gyroscopic moment as well.
The front tire is mounted to the fork, which is hinged at the steering head- the front tire alone cannot keep the motorcycle upright.

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
The MSF's curriculum has not kept pace with motorcycle development.

I am speaking of braking at ANY speed.

And I specified COMPETENT road motorcycles. Harley-Davidsons are not competent road motorcycles.
There you go changing the rules to match your narrative. :thumbsup:

Reactions: Doc

Sheepdog

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger SuperCrew 4x2 XL
Occupation
Retired police officer
There you go changing the rules to match your narrative. :thumbsup:
What are you talking about?

The only rules involved here, are the physics of motorcycle riding...

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I recommend finding an oil that is GF-6 (usually listed on lower viscosity oils) and/or API SP (usually listed on higher viscosity oils) to protect against LSPI.

I use Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-40 that is API SP. I use the 5w-40 to help with fuel dilution as well.

53f3f71c-3b48-4343-8221-04ca6b02d1a3.pdf (shell-livedocs.com)

Your Quick Guide to the ILSAC GF-6 and API SP Motor Oil Standards. (kendallmotoroil.com)
Interesting you bring this up. I am reluctant to stray from Ford's recommend oil specifications yet the owner of UPR told me a 'heavier' oil specifically synthetic - would make my engine run smoother.

I'm a little confused ?

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military