First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 2014 Harley Tri Glide
Occupation
Retired
I don't know much about chu chus, but there are tracks to the right. In Grand Junction we get lots of coal trains.

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man
Hi Tony,

Go to Scotch is Glen Levitt 12. Did try a Costco Blend and was okay as they were out of Glen when we were up in Tucson. The 15 is much smoother but at $99 a bottle a bit expensive for my less than refined palate. Did try a heavilly peated BenRiach and found it interesting and enjoyable on occasion but not a daily go to... Try to keep a bottle of Ben on hand for special occasions. Covid has put a damper on my liquor cabinet... :(

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
When I was a young man I had the opportunity to meet a worldly woman who taught me many things, one of which was an appreciation for Scotch. At the time it was not a "trendy" drink but as the years went by and I refined my tastes I tended to lean toward the singles. They weren't as popular as now and a lot of Spey whiskeys were the only ones you could get. As weird as it sounds, I have grown to like a glass that smells like iodine and old band-aids. More peat = more better. My go-to is Ardbeg 10 year.

Arly

First Name
Arlyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT super cab (dog space)
Occupation
trails maintenance
I don't know much about chu chus, but there are tracks to the right. In Grand Junction we get lots of coal trains.
For the years I worked on them in a small town in SW South Dakota and we seen a full train every 20 minutes or so. Most was powder basin coal but not all the trains hauled that. Of course they had a double main line of ribbon rail there. Does everyone know what that is?? :crazy:

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
When I was a young man I had the opportunity to meet a worldly woman who taught me many things, one of which was an appreciation for Scotch. At the time it was not a "trendy" drink but as the years went by and I refined my tastes I tended to lean toward the singles. They weren't as popular as now and a lot of Spey whiskeys were the only ones you could get. As weird as it sounds, I have grown to like a glass that smells like iodine and old band-aids. More peat = more better. My go-to is Ardbeg 10 year.
My go-to is a single Dairy Queen butterscotch malt. I'm allergic to alcohol; when I drink it, I break out in handcuffs.

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man
My go-to is a single Dairy Queen butterscotch malt. I'm allergic to alcohol; when I drink it, I break out in handcuffs.
:) I had a friend that said she broke out in red and blue flashing lights so I completely understand.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
For the years I worked on them in a small town in SW South Dakota and we seen a full train every 20 minutes or so. Most was powder basin coal but not all the trains hauled that. Of course they had a double main line of ribbon rail there. Does everyone know what that is?? :crazy:
I'll try:
Two parallel rail lines with rail segments welded into ~ 500 yd sections

Arly

First Name
Arlyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT super cab (dog space)
Occupation
trails maintenance
I'll try: Two parallel rail lines with rail segments welded into ~ 500 yd sections
Well sorta... Its rolled out of the steel mills in 1/4 mile sections and welded together after its pulled off the special cars that carry it. Kind of funny to see the trains with cars carrying these rails zooming down the line with it. Also seen the steel gangs come through laying it. Below is copied from wikie

-----------------------------------------------

Continuous welded rail
220px-Geschweisster_schienenstoss.jpg

Most modern railways use continuous welded rail (CWR), sometimes referred to as ribbon rails. In this form of track, the rails are welded together by utilising flash butt welding to form one continuous rail that may be several kilometres long. Because there are few joints, this form of track is very strong, gives a smooth ride, and needs less maintenance; trains can travel on it at higher speeds and with less friction. Welded rails are more expensive to lay than jointed tracks, but have much lower maintenance costs. The first welded track was used in Germany in 1924.[25] and has become common on main lines since the 1950s.

The preferred process of flash butt welding involves an automated track-laying machine running a strong electric current through the touching ends of two unjoined rails. The ends become white hot due to electrical resistance and are then pressed together forming a strong weld. Thermite welding is used to repair or splice together existing CWR segments. This is a manual process requiring a reaction crucible and form to contain the molten iron.

North American practice is to weld 1⁄4 mile (400 m) long segments of rail at a rail facility and load it on a special train to carry it to the job site. This train is designed to carry many segments of rail which are placed so they can slide off their racks to the rear of the train and be attached to the ties (sleepers) in a continuous operation.[26]

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Secret agent, man

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
The skeeters were so bad back east you could not sit outside unless it was screened in. Even worse was cutting the grass on a hot and muggy summer afternoon and taking a breath and inhaling a noseeum. :puke: But that's the price I paid there for privacy as I built my house in the woods in the middle of 3 acres.

Here there are very few skeeters, we only see them if we get a rainy winter. It's nice to be able to sit outside and not get eaten alive. Of course there's the scorpions but in the 8 years I've been out here I've never seen or stepped on one yet.
I can‘t imagine a life without bugs...must be heaven!?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I can‘t imagine a life without bugs...must be heaven!?
It is so nice to be able to sit outside and not get bitten/eaten to death. You have to remember though with our summer heat not much can survive here. lol :sun:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
As the crowd waits for photos . . .
Hi RR,

Okay... 1910 Ice Box.

Icebox.jpg

A bit of a back story....

I was at an Auction on New Years day in Marshall Michigan. I had purchased about $3,000 worth of clocks. I was not paying much attention as this ice box was brought up onto the block. My buddy nudged me as I was talking to another clock guy and I raised my hand to find I just bought a dilapidated green painted Ice box....Yikes!!!....Cost me about $150. Doors were in shambles and parts of the door frames were just stuffed into the openings. OMG!!! Well, got this thing home along with all the clocks stuffed into his F150. It sat in my basement for about half a year and I decided to try to restore it....stripping off the paint only to find it was painted white under the green antiquing...Sheesh....finally down to the oak and maple top I started to figure out the door pieces. I had to carefully saw off the damage to the styles and rails and reduced each door by about 1/8". Then to address the corroded hardware, pains taking process I restored this to where it is today. Took half a year dabbling at it....Glad I did but learned a valuable lesson. At an auction...if not bidding....sit on your hands. :)

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Tony,

Go to Scotch is Glen Levitt 12.... Covid has put a damper on my liquor cabinet... :(

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Jeebuz, some people will put a damper on anything!
Sponsored