Terrain management upgrade?

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
FYI on possible part # change for the TC switch for those with locking rear diff. I used both of these part numbers from a previous poster when ordering - (@Michael Crowe post # 18, thanks!) Thankfully the website also has a picture to verify what the part looks like.

Here is what they sent me with my confirmation after I ordered.

Thank you for placing your FordParts.com order with Hastings Ford, Inc.. We want to let you know that one of the parts in your order has been replaced and updated with a newer product.

Part Number: SW8200

Superseded by:
Part Number: KB3Z9C888E

They shipped quick too. Ordered around noon and got it in the afternoon of the next day.
Sponsored

Last edited:

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
It has something to do with cruise control because it works at slow speeds.
I'd say we're very close. The Hill Decent Control has the same icon as the Trail Control, and it relies heavily on ABS, so I would expect it to be at least partially enabled by the ABS module. We might find that there's another code in the PCM or even ECU that we have to change in order for it to function fully, though I'd still guess this is the code since it enables hill decent in the F150's.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm a bit confused on the switch change. The switch in your post looks like this:
Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 7.29.14 AM.png

But the switch arrangement in my non-FX4 4x4 Lariat looks like this:
IMG_1024.jpg

Seems like there would be 6 total switches if I had ordered the FX4 version

The switch in your post doesn't look like it'll fit properly and it also looks like I'd have to remove two switches to install it - and that means losing something (possibly the Parking Aid switch).

It seems like there should be a 3 gang switch assembly that would replace the two functions in the top row along with adding a Trail Cruise button.

My post was simply to highlight the software change, not the switches. They have been positively identified earlier in the thread.

I "think" the code in that post will turn on the trail control, but nobody has tested it yet.

Upon further review of a Lariat FX4, the code is also 0007 and 72, so I think 0007 is for decent control, and 72 is for the cruise control part of it.

H2Ocooled

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 1967 SS Camaro
Occupation
Network Administrator
sweet, so assume you did the TC switch and TM switch/knob. Looking at the hill descent it sounds like the prelim version of TC. Look forward to hearing your results. I am only thinking I want the TM but if the TC works, why not.
Yes I replaced both switches, I hope to make the software changes in the next couple days.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Yes, Thanks for that post...it's informative. But the link to the switch is misleading (it prompted me to inquire about it). My suggestion is to change the link to the part Michael posted in #18 or just simply list the part number. Otherwise very informative. Thanks.

Oh, and yea, fingers and toes crossed that the code change will activate TC!!!

My post was simply to highlight the software change, not the switches. They have been positively identified earlier in the thread.

I "think" the code in that post will turn on the trail control, but nobody has tested it yet.

Upon further review of a Lariat FX4, the code is also 0007 and 72, so I think 0007 is for decent control, and 72 is for the cruise control part of it.

H2Ocooled

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Administrator

I just tried changing my code from the 0005 and 70 to 0007 and 72 and I could not get the Trail management to come on. I also tried enabling the Intelligent 4wd gauge and mode feature but it did not work either. Terrain management works great with the button though.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I wonder if the PCM needs updating for TC?
I just tried changing my code from the 0005 and 70 to 0007 and 72 and I could not get the Trail management to come on. I also tried enabling the Intelligent 4wd gauge and mode feature but it did not work either. Terrain management works great with the button though.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm attaching my asBuilt data so we can maybe get more traction on this.

I have a 302a FX4 XLT, someone with the 302a non-FX4 with a locker might be able to tell just enough from my ab file to figure out what else needs to change.

Attachments

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
Thanks @t4thfavor for posting your asbuilt data.

I should be able to mess about with this in the afternoon and over the weekend. I did a test run with Forscan to get used to it by setting the fogs to activate when corning and some other things.

@H2Ocooled did you also try the part listed earlier with -
...if your as-built is 0, use 2, if as-built is 1, use 3. if as-built is D, use F. If as-built is 5, use 7 ... ?

Was hoping the ...0005 and 70 to 0007 and 72 ... was going to do it.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I should be able to mess about with this in the afternoon and over the weekend. I did a test run with Forscan to get used to it by setting the fogs to activate when corning and some other things.

...if your as-built is 0, use 2, if as-built is 1, use 3. if as-built is D, use F. If as-built is 5, use 7 ... ?

I think the next place we will have to look is in the PCM. That's where the regular cruise control is located, so it's logical that they would use similar mechanism's for this feature.

These guys are working on an F150. Looks like they did some work with the Ranger Fx4.
(https://www.f150forum.com/f118/2019-f150-adding-raptor-trail-control-forscan-466639/index3/)

They said the only items that were changed were in the ABS module

760-01-03 (mine is 4C41-3038-3191 Non-FX4 XLT 4C41-3236-3797)
760-02-01 (mine is 0505-0A03-0283 Non FX4 XLT 0105-0A03-027F)
760-01-02 (mine is 3446-4832-4BA9 Non FX4 XLT 3446-4831-4BA8)

Start comparing my AsBuilt to yours in these codes.

Last edited:

H2Ocooled

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Network Administrator

I did not try other settings, I'm not super comfortable with Forscan yet I'm just getting used to using it.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We may have a "problem" getting the Trail Control enabled...

I found some .ab compare utilities and had been going through some of the modules.

I noticed that a non-fx4 truck has 163-xxx stuff in the PCM while the FX4 truck has 163-xx and a whole slew of 165-xx stuff (At least 20 more rows).

It's entirely possible that they flash different firmware to the PCM based on the FX4/not FX4 stuff. I don't know enough about it to know whether you can:
1. Just add the 165-xx stuff through Forscan, or
2. Flash the PCM with a FX4 variant, and make sure you retain your original values (like VIN, etc)

I know that Forscan Beta 2.4 has some talk about flashing firmware to modules, but it's not "stable" yet.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
We may have a "problem" getting the Trail Control enabled...

I found some .ab compare utilities and had been going through some of the modules.

I noticed that a non-fx4 truck has 163-xxx stuff in the PCM while the FX4 truck has 163-xx and a whole slew of 165-xx stuff (At least 20 more rows).

It's entirely possible that they flash different firmware to the PCM based on the FX4/not FX4 stuff. I don't know enough about it to know whether you can:
1. Just add the 165-xx stuff through Forscan, or
2. Flash the PCM with a FX4 variant, and make sure you retain your original values (like VIN, etc)

I know that Forscan Beta 2.4 has some talk about flashing firmware to modules, but it's not "stable" yet.
My fear is exactly along these lines regarding the PCM. I now wonder if there are different PCM Part Numbers. I'm not going to be brave enough to start mucking around with PCM code tho...Guess I need to be satisfied with just gaining the TM feature.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My fear is exactly along these lines regarding the PCM. I now wonder if there are different PCM Part Numbers. I'm not going to be brave enough to start mucking around with PCM code tho...Guess I need to be satisfied with just gaining the TM feature.

If I can get answers back from the Forscan folks, I'll gladly get a backup of my PCM code (if that's a thing) and one of my dad's to see if I can flash mine to his and change the vin back.

I couldn't find any part numbers for the PCM, just the ECU, and both Rangers have the same ECU part number.
Sponsored