Terrain management upgrade?

EKSU

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4 White Platinum
Rich, do you mean to say installing Terrain Management switch & for scan code gives you angle of descent? That's great.

I think people were interesting if the car feels like it preforms differently in Sand / Gravel / Snow or w/e when the modes are changed.
Sponsored

H2Ocooled

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 1967 SS Camaro
Occupation
Network Administrator
Rich, do you mean to say installing Terrain Management switch & for scan code gives you angle of descent? That's great.

I think people were interesting if the car feels like it preforms differently in Sand / Gravel / Snow or w/e when the modes are changed.
Yes, it shows the angle of descent, power distribution, etc... I have not had a chance to test performance on different conditions but I don't see any reason why it would not work.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Here is a (Mac OS Numbers) file comparing as-builts between two Lariats (Excel should be able to import this).

NOTES:
Values for the FX4 vehicle are blank if they EQUAL the values for the non-FX4 vehicle.
If the values differ, the values for each are shown.
NA means that the pids were not available for the FX4 vehicle
I've got an older version of Excel (2003 - it does all I need it to) and it won't import this file. Can you save it as a .csv or some other format?

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I've got an older version of Excel (2003 - it does all I need it to) and it won't import this file. Can you save it as a .csv or some other format?
Crappers, it's been so long since I converted all my Excel files to Numbers files I forgot I could actually Export to Excel.
So, here is the Excel file - and just in case, a CSV file too.

Attachments

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
FYI,
You can turn on the off road screen in Forescan without adding the TM switch (tilt angles work - even on road lol).

• Off Road Screen (IPC)
720-07-02. x3xx xxxx xxxx

RVA Overland

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
I am on the trail tonight and have engaged the TM function. Need to find a place to run tests though to verify. It appears to work. If anyone has a suggestion on how verify I can try. Also used the offroad screen to level my truck for the rtt I am camping in tonight.

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
I installed the Terrain Management switch and Forscan code and tested putting in in 4h and changing the settings for different conditions and it worked fine. I also tested the 4x4 off road screen that is in the gauges and it works fine, it shows the angle you are at and it does work. Is there what you were wanting?

Rich
I was talking about like testing the real world functionality of it - trying the different settings out on the trail and seeing if it's properly adjusting the throttle sensitivity and wheel slip/traction control settings like it's supposed to.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I am on the trail tonight and have engaged the TM function. Need to find a place to run tests though to verify. It appears to work. If anyone has a suggestion on how verify I can try. Also used the offroad screen to level my truck for the rtt I am camping in tonight.
Below is Fords sketchy description - depending on your terrain and conditions you could probably prove one, maybe 2 of these conditions. Prove one (other than normal) and you've probably proved them all.

• Normal Mode is for two-wheel-drive operation on easy-going terrain.
  • Grass/Gravel/Snow Mode improves stability for low-traction situations.
  • Mud/Ruts Mode sends maximum torque to all four wheels.
  • Sand Mode that allows for wheel slippage in situations where you’re on soft ground.
All modes other than Normal mode can be used in either 4HI or 4LO mode.

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I think you could try just driving one tire up on a rock or bank to lift a tire (diff lock off so you're essentially 'stuck') and then seeing how much slip you get before the traction control starts to take over and make the truck move. Also I think there's supposed to be a difference in throttle input sensitivity.

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
another question, has anyone looked at the wiring diagram to see figure out what the signal wire is for the TM button? would be convenient if we could just rig up a switch to send a signal to turn on the screen... might try and look into this. I've already enabled 'selectable drive' in forscan, so just need to figure out a way to get the screen to display

RVA Overland

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
another question, has anyone looked at the wiring diagram to see figure out what the signal wire is for the TM button? would be convenient if we could just rig up a switch to send a signal to turn on the screen... might try and look into this. I've already enabled 'selectable drive' in forscan, so just need to figure out a way to get the screen to display
For the minimal cost it is to install the knob and switch, why not just do that and keep the factory appearance? The install was probably one of the easiest things I have done to improve a vehicle.

RVA Overland

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
So my current update. Was able to find a spot on the trail to lighten the tires enough to get some slip and then try some different TM settings. The one I had the most success with was the gravel grass snow one. The tires began to slip and then it sounded like ABS was kicking in and I started to move. Need some more trials to validate but test one has made me a believer. Would love to hear what others find out. Since I had no other vehicles with me I couldn't get a solid mud or rock crawling test. Wife took a video of me testing that I will post in a little bit. Hard to tell but at the end you can see the slipping rear wheel stop spinning and I roll forward. I was hoping to hear the ABS kick in on the video but could not. Oh well.
TM Test Video

Last edited:

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
For the minimal cost it is to install the knob and switch, why not just do that and keep the factory appearance? The install was probably one of the easiest things I have done to improve a vehicle.
tbh I'm just impatient. planning to go out this week and was kinda hoping I might be able to play around the the TM stuff, and ordering the switch will take some time to arrive.

Also, video looks great. definitely seemed like an improvement switching to the grass/gravel/snow setting. thanks for testing!

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
@RoadBoss when I was looking to order the switches through Ford Parts . com and entered my zip code it showed me the nearest dealers that had them in stock. Then you have the option of ordering it by mail or local pickup. You may be lucky and find one not far from you.

I was not able to make the road trip an hour away to pick up my parts. Even with regular delivery they had over nighted it to my door the next afternoon. Not sure if it fits your time frame before you venture out to off road.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
To test the modes, go on your nearest gravel road. start accelerating at a moderate pace. While accelerating without changing pedal input, push the TM button into snow mode. You will feel a noticeable change in acceleration characteristics as the snow mode lowers torque and power to keep you from spinning wheels.
Sponsored