RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I have always wondered: what exactly those "two little reverse mud flap things" are really called and what they are supposed to do? I have left mine on so far....
I believe they are the "mini air dam" on FX4 models and are only for FX4 with the larger skid plate. The purpose is to help with aerodynamics (MPG).
Sponsored

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I believe they are the "mini air dam" on FX4 models and are only for FX4 with the larger skid plate. The purpose is to help with aerodynamics (MPG).
And if you look at how they funnel the air off the skid plate and out past the tires... they make a lot of sense.

So.... why are people removing them? If they weren't there, and somebody sold them aftermarket, they would be a "must have modification".

Folks mystify me.. on a regular basis.

006.JPG

Dagzz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4
Vehicle Showcase
The things I like:
-Off roading through narrow trails feels way better in a midsize truck, less worries about being wide and scraping sides on brushy trails, big rocks, and it feels even better when on a narrow mountainside.
-It's got plenty enough payload capacity for me, and I don't even tow(although, I know many members here do with their rangers and love it)
-It's new in the America's, get a lot of compliments and looks.
-It's just a disgustingly fun ride, I can't stop making up reasons to go and drive it. (disclaimer: the tune/mods make it such a visceral experience)
-More gas efficient

The things I don't like:
-I go out too often now
-It actually isn't gas efficient because I have too many smiles per gallon, aka heavy foot.
-Sometimes, it brings too much attention
-I spend too much money and time on mods for the car
-I am here on this forum too much because of my ranger

I guess, I don't really have a real con other than this car feels way better with a tune.
Ditto to literally everything "dondonbabyraptor" just said.. I couldn't have explained it better. ??

en13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT 2WD
Vehicle Showcase
I've had several compact / midsize trucks going all the way back to 80's/90's Mazda/Ford/Nissan. I've always liked the full size, but I really need what you'd call a "lifestyle" truck.. some towing here and there, but mostly someplace to easily carry bikes/kayaks/skis etc on a rack with a bed I don't worry about getting dirty. There are very few reasons for me to need a bigger truck so the midsize has been a good fit. I don't try to make the truck the kid hauler.. I leave that to our SUV.

I recently let my Ranger go to Carvana for their crazy money, but here are my thoughts -

Likes - probably like a lot of others..
Towing capacity. I never came close to hauling 7k, but 3k was easy.
Modern look for a midsize (I think it needs a refresh tho)
Interior is clean and simple, some useful storage
Seats are comfortable, rear comfortable enough for small humans
Visibility is great
Tailgate locks with doors
Engine and trans work very well together. It's fun to drive.
First vehicle I've owned that didn't get a cracked windshield... could just be luck, could be well designed air flow. lol.
* Fit in my garage. My wife and covenants appreciate this.
This forum. Even tho I"m currently Ranger-less, it's awesome here.

Dislikes -
Suspension on the 2wd is crap. Easily fixed for a little money but expected better.
Rear underseat storage is a joke (I get the gas tank is there)
Gas mileage is sad. I never did better than 17/18 and I didn't get it on much. Towing a simple cargo trailer usually put me at 11. This was a 2wd mixed city/hwy.
Awesome lightning blue paint scratches super easy. Don't look at it too hard.

As far as midsize pricing.. it is what it is. It's no different than the spread on SUV/Cars. Just because an SUV/Sedan is smaller does not always mean it's cheaper. I think the historical lack of options leads people to " a full size costs X" argument. If you need a full size, buy a full size but don't look at a midsize as a full size solution, you'll probably be disappointed. (unless your comparing to a 90's/00's full size)

I'm happy we have more options now with even more coming. I think the Gladiator/New Frontier/Santa Cruz/Maverick or possible Kia are all great for consumers. We've all had the full size is all you get nonsense shoved at us long enough.

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle
OP, I had a narcoleptic drift off episode while reading all 7 pages so my retention is at an all time low here.
Did you buy a truck?

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
And if you look at how they funnel the air off the skid plate and out past the tires... they make a lot of sense.

So.... why are people removing them? If they weren't there, and somebody sold them aftermarket, they would be a "must have modification".

006.JPG
Pretty sure most that remove them are also modifying their crash bars for larger tires. These “aprons” fit over the crash bars so they’re definitely in the way! Removal of them to reinstall also has its own issues. The small hex head screws they use for frame mount points heads break off during removal. Another fix is required to reattach. My guess is they land in the extra parts box instead of the installation hassle or potential tire rub.

the5Gmartian

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
U.S. Navy

006.JPG
Tire rubbing and also… they don’t seem to do much to help with mpg. If anything I feel like they help more with crosswind

WheelMon

First Name
Otto
Threads
Reaction score
Website
autio.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
@Autio Travel App by Kevin Costner
Hey folks I wanted to come here for some owner opinions on the new ranger. I am one of those guys who struggles to understand the midsize segment because of the pricing. To me its always been a no brainer to just go with the fullsize. That said I think the tacoma and especially the current ranger are attractive trucks and as a household we currently have a f150 and my truck a 5th gen ram 1500. I've had a couple weird issues with the ram all under warranty but thats left me with little confidence in long term ownership and since we already have one fullsize I am thinking of trading my ram.

On memorial day I went to look at a tacoma for the second time. I Absolutely hate that truck and have no idea why people like them so much. Its slow and the seating position is terrible and has worse mpg than both of our fullsize trucks. It just makes zero sense to buy. The same dealer had a slightly used 2020 fx4 ranger with the tow package and while I've driven the ranger twice before, driving it right after the tacoma really put the ranger into perspective. Its a much better truck.

I am definitely considering picking up the ranger but wanted to hear some of the things you like most about your ranger and some of the things you like the least about it. For me I am little concerned about the bed size and the overall space inside long term. We outdoors and I do some light trail riding during the hunting season. Looking for a dependable daily and utility truck.

** UPDATE**

Compairing my current ram to the ranger towing and payload really stuck out. Our f150 is way ahead of both of these trucks but we are keeping that one. These numbers are so close togther I might just go with the ranger now.

2019 ram 1500 4x4 etorque

Max Payload 1,830
Max Towing 8,230

2020 ranger

Payload - 1,560
Max towing 7,500

-

thanks in advance!
2019 FTX 4x4 Likes: Super fast compared to my last Ranger '03 v6.
Mileage is good. Styling is really cool! Color Saber Orange!!
Dislikes: none so far but have not been off road yet.

Kemo Sabe

First Name
Kemo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Hey folks I wanted to come here for some owner opinions on the new ranger. I am one of those guys who struggles to understand the midsize segment because of the pricing. To me its always been a no brainer to just go with the fullsize. That said I think the tacoma and especially the current ranger are attractive trucks and as a household we currently have a f150 and my truck a 5th gen ram 1500. I've had a couple weird issues with the ram all under warranty but thats left me with little confidence in long term ownership and since we already have one fullsize I am thinking of trading my ram.

On memorial day I went to look at a tacoma for the second time. I Absolutely hate that truck and have no idea why people like them so much. Its slow and the seating position is terrible and has worse mpg than both of our fullsize trucks. It just makes zero sense to buy. The same dealer had a slightly used 2020 fx4 ranger with the tow package and while I've driven the ranger twice before, driving it right after the tacoma really put the ranger into perspective. Its a much better truck.

I am definitely considering picking up the ranger but wanted to hear some of the things you like most about your ranger and some of the things you like the least about it. For me I am little concerned about the bed size and the overall space inside long term. We outdoors and I do some light trail riding during the hunting season. Looking for a dependable daily and utility truck.

** UPDATE**

Compairing my current ram to the ranger towing and payload really stuck out. Our f150 is way ahead of both of these trucks but we are keeping that one. These numbers are so close togther I might just go with the ranger now.

2019 ram 1500 4x4 etorque

Max Payload 1,830
Max Towing 8,230

2020 ranger

Payload - 1,560
Max towing 7,500

-I hate the small cargo bed.
i dislike the small gas tank, when I tow at 10 mpg
Changing oil-different
Heater/cooling controls invisible
Gas :eek:il dilution make me worry about the long haul dependability.

thanks in advance!

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Rob, thanks! That makes sense, and I will just leave them be as I am neutral on their looks and need all the aerodynamics I can get!
Sponsored