First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4, 2004 Corvette, 2005 Ranger Edge
Occupation
Retired Quality and EHS Manager
I have an FX4 and don't feel that the ride is a problem for me but I just tried Mike's bounce test anyway, front and back and got 2 bounces. (Disclaimer - I only weigh 160 lbs. so most people and maybe Mike outweigh me but I bounced it as hard as I could.) The ride difference could also be related to FX4 shocks and springs. Mine came with 18 inch Hankook Dynapro ATM tires which could make a ride difference.

I like the ride. Most people think the 2019 Ranger rides better loaded like many trucks. I haven't carried more than a few hundred pounds so didn't notice much difference there. Compared to my 05 Ranger Edge, the ride is much smoother on bumpy roads. My GF thinks it rides more like an SUV. My dealer gave me an F150 XL for a couple of days when they sent mine out for Line-X and I liked the Ranger ride much better. The F150 seemed to have a lot more sway and wallow in turns.

It sounds like you're getting a good deal but I would test drive an FX4 and compare to the XLT Sport but drive them both with proper tire pressure. You might get as good or better deal with an upgrade and be happier with the ride. No experimentation with suspension to get what you like.

I have no issues with the transmission shifts but it is much more noticeable under strong acceleration and the available power tends to encourage strong acceleration. Mine is at about 1700 miles now so the transmission may still be learning.

I haven't seen any used 2019 Rangers but new model year ordering is coming very soon and you may get a better deal on a low mileage or new 2019 from dealers with inventory in the next few months.
Sponsored

Mark Lally

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT supercab ,2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Occupation
Custom Home Builder
I just had to go try this on my truck, Mark. I just did the rear, pushing on the rear bumper - I got it moving as much as I could and then let got and it stopped in 1-2 bounces. Maybe I'm doing it differently than you, but something seems weird to me.
Rob, the way I do it is at a front or rear corner, at the front I push on the hood and the bumper, or the rear I push on the bed and bumper. I push hard four times and let go. I just did it again with the same results. If you or someone else could try it my way and report back, that would be rather cool. It is possible I have a bad shock or two.

Mark Lally

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Custom Home Builder
Doesn't seem quite the most scientific test... Especially between different people and different vehicles - the amount of oscillation that you can achieve before letting go is totally dependent on one's strength/leverage and the mass of the vehicle. These kinds of parking lot tests are only going to raise more questions than answer them.

Disclaimer: I'm not going to disagree that the ride is a bit wallowy in the front and little jittery in the rear. But a test like Mark's is doesn't prove anything.
Doug

It does not prove anything to anyone else, but I did it the same way while maintaining the same height, weight and strength. I did the test myself on about 8 different vehicles, 7 of the 8 results were very similar, only one osculated 5 or 6 times, and that was my Ranger.

Mark Lally

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Custom Home Builder
Thanks for doing the test. It may be that I have a or some bad shocks, I will investigate soon. I think I will go to the dealership this weekend and bounce me some Rangers.

Protomeister

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - black/ebony with BAP
Dealer is being fair on my trade and after running all the numbers, It has really got me thinking.

Still trying to decide if I will move forward with the trade or not.
Wheazy, sounds like you've received a lot of great advice. One additional thought based on my personal experience - I had a phenomenal experience selling my 2014 F150 to Carvana. You can put your VIN number in on their site, get your estimate, and they come pick it up. Their offer was $3K higher than any offer I received from 2 different dealers and Carmax.

(I also sold them a MINI Countryman and same thing - it was $2K higher than the best local offer.)

Hope that works out for you and puts a few more bucks in your pocket.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
The shifting gets a lot smoother at around 3,000 miles. Its annoying during the initial break in period, which I've experienced twice because they reset it with the TSB.

As far as the drive, its not a nice as an F-150 in my opinion, but likely much better than what you experienced on the over-inflated tires.

$6k below invoice seems pretty awesome to me.
My ranger drives much bette than my 2014 F150. Its not even close.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
6000 under invoice is a great price, almost too good to be true, I would want to see that in writing. Bumpy and jittery is in fact how they ride, it does not seem to bother a lot of people, but it sure does me. A good set of premium tires can fix the harshness of the jitters by quite a bit (it did for me), but it still has the jitters. I did a test on mine the other day; I hand bounced the truck with four shoves and let go, this truck oscillated between 5 and 6 times before coming to a stop (I did this both front and back with the same results). I did this same test on my 2013 Fusion and it oscillated 1.5 times. The next day I did this test on about 5 or 6 vehicles on my job site, between cars, trucks and vans. Some of these vehicles where only a few years old and some were quite old, not a single one oscillated more than 2.5 times. I personalty don't remember cars doing this since the 70s. I would think this has a great deal to do with the reports that many have published about how these trucks bounce and wallow. I see that several shock manufactures are developing shocks for the new ranger now, I'm waiting for some reviews to be published before I buy a set, but I certainly will be installing a set in the future with hopes that it fixes one of the few glaring faults of this otherwise great truck.
If you can indeed save 6K on this truck, you could buy some new tires and shocks and still have most of that in your pocket, I say go for it.
Im calling bs.

OP
OP

Wheazy

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 XLT
Wheazy, sounds like you've received a lot of great advice. One additional thought based on my personal experience - I had a phenomenal experience selling my 2014 F150 to Carvana. You can put your VIN number in on their site, get your estimate, and they come pick it up. Their offer was $3K higher than any offer I received from 2 different dealers and Carmax.

(I also sold them a MINI Countryman and same thing - it was $2K higher than the best local offer.)

Hope that works out for you and puts a few more bucks in your pocket.
Wow, that's huge. I certainly appreciate everyone's input.

Trying to balance it all out. I will definitely check carvana and the like, but I'll also have to balance the tax liability on a trade vs selling outright and then purchasing outright..... I think that difference alone is around $1500 to $1800.

Just got back from a second test drive and this one felt much better for some reason....

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase

When I was selling my 2005 Ranger I saw their ad on TV and I thought "what the heck"? I filled in all the info and they were willing to give me a whopping $3500 for my 2005 Ranger with 82k miles on it. I ended up selling it for $8900.

My experience was very different than yours.....

Protomeister

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - black/ebony with BAP
I ended up selling it for $8900.

My experience was very different than yours.....
Do you mean you sold it to a wholesaler for $8900 or retail (to another buyer)? Definitely you'll get more if you sell it yourself. I was just talking about trade-in values.

Also - I didn't mention it - but I noticed OP was from Atlanta. I'm from DC. Part of what made a big difference for me was a "market adjustment" that they added on top of the calculated value. I suspect they do something similar for Atlanta, which is why I made the recommendation. I'm not sure what drives that market adjustment, but that could've also affected things.

Not trying to defend Carvana, as with most things, YMMV. Just getting all the details out there...

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Do you mean you sold it to a wholesaler for $8900 or retail (to another buyer)? Definitely you'll get more if you sell it yourself. I was just talking about trade-in values.

Also - I didn't mention it - but I noticed OP was from Atlanta. I'm from DC. Part of what made a big difference for me was a "market adjustment" that they added on top of the calculated value. I suspect they do something similar for Atlanta, which is why I made the recommendation. I'm not sure what drives that market adjustment, but that could've also affected things.

Not trying to defend Carvana, as with most things, YMMV. Just getting all the details out there...
I sold it myself to a buyer (Retail) - but the KBB trade in value was about 6500, so it was still WAY below what I'd consider a "reasonable" offer.

Mobius97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat Fx4-Lotus Evora-Lotus Elise-BMW X7 M
I think that's a excellent price! I am a new owner (have also never owned a truck before) but 150 miles in I am really loving it and got my Lariat Fx4 for a steal as well. I really have nothing similar to compare the Ranger to from previous expereince. I have read/watched reviews that speak of the bumpy ride but it isn't awful in my opinion and hasn't bothered me at all. :) Very comfortable in my opinion.

I really like the smaller size compared to the F150 for urban use. Anyways, good luck with your purchase/sale.

OP
OP

Wheazy

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 XLT
Well, looks like I will be heading to pick up my new ranger today. I post a pic first chance I get.

I really appreciate everyone's input and look forward to many years of interaction here on 5G. Seems like a very knowledgeable and friendly group here.

Cheers!

OP
OP

Wheazy

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 XLT
sorry for the poor quality but it was a little late when I got back....

well, having issues uploading......I'll figure it out.
Sponsored