MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Hey folks I wanted to come here for some owner opinions on the new ranger. I am one of those guys who struggles to understand the midsize segment because of the pricing. To me its always been a no brainer to just go with the fullsize. That said I think the tacoma and especially the current ranger are attractive trucks and as a household we currently have a f150 and my truck a 5th gen ram 1500. I've had a couple weird issues with the ram all under warranty but thats left me with little confidence in long term ownership and since we already have one fullsize I am thinking of trading my ram.

On memorial day I went to look at a tacoma for the second time. I Absolutely hate that truck and have no idea why people like them so much. Its slow and the seating position is terrible and has worse mpg than both of our fullsize trucks. It just makes zero sense to buy. The same dealer had a slightly used 2020 fx4 ranger with the tow package and while I've driven the ranger twice before, driving it right after the tacoma really put the ranger into perspective. Its a much better truck.

I am definitely considering picking up the ranger but wanted to hear some of the things you like most about your ranger and some of the things you like the least about it. For me I am little concerned about the bed size and the overall space inside long term. We outdoors and I do some light trail riding during the hunting season. Looking for a dependable daily and utility truck.

** UPDATE**

Compairing my current ram to the ranger towing and payload really stuck out. Our f150 is way ahead of both of these trucks but we are keeping that one. These numbers are so close togther I might just go with the ranger now.

2019 ram 1500 4x4 etorque

Max Payload 1,830
Max Towing 8,230

2020 ranger

Payload - 1,560
Max towing 7,500

-

thanks in advance!
The only downsides to the Ranger that I can see are the stock suspension, easily modified, and the relatively limited storage space in the back seat on the super-crew, which is of course even worse on a super-cab. The 2.3 Liter 4-banger kicks ass, especially if you tune it, the cabin is quiet (at least on the Lariat, which in the 2019 version has a sound-deadener on the engine; these can be added aftermarket to later years' models), the B&O sound system rocks, the mileage is decent, and it is a breeze to drive, park, and fit in our (modest) garage. As for reliability, I have had no mechanical problems or issues of any kind in my first two (wonderful) years of ownership. So it all depends on what you want....
Sponsored

Last edited:

aeroshots

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Cabin space and all those hidden cubbies. Ram makes use of every nook and cranny. Material quality. Hemi towing ability and not cutting mpg in half while towing. Overall stoutness. I could go on, but don't want to talk myself into looking at Rams again.
Ford Ranger was almost an impulse buy for me. Height of covid hysteria..got lots for my trade...new vehicles weren't selling...fully loaded...great incentives...financed for more incentives...paid off in 3 months. I like the Ranger just fine ?. Oh yea, Ram needed new tires and I rarely keep a vehicle into a set of tires. One driver family with 4 street legal 4 wheel vehicles and 3, 2 wheel vehicles. Insurance company likes me. I say again, I like the Ranger more than expected.
What do you miss about the ram? I think im cool with losing the cabin space but the bed idk. I wish the dealer would let me drive it for a couple days before buying!

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Hemi towing ability and not cutting mpg in half while towing.
Bad hemi mpg all the time...... that's a positive? You must be a marketing guy. ;)

OP
OP

yyyames

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Bad hemi mpg all the time...... that's a positive? You must be a marketing guy. ;)
My etorque 5.7 is getting 19 city and around 23 highway. Its fantastic for how much power it's got. Its the first fullsize to beat on 3.5 f150 which is why i bought it. My 4th gen 5.7 was 15 city around 20 highway.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
No, color is not subjective. Lightning blue (or velocity blue) is the best choice. Rapid red is an acceptable alternative :giggle:
I don’t know about BEST choice ;) , but BEAUTIFUL for sure!:like:

OP
OP

yyyames

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Cabin space and all those hidden cubbies. Ram makes use of every nook and cranny.
Indeed, I traded my 4th gen for the etorque hemi because of the mpg and updated interior and its been great. A few other things not so much. AC has always had issues since we bought it and never had to deal with that on my 4th gen or a vehicle so new. I've had a lot of FCA vehicles with no problems so im really not going to knock them too much but over the last decade Ford products really grew on me.

aeroshots

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Figured I'd get some blowback. ? Nope, just an old retired guy answering a question. 17 something mpg with my Ram. 19.2 with the Ranger. Full disclosure though...I do have hemis in both my jeeps. 5.7 and a 6.4

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Figured I'd get some blowback. ? Nope, just an old retired guy answering a question. 17 something mpg with my Ram. 19.2 with the Ranger. Full disclosure though...I do have hemis in both my jeeps. 5.7 and a 6.4
I see a lot of posts where people are saying 19 mpg in their Rangers? â›˝

Our average in over 17,000 miles is 25+ mpg in our FX4....

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
I see a lot of posts where people are saying 19 mpg in their Rangers? â›˝

Our average in over 17,000 miles is 25+ mpg in our FX4....

Oh man, I wish, FX4 with Dynapro tires, SCAB, was getting about 17 mpg this winter.
Now, just over 18 mpg, mostly driving around our little town. I'm not impressed
with the milage. I can't wait to go on a 'long' trip to see what it does.
Sticker has 24/21/19.5 , I was really expecting closer to 21 as combined.
Can't wait for when we pull a 18', 3k lbs travel trailer. I'm at 6k km.

the5Gmartian

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
U.S. Navy
I have the Fox 2.0, air dam delete, 265/70/17, FPP tune, Mishimoto CAI and a Gibson dual exhaust and I average a hair under 20mpg (D.C. traffic sucks too). Highway I can get about 24-26mpg. I averaged better before the mods. Not sure how people are averaging 18 unless they’re always in the boost.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
MPG is going to vary wildly based on your driving style.

I average around 17 but then my driving habits are probably the absolute worst for MPG as I drive mainly short trips less than 15 minutes and almost Zero highway.

My 2018 Frontier Pro4X averaged a touch over 12 doing the same driving so I'm not too upset with what the Ranger gets.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I have the Fox 2.0, air dam delete, 265/70/17, FPP tune, Mishimoto CAI and a Gibson dual exhaust and I average a hair under 20mpg (D.C. traffic sucks too). Highway I can get about 24-26mpg. I averaged better before the mods. Not sure how people are averaging 18 unless they’re always in the boost.
The FX4 has no air dam to delete? :inspect:
What am I missing?

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
It has two little reverse mud flap things in front of the tires. I took them off.
3E0890D7-D7F1-4386-96AF-DDE36E248982.jpeg

FD47DAAF-FDA1-42DE-9F0D-7766FF862593.jpeg

You can see them in the last photo
I have always wondered: what exactly are those "two little reverse mud flap things" really called and what they are supposed to do? I have left mine on so far....
Sponsored

Last edited: