Talk some sense into me....although this may not be the best place for that

Wheazy

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 XLT
Hi everyone. Been lurking on here since the Gen 5 resurfaced and I've thought all along the next vehicle I purchase may very well be the Ranger. Browsing through my local dealers website this weekend, I cam across a Magnetic XLT 2wd with Sport Package for $6,000 below invoice. While I wasn't itching to make a change right now, this seems almost too good to pass up. Based on your purchase experience, does this seem like a good deal?

I went and test drove yesterday and looked over all the things I've seen here on the forums like gaps and paint defects and for the most part it looks like a solid truck. While test driving, I did notice vehicle felt a little "bumpy" or "jittery". Thought of the over inflated tires and they were sitting at 44 - 45, so that would probably explain that feeling. The other thing I noticed was the trans seemed to shift a lot and I felt every one of the shifts. Maybe it is the nature of the beast with the 10 speed, but I did see that the TSB which would not apply to this truck as it was manufactured in April. Also I currently drive a 16 F-150 2.7 EB with the six speed and overall, that is a very slick shifting unit so that could be some of it.

Dealer is being fair on my trade and after running all the numbers, It has really got me thinking.

Still trying to decide if I will move forward with the trade or not.
Sponsored

Marc F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4
The shifting gets a lot smoother at around 3,000 miles. Its annoying during the initial break in period, which I've experienced twice because they reset it with the TSB.

As far as the drive, its not a nice as an F-150 in my opinion, but likely much better than what you experienced on the over-inflated tires.

$6k below invoice seems pretty awesome to me.

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
Sounds like a good purchase to me!

The 10-speed is in fact very busy and inherently will be shifting often. However, you shouldn't be feeling every single shift. During slow acceleration, the transmission will skip a gear and since the ratio is pretty far apart, you can usually feel the shift (but it shouldn't be clunky). Once you're up to speed past 3rd gear, I don't ever feel a single gear shift. If you're worried, I would test drive again and give it some good throttle and low speed and high speed. Sometimes the transmission can take a few hundred miles to adapt to a driving style.

IMO, I don't think the transmission should have you worried. It's been proven in the F150 and Mustangs. Good luck with your purchase!

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
the transmission doesn't adapt to driving styles, but it does need to learn and adapt to the internals of the transmission that vary due to manufacturing tolerances and wear over time. that takes a hundred or two hundred miles, so most test drives are much rougher than expected.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Hi everyone. Been lurking on here since the Gen 5 resurfaced and I've thought all along the next vehicle I purchase may very well be the Ranger. Browsing through my local dealers website this weekend, I cam across a Magnetic XLT 2wd with Sport Package for $6,000 below invoice. While I wasn't itching to make a change right now, this seems almost too good to pass up. Based on your purchase experience, does this seem like a good deal?

I went and test drove yesterday and looked over all the things I've seen here on the forums like gaps and paint defects and for the most part it looks like a solid truck. While test driving, I did notice vehicle felt a little "bumpy" or "jittery". Thought of the over inflated tires and they were sitting at 44 - 45, so that would probably explain that feeling. The other thing I noticed was the trans seemed to shift a lot and I felt every one of the shifts. Maybe it is the nature of the beast with the 10 speed, but I did see that the TSB which would not apply to this truck as it was manufactured in April. Also I currently drive a 16 F-150 2.7 EB with the six speed and overall, that is a very slick shifting unit so that could be some of it.

Dealer is being fair on my trade and after running all the numbers, It has really got me thinking.

Sounds like a good deal to me. I would agree the bumpy feeling is probably due to the tires. The trans issue is somewhat odd - my shifts are really smooth and I don't feel it shifts a lot - typically I somewhat feel lower gear shifts (especially when it skips gears), but many of the shifts I can't even feel, Overall I would say my transmission shifts VERY smoothly and doesn't hunt for gears or shift a lot. (but a lot is a relative term - it does have 10 gears to choose from). There is an "adjustment" or "learning" period for the transmission - I've heard several people say it calmed down after a while, so maybe that is all it is. If there is something larger, it would be covered under warranty.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase

You never mentioned why you are replacing the F150.

What's your pain point with the F150 that will be fixed with a Ranger? Better MPG, smaller size or new tech features?

Mark Lally

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT supercab ,2013 Ford Fusion Hybrid
Occupation
Custom Home Builder
6000 under invoice is a great price, almost too good to be true, I would want to see that in writing. Bumpy and jittery is in fact how they ride, it does not seem to bother a lot of people, but it sure does me. A good set of premium tires can fix the harshness of the jitters by quite a bit (it did for me), but it still has the jitters. I did a test on mine the other day; I hand bounced the truck with four shoves and let go, this truck oscillated between 5 and 6 times before coming to a stop (I did this both front and back with the same results). I did this same test on my 2013 Fusion and it oscillated 1.5 times. The next day I did this test on about 5 or 6 vehicles on my job site, between cars, trucks and vans. Some of these vehicles where only a few years old and some were quite old, not a single one oscillated more than 2.5 times. I personalty don't remember cars doing this since the 70s. I would think this has a great deal to do with the reports that many have published about how these trucks bounce and wallow. I see that several shock manufactures are developing shocks for the new ranger now, I'm waiting for some reviews to be published before I buy a set, but I certainly will be installing a set in the future with hopes that it fixes one of the few glaring faults of this otherwise great truck.
If you can indeed save 6K on this truck, you could buy some new tires and shocks and still have most of that in your pocket, I say go for it.

Last edited:

Mellow

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Sport Lariat 2WD Plat. White
Just around 1700 miles on mine and I've only felt shifting when I get on it good and even then I think I hear it more than I feel it... I'd test drive some other trucks to see if you feel the same thing. The tires on mine were at 50 but even at 35 you get some bouncy feeling... I think some aftermarket rear shocks may help..

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
6000 under invoice is a great price, almost too good to be true, I would wan't to see that in writing. Bumpy and jittery is in fact how they ride, it does not seem to bother a lot of people, but it sure does me. I good set of premium tires can fix the harshness of the jitters by quite a bit (it did for me), but it still has the jitters. I did a test on mine the other day; I hand bounced the truck with four shoves and let go, this truck oscillated between 5 and 6 times before coming to a stop (I did this both front and back with the same results). I did this same test on my 2013 Fusion and it oscillated 1.5 times. The next day I did this test on about 5 or 6 vehicles on my job site, between cars, trucks and vans. Some of these vehicles where only a few years old and some were quite old, not a single one oscillated more than 2.5 times. I personalty don't remember cars doing this since the 70s. I would think this has a great deal to do with the reports that many have published about how these trucks bounce and wallow. I see that several shock manufactures are developing shocks for the new ranger now, I'm waiting for some reviews to be published before I buy a set, but I certainly will be installing a set in the future with hopes that it fixes one of the few glaring faults of this otherwise great truck.
If you can indeed save 6K on this truck, you could buy some new tires and shocks and still have most of that in your pocket, I say go for it.
I just had to go try this on my truck, Mark. I just did the rear, pushing on the rear bumper - I got it moving as much as I could and then let got and it stopped in 1-2 bounces. Maybe I'm doing it differently than you, but something seems weird to me.

OP
OP

Wheazy

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 XLT
You never mentioned why you are replacing the F150.

What's your pain point with the F150 that will be fixed with a Ranger? Better MPG, smaller size or new tech features?
Good Point, The only reason I wound up with the F-150 was I coudn't stomach any of the alternatives in the small truck category (tacoma, frontier, colorado).

However, living with it day to day, the sheer size and urban manners has had me looking around.
I'm 46 years old and have never owned a car for personal use. Always had trucks and up until the F-150, they have always been the smaller trucks......not adapting to Land Yachting as easily as I thought I would.

doug910

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger, '02 BMW 540i
Occupation
Engineer
I just had to go try this on my truck, Mark. I just did the rear, pushing on the rear bumper - I got it moving as much as I could and then let got and it stopped in 1-2 bounces. Maybe I'm doing it differently than you, but something seems weird to me.
Doesn't seem quite the most scientific test... Especially between different people and different vehicles - the amount of oscillation that you can achieve before letting go is totally dependent on one's strength/leverage and the mass of the vehicle. These kinds of parking lot tests are only going to raise more questions than answer them.

Disclaimer: I'm not going to disagree that the ride is a bit wallowy in the front and little jittery in the rear. But a test like Mark's is doesn't prove anything.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Good Point, The only reason I wound up with the F-150 was I coudn't stomach any of the alternatives in the small truck category (tacoma, frontier, colorado).

However, living with it day to day, the sheer size and urban manners has had me looking around.
I'm 46 years old and have never owned a car for personal use. Always had trucks and up until the F-150, they have always been the smaller trucks......not adapting to Land Yachting as easily as I thought I would.
Well that's a very valid reason to downsize, you also get better MPG and more tech, without sacrificing too much payload or towing capacity.

2WD Ranger SuperCrew has 7,500 lbs towing capacity and 1,770 payload capacity, compared to 8,000 lbs towing capacity and 2,000 lbs payload capacity with a F-150 6-speed 2.7L EcoBoost.

Chuckitall

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport
I have the same Magnetic 2wd and got the same discount. The truck been great to drive and got 26 mpg on a 500 mile trip last weekend