Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Can't you just look and see if the tailgate is closed flush with the rear body lines? BTW I have a tonneau cover and have not had this issue,. just give it a good slam, you won't break it.
Sponsored

SN13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
This is the type of switch I was thinking. It wouldn’t be hard at all to wire something like that in to an indicator light somewhere!

E436F86B-C148-47E0-9AFD-B8B350010953.jpeg
Except there are no places to mount that style of switch. As the tailgate has no stop, or soffit, It's all Rabbet.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
Except there are no places to mount that style of switch. As the tailgate has no stop, or soffit, It's all Rabbet.
A simple 90 degree bracket attached to one of the threaded holes near the tailgate would probably work just fine.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I've never had a problem with any of the trucks I've owned. Make sure to adjust the clamps of the back rails for your cover higher if it's rubbing to much on the tailgate. Give it a good slam shut and you're GTG. Also if your tailgates down your rear sensors will go off,at least mine do every time I use my bed extender and put it in reverse.

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
So this is a problem specific to guys with tonneau covers. Over the years of truck ownership and indeed even with my new Ranger, I've experienced a phenomenon of the tailgate not securely latching under the the closed cover. It appears closed and will pass a light tug test but hit a bump going down the road and tailgate will flop open (sometimes you can hear or feel it slam open, sometimes not). I load up my bed alot with all sorts of things including hunting gear. My problem is that short of stopping at the end of the dirt road to double check the tailgate is latched, I've not come up with a more bullet proof solution to this issue. Does anyone have any technical or other practical solution to this issue? I'm kind of shocked ford has not implemented a pressure sensor in the tailgate at this point but I get not everyone covers their bed and it would not be practical in every scenario. Appreciate people's thoughts on this!
You could install a push type switch that the tailgate holds closed unless it opens(or closes upon coming down) and wire a small light inside the cab. Even one of those tiny LED lights with a little hole in the dash would work or tape it on if you don't wanna drill a hole. This would be a fair bit of wiring and such but it would be quite a relief to have in your situation. If you aren't skilled at these things any decent mechanic or custom shop should be able to do it.

Indy650

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
I've never had a problem with any of the trucks I've owned. Make sure to adjust the clamps of the back rails for your cover higher if it's rubbing to much on the tailgate. Give it a good slam shut and you're GTG. Also if your tailgates down your rear sensors will go off,at least mine do every time I use my bed extender and put it in reverse.
ahh yes nothing like shifting into reverse and having piercing loud beeping erupt out of nowhere.... I love the camera but that gets me everytime. At least there's a button you can quick hit to shut it off or to prevent it from going off if you can remember which I seldom do.

Pat Herbert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 corvette and a 2019 Ranger
They make a light that attaches to your tailgate that you can see in your rearview mirror a friend has it on his tundra works well.

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
In about a year or so you will be used to tailgate operation. And then you will be a real truck person. :crackup:

OP
OP

Srgraham1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL STX
Vehicle Showcase
In about a year or so you will be used to tailgate operation. And then you will be a real truck person. :crackup:
Brutal... mentioned earlier I think that this is my 5th truck! LOL regretting my post in some cases but I swear it has been a thing over many variables of truck. Was surprised to find so many people never having this issue! Still a bona fide truck guy in my book as I have not complained once for lack of a soft open tailgate! All in jest I can take it. I also suspect people have the issue on occasion as I have and fear punching their man card to post it!

OP
OP

Srgraham1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL STX
Vehicle Showcase
They make a light that attaches to your tailgate that you can see in your rearview mirror a friend has it on his tundra works well.
Curious what he has. Would be willing to give it a look! Thanks!

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Not singling any body but if shoe fits. Lol if you are not posting because your hiding behind a skirt then :crackup:

beetlespin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Supercrew FX4
You really read some wierd $hit here :headbang:

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Isn't that the truth.
Hi Steve,

It comes with the territory...I have 30 plus experiences at Ford Motor Co as an engineer and Executive. I am challenged by forum members almost daily..know it all's. I was a mechanic working my way through college. I am a racecar driver. I know vehicles, but so many folks know more than me. It makes me wonder if it is not time for me to just forget this forum and let the know it all's drive the forum.

Sincerely,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored