First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Hey Steve, it might not be a truck vs. you thing but a tonneau thing. Just put a roll up tonneau on mine and in order to keep the seal tight with the tailgate I have to close the tailgate first then the tonneau. Not sure if that will work for the solid ones though.
Hey Jeff, The seal should be on the inside of the tailgate so you need to close the tailgate after you secure the tonneau cover. You can adjust the rear bed rail clamps up or down to get a tighter seal. Not sure which cover you have but they're all relatively the same as far as the install goes. The install video below shows how to make the adjustments.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Srgraham1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL STX
Vehicle Showcase
Hey Steve, it might not be a truck vs. you thing but a tonneau thing. Just put a roll up tonneau on mine and in order to keep the seal tight with the tailgate I have to close the tailgate first then the tonneau. Not sure if that will work for the solid ones though.
Thanks Jeff, it's like Dave says below... I've mostly only ever used roll up soft covers. Currently using truxedo over the rail setup.

OP
OP

Srgraham1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL STX
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Steve,

It comes with the territory...I have 30 plus experiences at Ford Motor Co as an engineer and Executive. I am challenged by forum members almost daily..know it all's. I was a mechanic working my way through college. I am a racecar driver. I know vehicles, but so many folks know more than me. It makes me wonder if it is not time for me to just forget this forum and let the know it all's drive the forum.

Sincerely,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I get it Phil, thanks! As a father and a Manager I am certainly used to and not bothered by it! A few rough posts here and there will not deter me or drive me away from the many invaluable insights I've gleaned from so many fantastic people, you included, that post to this forum! This forum is probably among the most helpful/civil of the several that I frequent. Keep posting Phil, cant go without your anecdotes! Thanks!

Rangerado

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F-350
Occupation
Harvester of Pain
Vehicle Showcase
Hello Srgraham1,

I once experienced the tailgate dropping like you mentioned. I think I now understand why, and I've been able to avoid the problem. There seems to be a secondary 'almost latched' position, where the tailgate will stay shut but move in place. Without close inspection, it appears to be completely latched. When the tailgate is all the way shut the body lines are continuous, and the tailgate has no wiggle room.

I installed an aftermarket Tonneau Cover that attaches to the inside edge of the bedsides, and overlaps the top of the tailgate. If I make the rails flush with the top of the bedside all the way back to the tailgate, then the overlapping part of the tonneau cover prevents the tailgate from closing.

I elevated the overlapping portion of the Tonneau cover just enough to allow the inner edge of the tailgate to pass beneath without getting hung up.

I am not aware of how your tonneau cover is constructed, can you post a photo? or did you and I just missed it?

If there is any interference from the tonneau with the tailgates closure, the 'almost latched' position is a more likely result from any attempt to close the tailgate.

so uh yeah buck up gramps ;)

OP
OP

Srgraham1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL STX
Vehicle Showcase
Hello Srgraham1,

I once experienced the tailgate dropping like you mentioned. I think I now understand why, and I've been able to avoid the problem. There seems to be a secondary 'almost latched' position, where the tailgate will stay shut but move in place. Without close inspection, it appears to be completely latched. When the tailgate is all the way shut the body lines are continuous, and the tailgate has no wiggle room.

I installed an aftermarket Tonneau Cover that attaches to the inside edge of the bedsides, and overlaps the top of the tailgate. If I make the rails flush with the top of the bedside all the way back to the tailgate, then the overlapping part of the tonneau cover prevents the tailgate from closing.

I elevated the overlapping portion of the Tonneau cover just enough to allow the inner edge of the tailgate to pass beneath without getting hung up.

I am not aware of how your tonneau cover is constructed, can you post a photo? or did you and I just missed it?

If there is any interference from the tonneau with the tailgates closure, the 'almost latched' position is a more likely result from any attempt to close the tailgate.

so uh yeah buck up gramps ;)
Will post a photo when the sun decides to wake up! You nailed it with your description though! This is the issue! Thanks!

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
Hi Steve,

It comes with the territory...I have 30 plus experiences at Ford Motor Co as an engineer and Executive. I am challenged by forum members almost daily..know it all's. I was a mechanic working my way through college. I am a racecar driver. I know vehicles, but so many folks know more than me. It makes me wonder if it is not time for me to just forget this forum and let the know it all's drive the forum.

Sincerely,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I find many of your posts quite interesting and I hope they continue! Not everyone can know everything but it doesn’t take long to tell who speaks from experience vs. the opposite.

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
Hi Steve,

Sincerely,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I appreciate your knowledge and input.
Sponsored