Srgraham1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL STX
Vehicle Showcase
So this is a problem specific to guys with tonneau covers. Over the years of truck ownership and indeed even with my new Ranger, I've experienced a phenomenon of the tailgate not securely latching under the the closed cover. It appears closed and will pass a light tug test but hit a bump going down the road and tailgate will flop open (sometimes you can hear or feel it slam open, sometimes not). I load up my bed alot with all sorts of things including hunting gear. My problem is that short of stopping at the end of the dirt road to double check the tailgate is latched, I've not come up with a more bullet proof solution to this issue. Does anyone have any technical or other practical solution to this issue? I'm kind of shocked ford has not implemented a pressure sensor in the tailgate at this point but I get not everyone covers their bed and it would not be practical in every scenario. Appreciate people's thoughts on this!
Sponsored

DavidR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab Saber FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I don't have a tonneau cover yet, but the tailgate catches mounted to the bed walls on either side of the tailgate are adjustable by loosening the bolts and moving the catch around. Maybe adjusting them might get it to latch better. Just a guess though..

OP
OP

Srgraham1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL STX
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have a tonneau cover yet, but the tailgate catches mounted to the bed walls on either side of the tailgate are adjustable by loosening the bolts and moving the catch around. Maybe adjusting them might get it to latch better. Just a guess though..
Definitely worth a look... mostly I'd like a way to know visually somehow that the gate is closed. It is not a frequent problem but that probably makes it worse because you get a false sense of security... thanks for the reply

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely worth a look... mostly I'd like a way to know visually somehow that the gate is closed. It is not a frequent problem but that probably makes it worse because you get a false sense of security... thanks for the reply
When you get to a stop sign, just shift into reverse for a second and check the backup camera---you'll know if it's up or not. Or you could attach something small to the top of the tailgate that you can see when looking in your rear-view mirror.

Roofhopper

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
HVAC Service Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I’m in the work van currently so can’t check the Ranger, but I’m fairly certain there is a tailgate ajar indicator on the dash

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I’m in the work van currently so can’t check the Ranger, but I’m fairly certain there is a tailgate ajar indicator on the dash
Not that I've ever seen driving with the gate down

bking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I have a Gator EFX cover and haven't had an issue closing the tailgate. It doesn't seem to have impeded the tailgate in any way.

OP
OP

Srgraham1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL STX
Vehicle Showcase
I wish that were true but it's not of my xl trim level at least

OP
OP

Srgraham1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL STX
Vehicle Showcase
When you get to a stop sign, just shift into reverse for a second and check the backup camera---you'll know if it's up or not. Or you could attach something small to the top of the tailgate that you can see when looking in your rear-view mirror.
I am thinking of adding something to the top lip of the tailgate I can spy from the mirror and checking through the cam is valid... just so long as I remember. Thanks.

OP
OP

Srgraham1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL STX
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Gator EFX cover and haven't had an issue closing the tailgate. It doesn't seem to have impeded the tailgate in any way.
I'd say in general the covers I've run over the years(several big brands) do not interfere with the gate closing except the weather strip can hang the gate just enough to give you a false positive on rare occasions... however I am in and out so much that the occasional bad latch causes me some anxiety.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
This is my fifth truck with a tonneau and I’ve never had that problem. I can see where a tailgate open indicator would be nice to have though, I know I’ve driven away before and had forgotten to close the tailgate.

Maybe mount a normally closed door jamb switch somewhere inside the tailgate and wire it though an indicator light in the cab so when the gate is open the light turns on?

OP
OP

Srgraham1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL STX
Vehicle Showcase
This is my fifth truck with a tonneau and I’ve never had that problem. I can see where a tailgate open indicator would be nice to have though, I know I’ve driven away before and had forgotten to close the tailgate.

Maybe mount a normally closed door jamb switch somewhere inside the tailgate and wire it though an indicator light in the cab so when the gate is open the light turns on?
Possibly something with me... my father has had the same issue too with his f150s maybe its genetic. Anyways, not sure how ambitious I will get trying to wire something custom... probably why there isn't a manufacture solution if this is just unique to me! Guess I should hit the weights!

bking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Possibly something with me... my father has had the same issue too with his f150s maybe its genetic. Anyways, not sure how ambitious I will get trying to wire something custom... probably why there isn't a manufacture solution if this is just unique to me! Guess I should hit the weights!
Plus there are times when you want to leave the tailgate down to haul something longer and the last thing you want is the light on in the truck while that happens. You could maybe wire it to one of the door sensors

LightingBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fx4 off-road Larit Supercab (2019)
We installed the Retrax Pro XR aluminum series tonneau cover and have absolutely zero problems with the tailgate not being able to fully shut and lock. Nor do we have any problems with water leakage. Fitting the cover on properly was the first step in ensuring full functionality.

Attached photo of the cover properly installed and using the yakima bars and forkcops in the channels created with the tonneau system

RoadTripRanger.jpg

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
This is the type of switch I was thinking. It wouldn’t be hard at all to wire something like that in to an indicator light somewhere!

E436F86B-C148-47E0-9AFD-B8B350010953.jpeg
Sponsored