Sync slow on startup, same for everybody?

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
My sync is slow, it will not show the XM channel after startup, sometimes you can change the channel and it will change but the screen shows nothing, it's blank only where the channel image/song is, other times you can't change the channel, or you change the channel and it may or may not take several seconds to change but the screen still shows the last channel or it's blank, it eventually catches up as I'm driving off.

The dealer did a update the first time, second time they changed the AIPM module, still the same, so I have to assume it's normal, or is it? my wife's Honda is instant, my older F150 was fine too.

I figured I would ask here before I gave up and accepted it as normal, thanks for any input.
Sponsored

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Yeah, slower than normal lately. Like windows product. Same with android auto. Galaxy s9. But if i just wait an extra 10, 15 seconds, it all loads up and acts normal.
Sync has always been glitchy. Apps sometimes load sometimes don't.

OP
OP
Fitzmotor

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I'm starting to figure it's normal, I was surprised when the dealer tried to fix it, they usually just say "unable to verify the problem"

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
So far, like a week, so not a very big sample size, my Sync seems fine, nothing like you describe. All the features seem there and pretty instantaneous, including XM/Sirius, etc.

It does seem like you may have a problem.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
That does sound odd. Mine takes about 2 minutes to fully boot up from key start but afterwards all functions are active and responsive.

Are you on the current firmware? Have you updated anything other than what dealer did? I have done 2 updates using a USB stick with the downloaded updates. My unit is older than yours though. Just a thought

OP
OP
Fitzmotor

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
They just updated it before they replaced the module, 2 minutes for boot up?, so maybe it's normal.

Thanks!

deleriumtremor

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Retired
My interest was piqued, so I went out and put a stopwatch on it.

It took 12 seconds from engine start for everything to be operational, XM streaming and being able to select any function and have it be there ready to go.

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
Some days mine is faster than others, but I too have had days recently where Sync was slow to start up and it takes longer for it to connect to my phone. Today it was seconds to boot up. I've checked for updates and there are none available.

OP
OP
Fitzmotor

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
My interest was piqued, so I went out and put a stopwatch on it.

It took 12 seconds from engine start for everything to be operational, XM streaming and being able to select any function and have it be there ready to go.
Hey, interesting, I will have to time it, thanks!

OP
OP
Fitzmotor

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So it was 17 sec for the screen to come up, 25 sec before I could change the station and over 35 sec before the screen showed what channel I had changed to (it still showed the previous station but was playing the station I had changed to at 25 sec)

Wow, I'm complaining about 35 seconds, gotta love it when you post something and you look at it later and think how stupid it sounds, Ugh.

But every other vehicle I have owned with XM has had instant startup.

I will say it can take a bit longer than I just timed, but not much, I'll just hope this thread quietly goes away as I feel like a whiner?

Wait, the dancing Banana may chime in with the "remove the tailgate damper should fix it" Ha!

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
Ours has always booted slow. I let the engine run a minute or two while it grinds away waiting for the display to initialize.

Lately it's often up and ready in only a few seconds.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
So it was 17 sec for the screen to come up, 25 sec before I could change the station and over 35 sec before the screen showed what channel I had changed to (it still showed the previous station but was playing the station I had changed to at 25 sec)

Wow, I'm complaining about 35 seconds, gotta love it when you post something and you look at it later and think how stupid it sounds, Ugh.

But every other vehicle I have owned with XM has had instant startup.

I will say it can take a bit longer than I just timed, but not much, I'll just hope this thread quietly goes away as I feel like a whiner?

Wait, the dancing Banana may chime in with the "remove the tailgate damper should fix it" Ha!
Actually if you add one (or two) it'll double your speed. :shock:?

Murphie

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X2, 2023 Hyundai Santa Fe
Occupation
Financial Auditor - Retired
It's been hit or miss for me for a long time. I've always updated when there's one available, and check both Ford website and let Sync verify as well. Guess I'm always hoping there will be something newer out there. My issues have been that it's slow to connect my phone via Bluetooth, and lately it's been questionable whether or not it connects via Apple Car Play.

Unrelated, I haven't had GPS via Sync for a couple of weeks. It shows that I'm in Detroit when I'm in Central Texas. I have an appointment with my dealer in a couple of weeks to get it checked out. The service advisor THINKS they might have to replace the AIPM (?).

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
Mine is dim witted as well, but by the time it idles down from cold and I back up it is ready to go. Then it does other random weird stuff it never does twice so I can't get anything from the dealership on it. Maybe after an upgrade it will cut the weird out... Maybe?... :-/ I am happy it is ok once it is going. So there is that.

MathGod

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Platinum Lariat
Occupation
Educator
Mine is for sure slower than when I bought the truck.

Kind of disappointing since my friend has a taco and said it has crappy electronics and Nav. One of the reasons I bought the Ranger was the Newer bells and whistles.
Sponsored