Swollen M12x1.5 Wheel Nut (ACPZ-1012-H) Replacement Write-Up

Trash Panda

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Closing in on 60,000 miles on my 2019 Ranger Lariat with 18 inch wheels and finally ran into the legendary swollen wheel nut while attempting to verify torque from my dealer oil change/tire rotation this morning.

Supplies / Parts Needed :

New M12x1.5 Wheel Nut (ACPZ-1012-H)($7.30) was my part number for the 18 inch chrome wheels
19mm or 3/4 Socket
Breaker Bar or Impact
Torque Wrench (set at 100 lb.ft (135 Nm))

1.) Use the 3/4 socket to remove the wheel nut since it is slightly larger than a 19mm socket. As shown in my video above I could actually turn part of the two piece wheel nut with my hand so I knew it was a goner.
2.) Hand thread your new wheel nut (ACPZ-1012-H) until hand tight and snug with an impact or wrench (I used my Milwaukee Compact 3/8 Impact on setting 2 for a few seconds and did not hit 100 lb.ft)
3.) Use a Torque Wrench to torque the new wheel nut to 100 lb.ft (135 Nm)
4.) Wait for the next wheel nut to swell down the road. :LOL:

I pulled out my Amazon calipers because I was interested and the new wheel nut measured 0.740 inches while the old wheel nut measured 0.770 inches. Quite the difference there considering my Milwaukee 3/4 impact socket inlet diameter measures roughly 0.760 inches max.

IMG_2298.jpeg

I know this is a common issue so until I pull the trigger on one piece wheel nuts my check is going to be always use a 19mm socket since it is a thousandth or two smaller than a 3/4 and the second a wheel nut is tight on the 19mm replace it. I caught this one in time before it was impossible to remove luckily.
Sponsored

Last edited:

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
Great write up and thanks for the pics and measurements. My Ranger's a '22 with less than 6K miles but I had read about this nut issue not long ago. I had never even heard of two-piece nuts before! o_O

I suppose for 60K miles, your swelling wasn't that bad and it looks like you were able to remove them without too much trouble. But that's nuts on the the size difference (d'oh on that pun!). =)

Since I have very little self-control when it comes to buying things for my Ranger, as soon as I read about this nut issue, I ordered some one-piece nuts. LOL, I suppose I should thank you for feeding into my paranoia about potential issues! =)

double as side steps! not my pic although I can get lazy about cutting my fingernails =D
1714857598233-5h.png

OP
OP
Trash Panda

Trash Panda

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Great write up and thanks for the pics and measurements. My Ranger's a '22 with less than 6K miles but I had read about this nut issue not long ago. I had never even heard of two-piece nuts before! o_O

I suppose for 60K miles, your swelling wasn't that bad and it looks like you were able to remove them without too much trouble. But that's nuts on the the size difference (d'oh on that pun!). =)

Since I have very little self-control when it comes to buying things for my Ranger, as soon as I read about this nut issue, I ordered some one-piece nuts. LOL, I suppose I should thank you for feeding into my paranoia about potential issues! =)

double as side steps! not my pic although I can get lazy about cutting my fingernails =D
1714857598233-5h.png
I’ll eventually order one piece as well. Morbid curiosity has my attention to see if there’s a certain mileage where mine all measure out.
I replaced just that one for now since the rest take a 19mm socket with no problem.

I’m curious how the tech got that socket back on earlier…cause I know good and well his socket didn’t fit either. 🤣

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
This has been a known issue with Ford lug nuts since they began using the two piece design. The absolute worst thing you can do is use a impact driver on them. It reforms the thin shell and loosens it up so moisture can get in them easier. Corrosion and freeze/thaw cycles then expand them. The second worse thing is using a 12 point socket. This gives extra room in the socket for the shell to expand and the reduced contact area doesn't help either.

One of the first things I did to my Ranger was to find some one piece nuts that matched the factory ones. I also wanted black ones, as the factory chrome stood out too much on my magnetic rims.

LB'sTremor

First Name
Loren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Iconic Lariat Tremor
Occupation
IT
Just got these form Lugnutguys $32 the Taper looks correct but the flat above the taper is a bit larger. They seem to seat ok so we will see how the chrome holds up. They are 19MM like OEM.

LB

Edit I just checked both nuts in the wheels and the wheel seats on the taper not both the taper and shoulder of the buldge so the height difference will not be an issue. ( I stuck a grab hook feeler down in the hole and could feel the flat above the taper on the original nut on a mounted wheel).

24 Lug Nuts 12x1.5 Chrome Replacement Lugs fits 6 Lug Ford Ranger OE Wheels | eBay

20240429_233036464_iOS.jpg

Last edited:

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX

1714857598233-5h.png
It's not paranoia, I too had the stupid two piece wheel nut issue - no we're not immune to it even over here, I had one where I had to drive a socket on to it to remove, I then had to put the nut in a vice to drive off the socket.
I too bought some aftermarket one piece ones and now drive in peace knowing if I should get a flat I will be able to change a tyre by the side of the road.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Thanks. My mind is having a hard time digesting this. But I do remember one time driving home from the dealer after service in my 2012 Focus I had a weird vibration. Almost all lug nuts were loose. Could they have been swollen? I had to replace all of them soon after.
Also, are all stock Ranger lugs two-piece? It's two piece that I have a hard time wrapping my brain around, for a lug nut.

OP
OP
Trash Panda

Trash Panda

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Thanks. My mind is having a hard time digesting this. But I do remember one time driving home from the dealer after service in my 2012 Focus I had a weird vibration. Almost all lug nuts were loose. Could they have been swollen? I had to replace all of them soon after.
Also, are all stock Ranger lugs two-piece? It's two piece that I have a hard time wrapping my brain around, for a lug nut.
Not my photo but we do have the two piece lug nuts.

IMG_2540.jpeg

They look nice, but it’s Ford cutting some manufacturing cost corners. The outter layer is what swells over time and makes it where not even a SAE 3/4” socket will fit. In my video you can see me able to almost rotate that outter layer freely.

It’s very possible that was the cause on your Focus. I think it’s been an issue since the 2010s or before.

Last edited:

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Not my photo but we do have the two piece lug nuts.

IMG_2540.jpeg

They look nice, but it’s Ford cutting some manufacturing cost corners. The outter layer is what swells over time and makes it where not even a SAE 3/4” socket will fit. In my video you can see me able to almost rotate that outter layer freely.

It’s very possible that was the cause on your Focus. I think it’s been an issue since the 2010s or before.
Well that's just stupid. That really seems like a hazardous cost-cutting measure. Now I have to look into one-piece that better matches the wheels.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
The winters here wreck havoc on those two piece lug nuts. I had a rough time getting them off my fusion after 3 or 4 winters. Had to use an impact an some had the exterior chrome shell separate before they would come off.
Sponsored