Suspension list (from softest to firmest)

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Has anyone listed the various suspensions available for our vehicles based on how stiff/soft they are? I'm trying to pick one that gives a leveled stance, good road manners, but can also do the forest road/rock crawling safely.

From reading here and doing my own research, this is what I've come up with, but trying to see if someone with experience with one or more can weigh in (also aware there is some subjectivity in this):

SOFTEST
FX4 factory
Regular 4x4 factory
Bilstein
Fox 2.0
Ford Fox 2.0
Eibach Pro Truck
Old Man Emu
Fox 2.5 (adjustable!)
Icon
King
STIFFEST
Sponsored

Last edited:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Seeing that you are in Colorado I can tell you that you DO NOT want a leveling kit if going Offroad. You would be best with a loft kit. Depending on where you are at i can have you ride in my truck as I have the Old Man EMU lift and if you get to see it in person it may give you a better idea on what to get.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Has anyone listed the various suspensions available for our vehicles based on how stiff/soft they are? I'm trying to pick one that gives a leveled stance, good road manners, but can also do the forest road/rock crawling safely.

From reading here and doing my own research, this is what I've come up with, but trying to see if someone with experience with one or more can weigh in (also aware there is some subjectivity in this):

SOFTEST
FX4 factory
Regular 4x4 factory
Eibach Pro Truck
Fox 2.0
Bilstein
Old Man Emu
Fox 2.5 (adjustable!)
Icon
King
STIFFEST
From what I read on this forum, I would move the Eibachs further down the stiffness, at least past the Bilsteins.

This topic was discuessed somewhere, with our Stage3 contact estimating the firmness of many of these. You can probably search for it.

OP
OP
CO2Ranger

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From what I read on this forum, I would move the Eibachs further down the stiffness, at least past the Bilsteins.
Can do. Stage 3 mentions it's more compliant on road than the Fox 2.0. That's why I put it in that order. It could be that the Bilsteins are actually softer than both of those. That one was just a guess.

OP
OP
CO2Ranger

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seeing that you are in Colorado I can tell you that you DO NOT want a leveling kit if going Offroad. You would be best with a loft kit. Depending on where you are at i can have you ride in my truck as I have the Old Man EMU lift and if you get to see it in person it may give you a better idea on what to get.
I was looking at the BDS lift, but I'm not really excited about all the cutting that's involved. I've read your posts on OME and I know they have a decent following among the Jeep crowd. Looks to be a pretty straightforward install too. I might have to take you up on that offer. I'm in the burbs southeast of Denver so definitely not down the street from you.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I was looking at the BDS lift, but I'm not really excited about all the cutting that's involved. I've read your posts on OME and I know they have a decent following among the Jeep crowd. Looks to be a pretty straightforward install too. I might have to take you up on that offer. I'm in the burbs southeast of Denver so definitely not down the street from you.
Only about 1.5 hours away at best. I'm down in the springs, i just havent changed my location

pull string get cookies

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 White Platinum
Vehicle Showcase

SOFTEST
FX4 factory
Regular 4x4 factory
Eibach Pro Truck
Fox 2.0
Bilstein
Old Man Emu
Fox 2.5 (adjustable!)
Icon
King
STIFFEST
Are you referring to the Fox 2.0 or the “Tuned by Ford” Fox 2.0? Please correct me if I am wrong, as I believe that I’ve seen that the two systems have different spring rates.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Are you referring to the Fox 2.0 or the “Tuned by Ford” Fox 2.0? Please correct me if I am wrong, as I believe that I’ve seen that the two systems have different spring rates.
Who can say but regardless I'm sure they both have a nice ride

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
Ford Fox 2.0 has more coils.
Fox.png

OP
OP
CO2Ranger

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's a good point. Wouldn't know which was firmer personally but maybe someone can weigh in. Happy to edit the list and add it in.

OP
OP
CO2Ranger

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Would that make it stiffer in theory then?
It would depend on the spring rates on the shock. Most companies go vehicle weight, unsprung weight and travel in order to calculate the "quote on quote" best spring rate

pull string get cookies

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 White Platinum
Vehicle Showcase

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I put Eibach shocks on the back an thought it rode better than the stock front...I put Bilstein's on the front for comparison an now I think the front is smoother an more comfortable on the road. Don't know if I will ever swap out the back to have them match. I don't off road so it's about ride quality an handling an it's way better than the factory now so I'm happy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CO2Ranger

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I put Eibach shocks on the back an thought it rode better than the stock front...I but Bilstein's on the front for comparison an now I think the front is smoother an more comfortable on the road. Don't know if I will ever swap out the back to have them match. I don't off road so it's about ride quality an handling an it's way better than the factory now so I'm happy.
Appreciate the feedback and comparison!
Sponsored