Strange sounds coming from the engine, is this the normal sound of the ecoboost at idlie?

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
This sound is fairly common with GDI engines. It's a combination of the cam driven high pressure fuel pump (HPFP) and injectors actuating at idle. The injector solenoids are going to be a tad noisy given they have to handle upwards of 2,000 psi of fuel in some instances.. My 08 GTI made this exact same sound and made you think it was a diesel when idling. Some will be much louder, while others such as my wife's Hyundai Santa Fe 2.0T are virtually silent. My Ranger is fairly quiet and you can only hear it with the hood up.
Sponsored

cb4017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired USN and retired LEO
I made a video of this exact noise and was going to post it today, you beat me to it!

I'm happy to hear it's normal.
Old thread but I was getting ready to do the same thing. I had the hood open tonight to adjust the headlights after a lift. It was a true "what the heck is that racket" moment. Very glad to hear it is normal for this engine.

I may have to look into that Lariat engine cover.

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ford ranger stx 4x4 race red
Occupation
bricklayer
Hi all,

About 30 miles into my new Ford Ranger I started hearing this strange sound coming from the engine. I'm pretty sure that I did not hear it when I test drove it and, if I did, it honestly wasn't pronounced enough for me to notice. Is this the normal sound of the ecoboost engine? Some have said a "buzzing sound," mine sounds like a VERY loud sewing machine. It gets louder when I accelerate / hit the gas on neutral.

can you hear it in drive?

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
My last "truck" was a diesel. So, you think that your "truck" is noisey? Trucks are supposed to be noisey with big loud horns. :crackup: ?

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Technically it's known as SMS: "Sewing Machine Syndrome"

Hellrazor

First Name
Clement
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger
Occupation
Baller
That sounds like shit. I have a 2021 lariat no sounds like that at all.
Sponsored