chirp sound coming from the engine

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I noticed a chirp sound coming from my ranger. I took a video of the part that is making the noise and I have two questions.
Is this chirp sound normal - means all new rangers have this?
What exactly is making the noise? I see the lever moving back and forth when I hear the sound, but I'm not sure what that is. Here is a picture, and the link to the video.

chrip.JPG

View attachment 10216
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
Last edited:

unixadm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F150
That appears to be the electronic wastegate control actuator and rod which attaches to the turbocharger. I know this is a common rattle point on the vehicles with the non-electronic wastegate controller.

OP
OP
PonyXpress

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I updated the picture to show exactly which part I'm talking about. Every time that moves, I hear a chirp.

Again, wanting to know if everyone with the new Ranger also has this noise, or does it need to go to the dealer?

unixadm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford F150
Yeah. That what I was referring to. It's part of the turbocharger assembly. I don't have a Ranger, so I can't compare.

OP
OP
PonyXpress

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
If you start your truck and then put your head in the passenger side front wheel well, you can watch the electronic wastegate control actuator moving back and forth. See if you can hear anything as it moves back and forth. If you watched my video, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. It does not make this noise all the time. I only hear hit when I'm outside of my truck and close to it. From inside, I do not hear anything.

Can you please confirm that yours does not make this noise when moving? If yours isn't doing the same thing as mine, then I'll have to take it back to the dealer - again...

Marshal.

First Name
Marshal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger, 1979 Mazda rx7
Mine does this, as I’ve noticed it occasionally

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
I stuck my head up under the wheel well. It makes a noise when it moves. It's not loud on my truck but you can hear it with your head under there for sure. Never heard from inside the truck.

OP
OP
PonyXpress

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
thanks for checking! At least it seems normal that this makes a noise when it moves. I guess mine is just a little louder than most.

I'll have the dealer look at it the next time I take it in for something else.

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
thanks for checking! At least it seems normal that this makes a noise when it moves. I guess mine is just a little louder than most.

I'll have the dealer look at it the next time I take it in for something else.
Here was a video I took as well where you can hear and compare.

OP
OP
PonyXpress

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
cool - thank you! that sounds about the same as mine, but yours is not quite as loud as mine.

Thanks again!

Jonathan

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Mine actually developed this chirp over the past couple days. ~1200 miles on vehicle. It goes in tomorrow for a replacement part in the turbo (missing o-ring, not able to order just the o-ring apparently), so I will have them check this too. If it was consistent I'd not be curious, but since it has become louder/more apparent over the month I'll at least get it noted on the service history.

Did you ever hear anything from your dealer on it @PonyXpress ?

OP
OP
PonyXpress

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I'm taking mine to the dealer on Tuesday so they can try to align the passenger front door. While there, I will show them the electronic waste-gate control actuator and let them hear it. I'll report back after.

LewisLegacy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Mine actually developed this chirp over the past couple days. ~1200 miles on vehicle. It goes in tomorrow for a replacement part in the turbo (missing o-ring, not able to order just the o-ring apparently), so I will have them check this too. If it was consistent I'd not be curious, but since it has become louder/more apparent over the month I'll at least get it noted on the service history.

Did you ever hear anything from your dealer on it @PonyXpress ?
How did you find out that you had a missing o-ring?
Sponsored