First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
This lubricant I just started using. Long story on how I came to be with it but family is involved with the company.

@AzScorpion will like this one. It’s graphene lubricant. This stuff is amazing. It was originally formulated/invented for fracking. I have tried it on so many different things and all have been stellar results. Hinges, linkages, bearings you name it. Won’t break down under high pressure or heat.

So I tried it on my chipmunk about 2 months ago. Just a couple of carefully placed drops and it’s been on vacation ever since.

It is sold online now.

A918DC27-B564-457E-8153-FBDC8DC466CC.jpeg
Sponsored

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
I have this noise!! I always just thought it was the HPFP.

Is there any concern with just leaving it as is? It doesn't really bother me.

Why does the WG actuate like that anyways? Is it some sort of test the PCM is doing?

Silverfox

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 xlt sport 4x4
Occupation
Tech
I have this noise!! I always just thought it was the HPFP.

Is there any concern with just leaving it as is? It doesn't really bother me.

Why does the WG actuate like that anyways? Is it some sort of test the PCM is doing?
Yes, it’s an electronic wastegate so probably does a full motion test on startup. Luckily mine stopped making noise after I had undercoating done.

DRVMN

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Off Road
Occupation
High School Mathematics Instructor
This forum is AWESOME! I noticed that same "squeak" upon cold start-up and thought maybe it was coming from the radiator fan. The noise in the OP's original post sounds exactly the same on my 2021 Ford Ranger XLT. Now I know what it is!

Thank You!

Kalradia

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
I know this is an old thread, but I bought a 2021 Ranger Lariat and the turbo wastegate arm is very squeaky. I took it up to the dealership and showed them. They submitted a ticket with Ford and Ford advised them to replace the entire turbo (this truck only has 500 miles on it). Apparently there is metal scraping against metal and the Ford techs thought it best to just go ahead and replace it because it can actually wear down the turbo and cause issues down the road. So definitely take it in if you encounter this problem.

Ninda

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
79 Bronco TS, 2008 Ranger XLT, 2020 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Traveling Tourist
I have a 2020 ranger and I noticed this same noise But not during start up. going to listen for that now. I hear that squeak noise right before it shifts. You can feel it build up to shift and durning the shift you hear the noise. I was on a quite road in the mountains and just slowly driving and stopping when I heard it. It does it on 1st-2nd, 2nd-3rd, 3rd-4th. after that the engine noise is too much. not sure if the waste gate on turbo works with the shifts.

Mitch65

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Finance
Mine does it!

Ninda

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Traveling Tourist
Just got home today and started the truck and yes it is the waste gate. Have a few other issues so going to talk to the dealer tomorrow about this.

skyguy

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I have this chirp as well. I removed the Turbo heat shield to get at both ends of the linkage. I then removed the linkage and operated the wastegate control arm by hand. The squeak is produced when I move the control arm without the linkage in the mix, so I think it is something internal to the turbo and not just a mater of lubing the ends of the linkage (which didn't solve the problem for me).

If that is the case, then shouldn't lubrication be supplied by the engine oil? Could that explain why it only seems to happen when the engine is cold? Out of curiosity, if you are experiencing the chirp, what engine oil are you using? I'm using Amsoil Signature Series 5W-30. It's not my intent here to start an argument about the best or worst motor oil (I wouldn't know enough to give a strong opinion on that anyway), just to look for any hidden correlations that might help folks get a handle on what is happening. Does anyone know definitivly if the wastegate hinge is supplied with lubrication from the engine oil?

Ninda

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Traveling Tourist
Mine is going into the dealer on the 24th. Truck does it hot or cold. When hot you can hear it during the shifts. I use Valvoline 5-30 full synthetic oil.

skyguy

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Hi... FYI... I brought a XLT ranger 04/23... 2 sounds were coming from right wheel engine bay... one is a squeak... first heard when you open drivers door, the other was the chirp when touching the gas...Took to dealership 2 days later. Chirp noise was the turbo waste gate.... resolution was to replace turbo assembly. Noise has gone on acceleration... however waste gate control arm is squeaky still... have tried recommended lubes with no luck.
-Cheers
Just to clarify, Are you saying the Chirping noise of the turbo waste gate is still occurring after the turbo assembly was replaced? Thanks.

Aaron77

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX4
I found this thread while sitting at home waiting for the dealership to figure out this noise...(why didn't I Google it before? :facepalm:) They basically said the same thing and there's nothing they can do.

I did jokingly ask if I could get a discount on a Borla exhaust system to "fix" the sound and the service tech said he could do that.

So maybe that's my solution :idea:

wickkid

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT Tremor Edition
Occupation
Engineer
My 2021 XLT does this, it is even notable when doing 40ish and accelerating (not hard) it squeals like a banshee. Took it to the dealer a week ago, they definitely duplicated it and submitted a ticket to Ford. They said it's fine to drive and I haven't heard anything back yet...

skyguy

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
My 2021 XLT does this, it is even notable when doing 40ish and accelerating (not hard) it squeals like a banshee. Took it to the dealer a week ago, they definitely duplicated it and submitted a ticket to Ford. They said it's fine to drive and I haven't heard anything back yet...
If you are hearing a squeal at around 40 mph or so, that may be a different issue than what is being discussed in this thread. The reason I suspect this is that my ranger does both. It has the chrip noise when the turbo waste gate is cycled when the engine is first started, and it squeals at speeds of around 40- 70 mph. The waste gate chirp was confirmed by my dealer mechanic. He checked the new Rangers on the lot and they all had the chirp as well, so he noted the problem in case it became worse in the future and to insure that it was recorded during the warranty period incase parts end up needing to be replaced. The squeal while at speed on my vehicle is coming from the center support bearing on the drive shaft. They ordered a replacement driveshaft for me that is on indefinite back-order at the moment.

wickkid

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT Tremor Edition
Occupation
Engineer
If you are hearing a squeal at around 40 mph or so, that may be a different issue than what is being discussed in this thread. The reason I suspect this is that my ranger does both. It has the chrip noise when the turbo waste gate is cycled when the engine is first started, and it squeals at speeds of around 40- 70 mph. The waste gate chirp was confirmed by my dealer mechanic. He checked the new Rangers on the lot and they all had the chirp as well, so he noted the problem in case it became worse in the future and to insure that it was recorded during the warranty period incase parts end up needing to be replaced. The squeal while at speed on my vehicle is coming from the center support bearing on the drive shaft. They ordered a replacement driveshaft for me that is on indefinite back-order at the moment.
Interesting, I have both symptoms and have less than 3500 miles on it! If the support bearing goes out that quickly, there a bigger issue at hand in material/design. :(
Sponsored