chirp sound coming from the engine

Kalradia

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
I found this thread while sitting at home waiting for the dealership to figure out this noise...(why didn't I Google it before? :facepalm:) They basically said the same thing and there's nothing they can do.

I did jokingly ask if I could get a discount on a Borla exhaust system to "fix" the sound and the service tech said he could do that.

So maybe that's my solution :idea:
Honestly, I wouldn't accept it as an answer. After my initial response here, and the service appointment to replace the turbo, the issue came back a week later. Their response was to replace the turbo again. That was about a month ago by now, and the issue has not returned. They said on the next attempt, Ford was going to send out a technician and possibly see about a redesign. So I would pressure them about this issue. Ford definitely knows, and is definitely willing to replace a turbo once or twice.

Aaron77

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX4
It's definitely annoying they didn't do anything about it. Even if nothing is "wrong", it seems a small dab of grease could help it. Might do that myself, just not sure what would be best to use so it doesn't inadvertently collect dust and get gummed up.

Kalradia

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
It's definitely annoying they didn't do anything about it. Even if nothing is "wrong", it seems a small dab of grease could help it. Might do that myself, just not sure what would be best to use so it doesn't inadvertently collect dust and get gummed up.
Problem is, that's an exhaust, so it's extremely hot. Grease would probably just burn up and create a bad odor.

Fitzmotor

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 75 crewcab F350, 65 Mustang
Occupation
Retired from Honda Racing.
To bring back a old post, I knew I had read something here about this, I have it as well, I wonder if the squeak is just the shaft through it's bore, or if it's the actual wastegate arm binding/rubbing on the housing, the guys that have lubed the shaft, has it returned?

OP
OP
PonyXpress

PonyXpress

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I tried using lub and it helped a little for short period of time. I still have this issue. I plan to take it to dealership before warranty runs out and make them fix it.

scarchild35

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Sales Engineer
Mine does this intermittently during idling. I noticed it right away while standing outside my truck while it's running. I correctly assumed it had something to do with the turbo wastegate. This is kind of the same idea as when a truck with air brakes occasionally lets out a hiss of air while sitting still. It's just a pressure equalization thing and completely normal. It's WAY louder when you're cruising around city streets, lightly accelerating, and you let off the throttle when your speed is around 25-30 mph.
Before I bought this truck I was only dimly aware of how a turbo works but I dove down that particular rabbit hole and learned a lot.

Be careful taking your truck to the dealer with these noises. You might wind up with a brake flush, like what happened to the guy who took his in curious about the noise of the fuel pump priming...
Sponsored