Step by step for old guy

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
Today I used a Microfiber clay towel, the thing was absolute junk though, will go back to the clay bars even though they are back breaking work. so I had to ditch it I then tried some of this just to clean the paint up a little.

https://www.p21s.com/portfolio/gloss-enhancing-paintwork-cleanser/

Then I went over it with 2 coats of this

https://www.meguiars.com/automotive...-wax-long-lasting-ceramic-protection-easy-use

Spent about 4 1/2 hours on it , I'm happy with the results vs amount of time I spent. The Meguiars is super easy to use. wont stain black trim either.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Today I used a Microfiber clay towel, the thing was absolute junk though, will go back to the clay bars even though they are back breaking work. so I had to ditch it I then tried some of this just to clean the paint up a little.

https://www.p21s.com/portfolio/gloss-enhancing-paintwork-cleanser/

Then I went over it with 2 coats of this

https://www.meguiars.com/automotive...-wax-long-lasting-ceramic-protection-easy-use

Spent about 4 1/2 hours on it , I'm happy with the results vs amount of time I spent. The Meguiars is super easy to use. wont stain black trim either.
Jay, have you tried a clay mitt before? I never used a clay towel but have been using this clay mitt and it works great. So much easier than a clay bar and a lot faster too because you cover more area. I can do my whole truck in about 30 minutes and after doing the "bag test" is smooth as glass. Another good thing is if you drop it just rinse it off and go back to work unlike clay bars where they're ruined and have to be thrown away.

https://www.goldeagle.com/product/303-contaminant-removal-mitt/

Clay-Mitt.jpg

Buddybiro

First Name
Buddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger xlt
Occupation
Retired
Mequiars NXT GEN WAX SEALER is what you want! Easy on easy off and lasts.
1614904157391.jpeg

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
A trick I use for making the clay bar much easier is rinse and wash a panel/section at a time. Then either dip your sponge etc. in the soap bucket and run it over the previously washed panel squeezing the sponge to release enough soapy water to coat. Then clay that panel and rinse. I personally use a pressure washer, so I just turn to "soap" setting and hit the panel with soap a second time after I wash & rinse, then clay and rinse as above. I always spray and wipe down with a 50% isopropyl alcohol mixture before waxing to remove any oils etc. It's quick and easy and I am convinced it helps the wax bond and increases longevity. Usually the beginning of the warm season I hit my vehicles with a polish (using a machine) like Meg's ultimate polish, after I clay and before the isopropyl wipe, but it's not necessary in most cases. I think Turtle Wax Ice Seal & Shine is hard to beat for longevity and it's dirt cheap. I do think it's less forgiving on dark vehicles (especially if it's hot) because it's easy to over apply.

BlueXLT

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
A trick I use for making the clay bar much easier is rinse and wash a panel/section at a time. Then either dip your sponge etc. in the soap bucket and run it over the previously washed panel squeezing the sponge to release enough soapy water to coat. Then clay that panel and rinse. I personally use a pressure washer, so I just turn to "soap" setting and hit the panel with soap a second time after I wash & rinse, then clay and rinse as above. I always spray and wipe down with a 50% isopropyl alcohol mixture before waxing to remove any oils etc. It's quick and easy and I am convinced it helps the wax bond and increases longevity. Usually the beginning of the warm season I hit my vehicles with a polish (using a machine) like Meg's ultimate polish, after I clay and before the isopropyl wipe, but it's not necessary in most cases. I think Turtle Wax Ice Seal & Shine is hard to beat for longevity and it's dirt cheap. I do think it's less forgiving on dark vehicles (especially if it's hot) because it's easy to over apply.
Came to post something like this. I'm doing my truck right now and going to break it up into a few weekends. I just finished the hood and front. I'll do the roof this weekend, and if i get to it maybe the tailgate.

I don't have a whole day to spend detailing my vehicle anymore. I've broken this process up the past few years now with good success. Getting the car clayed and polished though is probably the most critical part to get right.

Ranger Dave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Store Manager
OP: Meguiars has a 1,2,3 system that works great.
Step 1 is like a Cleaner wax. It cleans dirt out of the paint (used to actually say “cleaner wax” on the label, now it says “Ultimare compound”
Step 2 is Polish, which gets light scratches out
And
Step 3 is the Wax to add and kinda seal in the shine.
IMO, the more time you spend making sure the paint is clean, and then working on getting micro scratches out - the better the shine.
if you don’t have one, get. Porter Cable buffer and 3 sets of pads and go to town. You can’t burn the paint with a PC unit, and you will spend a lot less time rather than doing it by hand.

arbjosh

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Fx4
Occupation
Arborist
Also make sure you do your standard cleaning with the 2 bucket method. 1 bucket for soapy water mix and the other just straight water. Use the water bucket to clean your sponge of any dirty before redipping into the soap. Helps avoid scratching and swirling the paint. You could also up the ante by adding grates to the buckets. Costs about 10 bucks for 2 on Amazon. Lastly, clean with a back and forth motion rather than circular. This avoids swirls.

SemperVee

First Name
Dar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 LARIAT. 2019 Ranger XLT Traded in.
Vehicle Showcase
From another "Old Guy" I've just added a NEW 2020 HPP "Rapid Red Pearl" Mustang to our Sweet Silver Sport 2019 Ranger and I too want to keep them looking good. How Often do you "Clay" the surface? I thought you only do that yearly to take off bumps from the paint? I watched way too many Youtubes and the Turtle Wax Ice seal and was for $9.97 at Walmart did as well as ANY expensive new age worded protection that would last at least 6 months as compared to the way more expensive spray on's... That is what I am going with now.

Ranger Dave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Store Manager
I’d say you could clay bar every 3-4 months. There’s a thing called the “baggy” test. Get a regular sandwich bag, slip your hand in to it, then run the bag lightly over the paint. The bag will accentuate the feeling of dirt in the paint (may feel almost like sandpaper). That’s when you know. It’s weird, because sometimes you may run your hand over the paint and think it feels ok- then you do the baggy test, and you can tell the difference. You can also clay bar an area real well, then do the baggy test, and you will see what I mean. Hope this helps.

SemperVee

First Name
Dar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 LARIAT. 2019 Ranger XLT Traded in.
Vehicle Showcase
I’d say you could clay bar every 3-4 months. There’s a thing called the “baggy” test. Get a regular sandwich bag, slip your hand in to it, then run the bag lightly over the paint. The bag will accentuate the feeling of dirt in the paint (may feel almost like sandpaper). That’s when you know. It’s weird, because sometimes you may run your hand over the paint and think it feels ok- then you do the baggy test, and you can tell the difference. You can also clay bar an area real well, then do the baggy test, and you will see what I mean. Hope this helps.
Good info - Who'da thunk about using a sandwich bag?? LOL!

Ranger8729

First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1987 Ranger & 2019 Ranger
I’d say you could clay bar every 3-4 months.
Please be aware that clay bars are abrasive, and doing it this often will more than likely micro-mar your paint. I clay bar once a year with my vehicles. A good quality topcoat/sealant will last those 3-4 months easily, and just reapply. I love the Turtle Wax Seal'n'Shine myself too. Use it on the parents cars when I clean them up, and my 1987 Ranger.

I had my 2019 Magnetic SCrew professionally done with SB3 Alpha Ceramic coating. All paint surfaces, wheels, and glass. I was using the truck as both personal and professional at teh time and needed a quick, easy way to clean it up for clients after 1000mile trips, and the SB3 is insane at how easy dirt and contaminants rinse/wipe off. And a 5 year protection warranty with me using their wash and detailer (i already did).
IMG_20210117_105142.jpg

I just did the wife's 2014 CRV for it's yearly clean up. Excuse the mess, building a shed and using one car bay as storage before i gut this garage and sheetrock! yeah, i'm excited for that.

Wash, iron decon, wash, clay bar using detailer as lube (not wash, not slick enough), Chemical guys v38 for light correction, BlackFire sealant, and topped off with Chemical Guys Butter wet wax. I use Blackfire detailer after i wash the car (usually every 2 weeks since it's the workhorse) and that combo lasts almost 7 months of water beading and protection. I just top off the sealant and wax for another half a year.
20210325_103426.jpg

Last edited:

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
I use the clay bar just once a year in the spring. Couple years ago I had surgery on both thumbs for arthritis and didn't have much hand strength for a while (my name is also Jon and I am also old, 60). Was at the Ford Nationals in Carlisle and stumbled into the Meguier's trailer and explained my deal and asked what wax they had that would apply and buff off easily. They recommended Meguier's Gold Class, I liked it and been using it since.
Sponsored