Careful stepping in the rear bumper

grizzly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
From stones ? Or door dings ?
Definately not door dings. Service guy at the dealership said it looks like a weed wacker was the cause. I know it wasn't because that side of my truck faces the side of the driveway where there is no weed wacker activity.
Sponsored

Ranger Roger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Fit, 2004 Honda ST1300abs, 2018 Honda HR-V
Boom......

No steppy on bumper now.

8F814CEA-FC18-4F92-91B3-A09B41544227.jpeg

20D41EDE-A2C9-49D5-B7A9-7399D99032D7.jpeg

480C9356-745A-4C96-B29C-3503E82DD892.jpeg
I need something like that but one that works with the tailgate down. Does it clear the side of the tailgate? Too old to jump down and don’t like jumping up backwards onto tailgate. Bad knees don’t help either.

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4x4 Saber
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
I need something like that but one that works with the tailgate down. Does it clear the side of the tailgate? Too old to jump down and don’t like jumping up backwards onto tailgate. Bad knees don’t help either.
It clears enough.
You can adjust out some also. Maybe 1-1.5” more than in my picture. I turn around to get down. Left hand on bed side, watch for step between legs, step down. Should be a good option. I can still jump down at 55 but when older we also should get smarter. Give it a try. Solid step also.

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer
The tire makes a pretty good step for bed side access. As a bonus you aren’t likely to damage it.
But pants leg and shoes can rub paint.
Ok if a farm truck but some want the paint to last.

Deleted member 1634

The tire makes a pretty good step for bed side access. As a bonus you aren’t likely to damage it.
But pants leg and shoes can rub paint.
Ok if a farm truck but some want the paint to last.
I feel like the bigger "issue" with using the tire is that it's not much lower than the tailgate (when lowered) or bumper, so you still have to make that first big step. You're not really gaining anything, as far as having an easier step than the tailgate, by using it. It's a perfectly good idea and I've done it plenty of times, but it doesn't fix the step issue in my opinion.

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
I feel like the bigger "issue" with using the tire is that it's not much lower than the tailgate (when lowered) or bumper, so you still have to make that first big step. You're not really gaining anything, as far as having an easier step than the tailgate, by using it. It's a perfectly good idea and I've done it plenty of times, but it doesn't fix the step issue in my opinion.
Bed rail makes a good handle for balance and pulling up while stepping up and over from the tire. Easier for taller folks with long legs.

Last edited:

Ranger Roger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Fit, 2004 Honda ST1300abs, 2018 Honda HR-V
It clears enough.
You can adjust out some also. Maybe 1-1.5” more than in my picture. I turn around to get down. Left hand on bed side, watch for step between legs, step down. Should be a good option. I can still jump down at 55 but when older we also should get smarter. Give it a try. Solid step also.
Where did you get it from and what is it called or model and manufacturer?

Sandman Ranger

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lead Process Engineer

sbreech

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Administrator
After you touch up that scratch, wrap that small panel in clear vinyl. Maybe two layers.
Sponsored