Step Bar Filler Panels or touch up rocker panels... or is this a warranty claim for sloppy paint job?

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Crewcab & 2003 Mountaineer Premier
So I was just looking at the rocker panels on both sides of my Ranger that I just got last week. I was walking by the truck, and I notice the bottom of the rocker panel looked rough on the driver side. I compared it to the passenger side. Upon closer inspection, it looks like a bad paint job along the bottom with globs of paint. I ran my hand along the length, and some paint fell off in a couple spots. I got down and looked under the truck and yep, bare metal on the bottom edge of the rocker panel where the paint globs (about 3/4inch wide each) fell off!!
Is this something I should bring to the dealer's attention under warranty? I first thought, oh well I can prep it and touch it up and then have the step bar filler panels installed. Well, I looked at the price for those... gulp. And then they only come in bright stainless steel and my truck has the black appearance package.

Kinda gripes me that this truck got through quality control with a paint job like that. Should I just touch it up myself and live with it and hope it doesn't eventually start rusting there?? I waited 18 years to buy a new vehicle again, so you can imagine how I might feel.
Sponsored

spartan0078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger lariat
Occupation
Railroader
The paint is supposed to be more rough along the bottom of the rockers for added protection. But it certainly shouldn't be falling off.

OP
OP
paval3

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The paint is supposed to be more rough along the bottom of the rockers for added protection. But it certainly shouldn't be falling off.
The passenger side is smooth if you run your hand along the bottom, nice clean paint job. The driver side has globs of paint, looks like paint dripped and dried in paint globs and flake off easily by running hand along bottom edge leaving bare metal. You have to get down and look at the bottom edge to see the bare paint. I could live with the sloppy paint job visually, but worried about bare metal may rust where it flaked off.

I did just see these. What do you all think... if I touch up the bottom edge and put something like these on?
https://www.bushwacker.com/Truck-Trail-Armor-Rocker-Panel/2021/ford/ranger

jmurph

First Name
jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Ranger
Occupation
Gov
Guessing it's like mine only noticeable if you stand a few feet away or take a knee next to the truck

20210506_084828.jpg

OP
OP
paval3

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guessing it's like mine only noticeable if you stand a few feet away or take a knee next to the truck

20210506_084828.jpg
Yes, but my paint drip globs are even bigger I do believe! Is yours flaking off?

jmurph

First Name
jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Ranger
Occupation
Gov
Yes, but my paint drip globs are even bigger I do believe! Is yours flaking off?
If I touch them they will definitely peel right off with a poke, but otherwise seem to be fairly hard and sealed on the pinch weld

OP
OP
paval3

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
got a camera?
I have an older iPhone with not the best camera, but I can try to take a pic tomorrow of the outside edge. I know I can't get a photo of the lower edge underneath where there is now bare paint from the globs flaking off.

OP
OP
paval3

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If I touch them they will definitely peel right off with a poke, but otherwise seem to be fairly hard and sealed on the pinch weld
Maybe I should just order the touch up paint and address the bottom edge that way for now then keep an eye on it. If the globs flaking off start taking paint from the outer edge where bare metal would be visible, I'll have to do something else like adding those Bushwackers on.

jmurph

First Name
jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Ranger
Occupation
Gov
Maybe I should just order the touch up paint and address the bottom edge that way for now then keep an eye on it. If the globs flaking off start taking paint from the outer edge where bare metal would be visible, I'll have to do something else like adding those Bushwackers on.
Honestly might be better to just get some clear coat and cake it on and seal it up good.

OP
OP
paval3

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honestly might be better to just get some clear coat and cake it on and seal it up good.
That would be easy enough.

peterson1604

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Body shop manager
Vehicle Showcase
That would be easy enough.
The rockers should be rough on both sides. They apply a product called gravel guard to protect against rock chips and then the gravel guard is clear coated over for added protection. Chances are the dealer has a body shop that can take care of this under factory warranty so I would certainly get it addressed.

If your roads in Pennsylvania are salted like our roads in Michigan during the winter you're going to want this taken care of to protect the metal.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I was thinking of painting that area black. I think it would blend in with the frame an look better.

OP
OP
paval3

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The rockers should be rough on both sides. They apply a product called gravel guard to protect against rock chips and then the gravel guard is clear coated over for added protection. Chances are the dealer has a body shop that can take care of this under factory warranty so I would certainly get it addressed.

If your roads in Pennsylvania are salted like our roads in Michigan during the winter you're going to want this taken care of to protect the metal.
Are you talking about a very slight pebble type texture to the paint? I've seen that, but that isn't what this is. When I say rough, I don't mean the paint finish texture, I mean like rough uneven edge at the very bottom because it's like globs of paint hanging down and when you touch them they flake off leaving bare metal.

peterson1604

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Body shop manager
Vehicle Showcase
Are you talking about a very slight pebble type texture to the paint? I've seen that, but that isn't what this is. When I say rough, I don't mean the paint finish texture, I mean like rough uneven edge at the very bottom because it's like globs of paint hanging down and when you touch them they flake off leaving bare metal.
Correct, tough to tell what your issue is without seeing a good picture but you should still bring it into the dealer since it's under warranty.
Sponsored