Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
So my first mod will be to figure out a way to disable the engine start/stop. I realize there is a button. But it will become annoying to remember to push it every single time I start it. Is there a way to permanently disabling it?
Sponsored

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
So my first mod will be to figure out a way to disable the engine start/stop. I realize there is a button. But it will become annoying to remember to push it every single time I start it. Is there a way to permanently disabling it?
Yes, it can be defeated with custom tuning. Once the tuning market releases tunes for the ranger they will most definitely have options to disable Start/Stop.

Strokerduster

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger XLT, 2019 Edge ST, 1946 CJ2a street rod, shop full of motoorcycles
Vehicle Showcase
Dealer can NOT disable it. Pretty much nothing that affects MPG can be modified by dealership. I don't think that they can even calibrate speedo, for larger tires, anymore. Programmer is the only way I know of.

StAugKid

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Fiesta ST
Occupation
Assistant Manager Kay Jewelers
Put a trailer 7 pin to 4 pin adapter in the trailer plug. Truck thinks there is a trailer connected, and will disable the start-stop mode.

They do this on the f150's
That's the easiest and best solution I've seen. I test drove a F150 last month and that start stop was the worst.

LBOWMAN

First Name
LARRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RANGER LARIAT S/CREW , 2015 F150
Occupation
EQUIPMENT OPERATOR
ARE YOU KIDDING ME ? HATE AUTO START STOP. DISABLED ON MY F150 AND WIFES EXPLORER. COULD BE A PAIN IN THE ASS.

kep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I have start-stop on the fusion and just don't see what the big deal is. It works well on that.

Dig-It

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R, Focus RS, FiST, Explorer Sport
Um guys ... there’s a button on the dash/center console that allows you to turn it off and on at will. It’s really easy - just like, um, pushing a button.

Seriously though, I’m going to assume that the auto stop/start feature doesn’t always kick in just as in my Focus. The more spirited the driving, the less likely the engine stops when the car does. It’s also really not annoying to push the button when I get caught in stop and go traffic.

Last edited:

skibuff

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Escape / 2019 Ford Ranger XLT Lighting Blue
Um guys ... there’s a button on the dash/center console that allows you to turn it off and on at will. It’s really easy - just like, um, pushing a button.
It resets and you will have to turn it off every time you start the car. I think they are just trying to find a solution to permanently turn it off.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
It resets and you will have to turn it off every time you start the car. I think they are just trying to find a solution to permanently turn it off.
You’re right. From Page 135 of the owner’s manual:

Disabling Auto-Start-Stop

“Press the Auto-Start-Stop
button located on the center
console to switch the system off.
The button will illuminate. The system will
only be deactivated for the current ignition
cycle.
Press the button again to restore
Auto-Start-Stop function.”

OP
OP
Desert_5G

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
The only reason I'd like if off perminently is because the amount of gas it will save is so insignificant; it's not worth it. It will cause more wear and tear on the engine and battery than it's worth.

Ugga Mugga

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
There's two popular ways to disable auto start stop on the F-150, so these may work on the Ranger as well.

1) Reprogram using Forscan and change the values in the address string (BCM module - 726-48-02 / x0xx/xxxx/xxxx) for 'auto start/stop' will permanently disable this feature. Equipment needed: Laptop, a OBDII WIFI adapter, Forscan program

2) Plug in a trailer brake light tester that costs just a few bucks. It makes the computer system believe you have a trailer attached, which disables auto start stop.

Here's videos on each method:

Saddle Tramp

First Name
Jerald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F350 Lariat, 2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 Honda CRV
Occupation
Retired Rancher
I am told it’s just a matter, of connecting, or disconnecting a wire behind the button.

rduvall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Altima
I am told it’s just a matter, of connecting, or disconnecting a wire behind the button.
Makes me wonder if swapping button wiring with a tune change would make it disabled by default and then when you hit the button it would enable and light the button telling you it is on.
Sponsored