Sport Mode

GSD4EVR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL-STX 4WD
Why?

Sport mode? Or Selectshift? Are you shifting manually?

If you're shifting manually I could understand. But if you're just using it to hold gears longer why not just use Tow/haul or one of the TM modes?

I use sport mode because the throttle response is better and I manually shift between 1st and 2d gears (mainly) on most of the trails I ride. I'm almost exclusively in four wheel drive, especially 4-low, and the trailering mode settings are still to nuanced for for my comfort and control.
Sponsored

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I use sport mode because the throttle response is better and I manually shift between 1st and 2d gears (mainly) on most of the trails I ride. I'm almost exclusively in four wheel drive, especially 4-low, and the trailering mode settings are still to nuanced for for my comfort and control.
I avoid low gear unless I need it but do occasionally use manual shifting to lock in a lower gear downhill like Dave was saying.

If I do I'll throw it down to to S, hit the - to lock a gear in and let go from there. Thus seems to keep me from bumping it out.

My first experiences offroad were in a column shift automatic. I had a bad habit of resting my hand on the shifter while negotiating tighter stuff. The bumpy stuff cured me of that rather quickly.

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
The only German cars I've ever driven have been track prepped, three pedals.

Why is this design you speak of superior?

Obviously you've never driven a truck?
The only german vehicles I ever encounter spend most of their time at the mechanic instead of being driven..... you can enjoy your proprietary overpriced wiper blades and shoddy reliability I will stick with my ranger

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
The only german vehicles I ever encounter spend most of their time at the mechanic instead of being driven..... you can enjoy your proprietary overpriced wiper blades and shoddy reliability I will stick with my ranger
I'm pretty sure the track prepped ones I've driven started off as repair projects people took too far.

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Don't agree with this being a "standard". I have owned many German cars that do not behave this way. Sport is a mode just like Drive. I don't get why it doesn't have a detent.
The reason as others have stated is so you dont accidentally shift into reverse or park its a common sense safety measure, and for the cars that have the stupid slide to the side thing for sport which takes up more room btw there is still no lock that you have to push the button for to get it back to drive just saying

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
I'm pretty sure the track prepped ones I've driven started off as repair projects people took too far.
Meant to reply to op not to you my bad lol and yeah I wouldn't doubt that, by the time they get to you there probably isn't a whole lot of german left in them lol

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Meant to reply to op not to you my bad lol and yeah I wouldn't doubt that, by the time they get to you there probably isn't a whole lot of german left in them lol
There was an LS swapped Audi that used to frequent our local AutoXs and track days that definitely fits that description.

Squatchranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Yep. When I'm off road I prefer the shifter in sport mode and it seems natural to rest my hand on it. But I curse like a golfer every dang time it slips into drive when I'm going over bumpy undulating terrain!
I am guilty of this too but I usually will lock out a few gears and let it do its thing havent had any problems with it going between 1 and 6 offroad and doing its thing also I can't talk as I am guilty of resting my hand on it too but offroad we should really have both hands on the wheel lol but that aint gonna happen

Wytchdctr

First Name
Doug P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Retired Military/HR Manager
Trip across Houston today used all the driving modes; D, S, and Tow. Maybe because I saw Maverick and wanted to push buttons and move the shifter around. It felt cooler just bumping into drive once I got out in front of traffic leaving S; before selecting tow. I swear I wasn't listening to Kenny Loggins on repeat.

Last edited:

GSD4EVR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL-STX 4WD
Trip across Houston today all the driving mods; D, S, and Tow. Maybe because I saw Maverick and wanted to push buttons and move the shifter around. It felt cooler just bumping into drive once I got out in front of traffic leaving S; before selecting tow. I swear I wasn't listening to Kenny Loggins on repeat.
Were you inverted?

Sariandan

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang EcoBoost
Occupation
Paramedic/Shift Supervisor
As he was shifting into reverse you could tell a pucker-factor was occurring.
He's got balls to try it at 60-70, without knowing what will happen.

Soooo.... can we do this in our 5Gs? I'm not trying it. But, it does bring to mind some good pranks to play on the passenger who likes to sleep on a trip.

BS67

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Eye Tech, 2A supporter, USMC "Doc" '89-'95
He's got balls to try it at 60-70, without knowing what will happen.

Soooo.... can we do this in our 5Gs? I'm not trying it. But, it does bring to mind some good pranks to play on the passenger who likes to sleep on a trip.
I don't have the cahonies to try it that's for sure! If I did......that would be a good joke to pull on someone!

seanellaz

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT CrewCab Fx4
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
I can't find anything in the Owners manual so I thought I would ask here. When I select sport mode the release button on the drive select lever does not lock in place. So I can bump it forward back into D without depressing the release button. Is this normal? No big deal it just seems like a stupid design choice.
I never noticed. I move around mostly in Sport, but @ times "D". Never noticed that I could go from S to D w/o pressing the trigger, just that it is required to go from D to S.
Sponsored