Sport mode and my ASS

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
There really must be such a thing as electronic gremlins, yesterday coming home from work , like every other day , clearly in sport mode , I can see I am , I can feel I am , come to a stoplight, like all the others , truck shuts off and the ASS indicator on the dash lights up , make sure I'm really in sport mode , and scratch me head ??? didn't do it again , and I tried ... gremlins I guess...
Sponsored

OP
OP
NotBudule

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
just odd , 4000 miles , half tow mode half sport , maybe 100 miles in D. , did it once in tow mode , way back when I fist got it , and yesterday ... and every time I start it , I hit the ASS and the TOW buttons at the same time , automatically, preflight... perhaps if I take it to the dealer he will exterminate this gremlin , should be easy to find , it's done it twice now in 5 months... lemon law ??

OP
OP
NotBudule

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
yes, seriously give the truck back. its garbage
others have threatened lemon laws for less.
I'll probably just stop making payments ,I don't feel safe anymore driving it that way , if I let them have it back , someone else will be in danger...

Theslim_spaydee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT (she gone) 2022 BD Bronco
Occupation
Finance
Sounds like the Russians have tapped into your truck. I am pretty up to date on my auto policy loopholes. Most policies will cover a loss caused by fire if the sole purpose is to hinder the Russian invasion.

Don't bother googling it though cause I am an expert. Blindly trust experts!

RangerTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Dude - as soon as I got my trucks home from the dealer that is the FIRST THING I DID... Disable that SH@T.

Pull that little plug off the battery terminal and it disables the auto stop... There is a vid on youtube.

The whole process takes less than 30 seconds...

Last edited:

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Dude - as soon as I got my trucks home from the dealer that is the FIRST THING I DID... Disable that SH@T.

Pull that little plug off the battery terminal and it disables the auto stop... There is a vid on youtube.

This is true but… it also disables the BMS system. That means your battery is taking a full charge from the alternator all the time. The AGM batteries don’t like that to much!

The alternative and simplest method is using Forscan and turn it off there! Then you can also tweak all kinds of others things. Warning, this becomes an addiction of, what shall I manipulate today!

OP
OP
NotBudule

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT

Im aware of all the ways to disable it , with yours being the worst (sorry , but that is the worst way ) my head scratcher is why did it enable itself in sport mode , which disables it , 1 time in 5 months and 4000 miles ? hence the proof of electronic gremlins...

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Im aware of all the ways to disable it , with yours being the worst (sorry , but that is the worst way ) my head scratcher is why did it enable itself in sport mode , which disables it , 1 time in 5 months and 4000 miles ? hence the proof of electronic gremlins...
Try this.

I could be wrong, mine is disabled via ForScan, but I believe hitting the ASS button while in Sport will re-enable ASS. Is it possible you were already in Sport when you "religiously" hit the button?

OP
OP
NotBudule

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Try this.

I could be wrong, mine is disabled via ForScan, but I believe hitting the ASS button while in Sport will re-enable ASS. Is it possible you were already in Sport when you "religiously" hit the button?
Ehhh , yes , I'm reaching for vapes and phones and unmentionables , might have hit it, BUT , I pretty sure it's off in sport , but now I gots to go check... either way , same routine for months , never had ASS come on in sport ... and that one time in tow... I really couldn't care less about it now , just want to confirm the presence of the EG's...

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Ehhh , yes , I'm reaching for vapes and phones and unmentionables , might have hit it, BUT , I pretty sure it's off in sport , but now I gots to go check... either way , same routine for months , never had ASS come on in sport ... and that one time in tow... I really couldn't care less about it now , just want to confirm the presence of the EG's...
I'm pretty sure I remember reading something saying that's how it works. That you can choose to turn it on in Sport.

Go put it in Sport, hit your ASS, and see if the "No ASS" light goes away.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Ehhh , yes , I'm reaching for vapes ...
Found the problem.

Your truck hates you and is trying to either remove you or tick you off to the point where you relinquish it to another owner.

Be wary of AEB gremlins coming up soon or it may borrow a page from Audi and do some unintended accelerations.

Edit: I just confirmed that you can indeed re-enable your ASS when in Sport mode, or al least it appears that it's re-enabled. I didn't go for a drive to be 100%.

Last edited:

the5Gmartian

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
U.S. Navy
You can turn ASS on in sport mode……. But yeah, it’s probably just an absolute pile of sh*t. Might as well put a “Free” sign on it and cut your losses now.

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired