Speed: 0-60 (Stock and Tuned)

RangerStranger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Howdy Dennis! Hey, what company/tuner is your 87 tune from? I'm in San Diego, CA and can't justify the price of using 91. Just curious. Not sure if any besides the Ford Performance Tune (that requires 91) will be available for my CA registered VIN. Chinese vape pen :LOL:
I’m also in San Diego and please don’t take this in a negative way. But if you don’t want to spend the money on 91 over 87 octane then you shouldn’t be spending money on a tune. You should always run 91 octane with a turbo. Yea, yea I know ford says you can run 87 but they also say you should change your oil every 10,000 miles.

If you want the most out of your truck including power then you need to run the appropriate fuel for it, especially with a tune.

I have the OZ Omega flex tune, I run 91 about once a month and the rest of the time I run e50. With the blend and cost of e85 you actually save money on gas. My Ranger is stupid fast for a truck, ran it against a Civic Type R and newer wrx and I embarrassed both of them. Plenty of power for anything you will ever need to do
Sponsored

Egg69

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport
Occupation
Systems Analyst for Bonsall Unified School District
I’m also in San Diego and please don’t take this in a negative way. But if you don’t want to spend the money on 91 over 87 octane then you shouldn’t be spending money on a tune. You should always run 91 octane with a turbo. Yea, yea I know ford says you can run 87 but they also say you should change your oil every 10,000 miles.

If you want the most out of your truck including power then you need to run the appropriate fuel for it, especially with a tune.

I have the OZ Omega flex tune, I run 91 about once a month and the rest of the time I run e50. With the blend and cost of e85 you actually save money on gas. My Ranger is stupid fast for a truck, ran it against a Civic Type R and newer wrx and I embarrassed both of them. Plenty of power for anything you will ever need to do
Not taken negative what so ever! I appreciate the insight. Now your sending me down a new rabbit hole! lol. I'm intrigued on that last paragraph. e50? I looked it up and saw that you blend 91 and e85. 50/50? Did you see increased MPG (when not smoking Type R's and wrx's. lmao!)? How do you get around them not shipping to CA and do you have to use their HP tuners? Did you do any bolt on mods? I've got minor ones- Roush CAI, CVF hotside IC pipe, TS BOV, and the AFE scoop Thanks m'man I really appreciate the knowledge! (I'm completely new to tuning and engine performance upgrades- the last vehicle I did anything remotely similar to was a '79 pinto back in '87). That thing was fast as hell!

RangerStranger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not taken negative what so ever! I appreciate the insight. Now your sending me down a new rabbit hole! lol. I'm intrigued on that last paragraph. e50? I looked it up and saw that you blend 91 and e85. 50/50? Did you see increased MPG (when not smoking Type R's and wrx's. lmao!)? How do you get around them not shipping to CA and do you have to use their HP tuners? Did you do any bolt on mods? I've got minor ones- Roush CAI, CVF hotside IC pipe, TS BOV, and the AFE scoop Thanks m'man I really appreciate the knowledge! (I'm completely new to tuning and engine performance upgrades- the last vehicle I did anything remotely similar to was a '79 pinto back in '87). That thing was fast as hell!
My Ranger has a S&B intake, TS BOV and a custom cat back dump exhaust. Besides that and the tune the rest of the truck is stock as far as performance mods. I also have about $10,000 in suspension, full APG midrunner kit, king shocks, uppers, tie rods, deavers and 33” falken Wildpeaks. Truck is very fast especially with the suspension and 33”s to be considered.

Yes, e50 is about 50/50 mix, e30 is about 4 gallons of e85 to 14 gallons of 91. Unfortunately for us we don’t get 93 here in San Diego which is a bummer but 91 still mixes fine.

As for not shipping to ca I simply had them send it to a friend of mine in Las Vegas and he mailed it to me.

Also yes, with any tune you need to get a tuner, something like an HPtuner works great for a lot of these guy making tunes for our trucks because they just email you a tune, you download it onto your computer and install it in the truck with the HPtuner. It’s quite simple and there’s a lot of very good videos on how to do it.

With our smog laws in CA new trucks don’t have to be smogged for 10 years so I was completely fine with tuning my truck. The transmissions we have are very reliable and handle power well. There’s some guys running 5g rangers with bigger turbos and upgraded fuel injectors on full e85 and putting down ridiculous power numbers on stock internals and stock trans like 550 tq and 470whp. That’s overkill for me. I’m sitting right around 440tq and 360whp and I’m plenty happy.

Egg69

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport
Occupation
Systems Analyst for Bonsall Unified School District
My Ranger has a S&B intake, TS BOV and a custom cat back dump exhaust. Besides that and the tune the rest of the truck is stock as far as performance mods. I also have about $10,000 in suspension, full APG midrunner kit, king shocks, uppers, tie rods, deavers and 33” falken Wildpeaks. Truck is very fast especially with the suspension and 33”s to be considered.

Yes, e50 is about 50/50 mix, e30 is about 4 gallons of e85 to 14 gallons of 91. Unfortunately for us we don’t get 93 here in San Diego which is a bummer but 91 still mixes fine.

As for not shipping to ca I simply had them send it to a friend of mine in Las Vegas and he mailed it to me.

Also yes, with any tune you need to get a tuner, something like an HPtuner works great for a lot of these guy making tunes for our trucks because they just email you a tune, you download it onto your computer and install it in the truck with the HPtuner. It’s quite simple and there’s a lot of very good videos on how to do it.

With our smog laws in CA new trucks don’t have to be smogged for 10 years so I was completely fine with tuning my truck. The transmissions we have are very reliable and handle power well. There’s some guys running 5g rangers with bigger turbos and upgraded fuel injectors on full e85 and putting down ridiculous power numbers on stock internals and stock trans like 550 tq and 470whp. That’s overkill for me. I’m sitting right around 440tq and 360whp and I’m plenty happy.
Sounds awesome! Thanks for all the great info! Any pics out there of your truck/build?

bbeverag

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat Tremor
Yes, e50 is about 50/50 mix, e30 is about 4 gallons of e85 to 14 gallons of 91.
I’m sitting right around 440tq and 360whp and I’m plenty happy.
Out of curiosity, what kind of mileage do you get with those power numbers? I recognize it will depend highly on driving style.

RangerStranger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Out of curiosity, what kind of mileage do you get with those power numbers? I recognize it will depend highly on driving style.
To be honest mileage is atrocious. E85 burns hotter and faster, so while it’s cheaper to use, it doesn’t get you far. I average right around 10-12 in the city (but to be fair I’m almost always gassing it, it’s hard not to when it’s so much fun) and 18 on longer trips if I’m driving about 70mph.

pbethel

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2016 Ford t250 Transit
Occupation
retired
To be honest mileage is atrocious. E85 burns hotter and faster, so while it’s cheaper to use, it doesn’t get you far. I average right around 10-12 in the city (but to be fair I’m almost always gassing it, it’s hard not to when it’s so much fun) and 18 on longer trips if I’m driving about 70mph.
Ummm....no.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
Couple years ago someone posted their timeslip from the drags on what they claimed was a stock truck and it showed 14.8 seconds, which seems reasonable.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Umm yes…

IMG_6977.png
yes so the E85 tune has to more fuel to the mixture causing it to use more. I guy I know had an 800 HP 2019 Mustang an he ran the E85. He said with the size of his supercharger an the amount of e85 required he had to add larger fuel lines, pump an injectors.

RangerStranger

First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yes so the E85 tune has to more fuel to the mixture causing it to use more. I guy I know had an 800 HP 2019 Mustang an he ran the E85. He said with the size of his supercharger an the amount of e85 required he had to add larger fuel lines, pump an injectors.
Yea, very true. The ranger can run full e85 with a tune but it runs out of injector before anything else. Most people increase injectors and a bigger fuel pump. My point was just the fact that e85 does burn faster than regular pump gas like a 91 octane. I don’t know why pbethel seems to think it’s not true.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
never timed it but for missing half an engine its not bad...some days its got more zip than others. against my older ranger with the vulcan v6 (aka the 3.slow) the 5g feels like a rocket. I traded in my nearly 500 hp mustang to get the 5g so things still feel like slow mo. but i have a lot of fun with the truck. only miss the grins of the muscle car now and then.

Loweredon33s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Performance person
Yea, very true. The ranger can run full e85 with a tune but it runs out of injector before anything else. Most people increase injectors and a bigger fuel pump. My point was just the fact that e85 does burn faster than regular pump gas like a 91 octane. I don’t know why pbethel seems to think it’s not true.
How many Rangers have you actually seen that have bigger injectors?
Sponsored