Hill Descent Control and Speed Limiter

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
Does our (US) trail control not control your speed when you’re going downhill as well? A.k.a. effectively hill descent control?
If i understand what you're asking, that's what i was trying to say by mentioning
"It seems like the world model might have an angled vehicle (and HIll Descent engaged directly), but USA models have Traction Control (non-tilted vehicle) that goes both up and down."

Hopefully someone can confirm that hill descent control is automatically activated, when going downhill with trail control turned on.
Sponsored

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
I believe that yes it does control your speed whether you’re going up a hill or down a hill. In other words if you’ve got it set for 2 mph on up hills or level ground it’s not gonna freewheel on you when you start going down a hill. Referring to our US equipped trail control trucks.

paval3

First Name
Val
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Crewcab & 2003 Mountaineer Premier
I have a 2021 Ranger XLT 4x4. I've looked and I can't find any switch or button to activate any kind of hill descent control feature.

I travel a fairly long hill on my way to and from work. Up until today, when I reach the top of the hill, I was locking out 7th-10th gear while in D mode for going down hill. This morning, I took the descent without locking out any gears. I was in 6th gear at the top of the hill. To my amazement, it was like it was self regulating and never went out of 6th gear going down hill and required minimal braking (and that was only as I went into a curve). I neglected to notice if it did it on the way home today, but I'll try to be concious of it tomorrow when I go to work in the morning.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
If i understand what you're asking, that's what i was trying to say by mentioning
"It seems like the world model might have an angled vehicle (and HIll Descent engaged directly), but USA models have Traction Control (non-tilted vehicle) that goes both up and down."

Hopefully someone can confirm that hill descent control is automatically activated, when going downhill with trail control turned on.
In Trail Control, you can set the speed up to 20mph in 4H or up to 10mph in 4L. The TC will maintain the set speed through throttle control, transmission gear or ABS depending on the terrain. On a descent, you may hear the ABS system cycling.
Sponsored