JDCinVA

JDCinVA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2013 Ford Explorer, 1977 BMW R100/7
As mentioned in my first post, my suspicion is that the rubber piece adjacent to the latch on the rear of the seat back, meant to dampen the impact of the latch on the catch, is interfering with the engagement of the latch. Thinking about this last night, I wondered if it would engage better at a warmer temperature (when the rubber was more pliable). Thus far, I've only tried to latch it when the inside of the truck was at the outside ambient temperature (25-35 degrees F).

So, I tried to latch it after my 30 minute drive to work this morning, figuring the rubber might be closer to 70 degrees F at that point. While it took a couple tries, and still more force than it should... it latched.

I'm willing to bet that the TSB for this issue is simply shaving an eighth of an inch or so off of that rubber piece with a razor blade. I might try it myself, but I'm worried that messing with the latch in anyway might void any warranty or replacement of it if Ford decides to replace the whole thing to address the issue.
Sponsored

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
As mentioned in my first post, my suspicion is that the rubber piece adjacent to the latch on the rear of the seat back, meant to dampen the impact of the latch on the catch, is interfering with the engagement of the latch. Thinking about this last night, I wondered if it would engage better at a warmer temperature (when the rubber was more pliable). Thus far, I've only tried to latch it when the inside of the truck was at the outside ambient temperature (25-35 degrees F).

So, I tried to latch it after my 30 minute drive to work this morning, figuring the rubber might be closer to 70 degrees F at that point. While it took a couple tries, and still more force than it should... it latched.

I'm willing to bet that the TSB for this issue is simply shaving an eighth of an inch or so off of that rubber piece with a razor blade. I might try it myself, but I'm worried that messing with the latch in anyway might void any warranty or replacement of it if Ford decides to replace the whole thing to address the issue.
Good point. In a similar note...I had Linex sprayed on my F150 several years ago. The tailgate had a hard time latching in the cold weather because of the thickness of the Linex. I shaved some off and resolved it.

Bubbabiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Supercrew FX4
Good point. In a similar note...I had Linex sprayed on my F150 several years ago. The tailgate had a hard time latching in the cold weather because of the thickness of the Linex. I shaved some off and resolved it.
I had the same issue with my F150. Trimmed the rubber bump stops on each side for the clearance needed.

RangerDeej

First Name
DJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
So I was dealing with this same issue this morning. I planned to take a drill, and knock back the rubber, but didn't want to over do it, and cause another problem trying to fix one. I ended up using my razor blade and cutting about 6 horizontal lines in the 1/4" section where the hook meets the rubber. This seems to have weakened the rubber enough to allow the flex necessary for the latch to function, without removing any material. Its not perfect by any means, but will work until Ford figures this out.

OP
OP
JDCinVA

JDCinVA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2013 Ford Explorer, 1977 BMW R100/7
So I was dealing with this same issue this morning. I planned to take a drill, and knock back the rubber, but didn't want to over do it, and cause another problem trying to fix one. I ended up using my razor blade and cutting about 6 horizontal lines in the 1/4" section where the hook meets the rubber. This seems to have weakened the rubber enough to allow the flex necessary for the latch to function, without removing any material. Its not perfect by any means, but will work until Ford figures this out.
Sounds like it works, and you may have just written the first TSB for the 2019 Ford Ranger!

Rigwright

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Union Millwright (Retired)
Anyone else have this problem? The latch seems to function o.k. when I engage it with my finger when the seat back is pushed forward. However, I just get a metal on metal sound when I try to latch it back upright. There is a rubber piece next to the latch that seems like it's there to dampen the impact of the latch hitting the catch attached to the rear panel, but it seem like it's not giving way / flexing enough to let the latch spring around the catch. I've tried to slam it pretty hard and I just get a metal thud.
Don't be bashful. Give it a push like you mean it. It will latch.

Ranger207

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Toyota Tacoma
Has any tried to latch the rear seatback from the passenger's side? Anyone want to try driver's side versus passenger's side to compare?
On the Lariat FX4 that I test drove, it was easier to latch the rear seatback from the passenger side. Placing your hand on the seatback at the latch location and giving a firm shove will latch it every time. Yes, it takes way more force to latch it that one would typically expect.

Caliranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Anyone else have this problem? The latch seems to function o.k. when I engage it with my finger when the seat back is pushed forward. However, I just get a metal on metal sound when I try to latch it back upright. There is a rubber piece next to the latch that seems like it's there to dampen the impact of the latch hitting the catch attached to the rear panel, but it seem like it's not giving way / flexing enough to let the latch spring around the catch. I've tried to slam it pretty hard and I just get a metal thud.
I had the same issue, make sure your seatbelt buckle is not in the way and slam it hard from the driverside, poor design but it does lock back up. I figured I never really need to pull the back seat down so I can live with it.

PickleRick

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4 Fx4 Sport
My rear latch is useless no matter what side I put force on. Worst case I have two small children with car seats and it’s a total safety issue.

I’m going try and razor blade some slits as mentioned on other thread and report back.

uthunter

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-350 CC & 2019 Ranger Lariat Sport & 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac - SuperCharged
My rear latch is useless no matter what side I put force on. Worst case I have two small children with car seats and it’s a total safety issue.

I’m going try and razor blade some slits as mentioned on other thread and report back.
I fixed mine with washers behind the latch to move it forward; that way I didn't have to cut up my new truck.

David Ambrose

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Mine was unlatched and I didn't realize it until I got it home from the dealer. I can only assume Ford is delivering many of them unlatched to the dealers. I couldn't latch mine at all. It seemed like if I tried anymore force I'd break the rear window. I put two washers I had laying around in between the back of the latch and the wall on the upper bolt hole only which shimmed it out a fair amount and down slightly. It now latches with reasonable force.