SOLVED: Can't get the back of the rear seat to lock upright

Oregon Comrade

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Same problem here - I shoved it HARD and it won't latch. The seat latch mech works just fine when the seat is folded down, no problem there. I put some chalk on the cab mounted d-ring to see where it was hitting the latch mech on the seat, it was hitting the correct spot. It's bottoming out hard, I'm guessing against the rear of the cab or on the latch backplate. Can't exactly see it. Super annoying!

I think I'll just take it in to the dealer and let them figure it out.

Although it's not been a problem driving around, I'd expect it to be flopping and banging as I brake/accelerate but it stays put.
Sponsored

DaPyrate

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 96, Ranger 19 and Focus 07
I had the same issue. After the test drive I did another walk around and looked at the back seat. When I lowered the backrest down it would not go back in. Took about 5 minutes of playing with it but got it locked back in. Had to pull that strap up and give it a hard slam. I think I will try to use the washers if this continues

DHare

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat - Saber; 2020 Ford Edge - Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
My truck arrived today, so I "visited" it at the dealer to finalize our deal. Tested the seat back and no problems at all. It latched back up with minimal push.

OP
OP
JDCinVA

JDCinVA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2013 Ford Explorer, 1977 BMW R100/7
My Ranger was back at the dealer to get my spray-on bed liner installed, so I asked them to take a look at the back seat issue. When the service manager called me to let me know my truck was ready, she said the tech "called the hotline" about this back seat issue, and was directed to "remove the rubber that was interfering with the latch" or something along those lines.

I assumed it was the piece of rubber right next to the latch, as we've been discussing. However, when I looked at it when I picked up the truck, the rubber was still there, and I didn't notice that it was adjusted or trimmed. The back seat properly locked upright, however, so they did something.

While driving home, I noticed these in my cupholder:
Ranger rear seat rubber.jpg

I looked for where they may have come from, and saw these holes on the back of the rear seat:

Ranger back of rear seat.jpg

I hadn't noticed the rubber stops there prior to dropping it off. Not sure how those rubbers stops would have even fit there. What's also throwing me off is that there are four holes but I only have three stops in my cupholder. Can anyone confirm that these holes are where the stops came from? I'm just trying to confirm where these rubber stops came from and confirm what Ford's current recommended fix is.

LewisLegacy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Vehicle Showcase
I hadn't noticed the rubber stops there prior to dropping it off. Not sure how those rubbers stops would have even fit there. What's also throwing me off is that there are four holes but I only have three stops in my cupholder. Can anyone confirm that these holes are where the stops came from? I'm just trying to confirm where these rubber stops came from and confirm what Ford's current recommended fix is.
That is where they are located. I pointed them out to the dealer when I dropped mine off yesterday for this exact issue. Hoping they don't just remove them, because I assume they're installed to help prevent any rattling from the back seat in the latched position.

OP
OP
JDCinVA

JDCinVA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is where they are located. I pointed them out to the dealer when I dropped mine off yesterday for this exact issue. Hoping they don't just remove them, because I assume they're installed to help prevent any rattling from the back seat in the latched position.
Thanks for confirming. I concur with your hopes that Ford comes up with a more permanent solution, like maybe slightly shorter stops. The engineer in me has to assume the stops were there for a reason. In addition to the rattling, I assume the latch itself and the area on the back of the rear seat that the latch is attached to were not designed to sustain the full weight / pressure and torque that rear passengers would place on them.

ETA: For those wanting to try this fix for themselves, I wonder if just removing the inner two stops versus all four stops provides just enough "give" to allow the latch to work, while still providing some support to the seat back and preventing any rattle. In fact, I may try this myself tonight and re-install the two outer stops.

OP
OP
JDCinVA

JDCinVA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My truck arrived today, so I "visited" it at the dealer to finalize our deal. Tested the seat back and no problems at all. It latched back up with minimal push.
Did you notice if the rubber stops were still in place? I'm wondering if dealers are starting to remove them proactively to address this issue.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
Maybe those stops can be shortened a little by grinding them down. This might provide enough relief to allow closure without abandoning the stops all together.

Beef_Stew

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Here is the official write up by Ford released today :

Feb 6 2019 7729 - 2019 Ranger Super Crew - Folding Rear Seat Back Hard To Latch – Built On Or Before 30-Jan-2019

Some 2019 Ranger Super Crew vehicles built on or before 30-Jan-2019, may exhibit a hard to latch rear seatback to the upright (Normal) position. This may be due to 4 installed rubber bumpers in the seatback frame. To resolve the concern, remove the passenger inboard rubber bumper by the seatback latch. Verify proper operation, may need to adjust the latch after the removal of the 4th bumper. Vehicles built after 30-Jan-2019 will only have 3 bumpers installed, and small patch to cover the exposed hole in seatback cover material Use Flocked Tape (Fuzzy) 164-R4903. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 501-10B. The 4th Rubber bumper is no longer equipped due to a running change. The vehicle is not misbuilt. The addition of any parts would not be considered a warrantable repair.

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Here is the official write up by Ford released today :

Feb 6 2019 7729 - 2019 Ranger Super Crew - Folding Rear Seat Back Hard To Latch – Built On Or Before 30-Jan-2019

Some 2019 Ranger Super Crew vehicles built on or before 30-Jan-2019, may exhibit a hard to latch rear seatback to the upright (Normal) position. This may be due to 4 installed rubber bumpers in the seatback frame. To resolve the concern, remove the passenger inboard rubber bumper by the seatback latch. Verify proper operation, may need to adjust the latch after the removal of the 4th bumper. Vehicles built after 30-Jan-2019 will only have 3 bumpers installed, and small patch to cover the exposed hole in seatback cover material Use Flocked Tape (Fuzzy) 164-R4903. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 501-10B. The 4th Rubber bumper is no longer equipped due to a running change. The vehicle is not misbuilt. The addition of any parts would not be considered a warrantable repair.
Got a link or PDF?

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That's right off my dealer login so I cant link it and that's how ford posted it...just some text.
Thanks. I'll mark this problem solved.

OP
OP
JDCinVA

JDCinVA

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Now if we could just solve the mystery of the superfluous / non-functioning latch underneath the rear seat!

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Now if we could just solve the mystery of the superfluous / non-functioning latch underneath the rear seat!
Want to make another post so this new issue gets attention?