First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
The basics to towing is 80% of max towing for safety, so that's 6000lbs, and that's with the trailer having no brake system and also should the break system fail
Where do you get towing 6000 lbs without trailer brakes?? The manual clearly states Max Tow Without Trailer Brake 1650 lbs. Besides most state laws call for trailer brake over 3000 lbs.
Sponsored

Jerry Caldwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Architect
The Ford branded Redarc system DOESNOT tie into the ABS system in any way. It only ties into the CHMSL in order to sense braking events from the AEB and ACC systems. It doesn't sense braking force in any way from the ABS system.
It doesn’t need to since the Redarc system senses braking force Itself. It does know when any braking event occurs though, whether caused by ABS or adaptive cruise.

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
The Ford branded Redarc system DOESNOT tie into the ABS system in any way. It only ties into the CHMSL in order to sense braking events from the AEB and ACC systems. It doesn't sense braking force in any way from the ABS system.
He probably meant AEB and just wrote ABS

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
He probably meant AEB and just wrote ABS
I agree, my original post was referring to the part of the towing guide that was posted that did reference the ABS system. Two completely different systems. The ABS system doesn't cause a braking event just controls it.

SuperBford

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
education
Winnebego Micro Minnie... I have two different friends that own one of these... as usual there are different floor plans available.. I've been in both. Quality seems up there for the price. I think their weight is around 3500 dry weight.

We are a couple of years away from getting one....

aslusers

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Orange SuperCrew FX4 Trailer Tow 302A
Vehicle Showcase
I drove over 5,200 miles with our travel trailer now called "Treehouse" and noticed that the truck is optimally when I go 55 mph. I tried to keep the RPM under 2K and it seems to do better. I, also, use premium gas whenever I travel with the Treehouse. The MPG is much better whenever it is under 2K. Does anyone experience the same?

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
I drove over 5,200 miles with our travel trailer now called "Treehouse" and noticed that the truck is optimally when I go 55 mph. I tried to keep the RPM under 2K and it seems to do better. I, also, use premium gas whenever I travel with the Treehouse. The MPG is much better whenever it is under 2K. Does anyone experience the same?
Ford recommends using premium when towing and I think premium also bumps the horsepower from 270 to 300. Not sure how much torque changes, though

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Ford recommends using premium when towing and I think premium also bumps the horsepower from 270 to 300. Not sure how much torque changes, though
Its best to use premium fuel regardless in these trucks and unfortunately the truck has 270 at the crank when using premium fuel, not 300. Now if you get a tow tune then it will be different but that is another subject for another thread.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
Its best to use premium fuel regardless in these trucks and unfortunately the truck has 270 at the crank when using premium fuel, not 300. Now if you get a tow tune then it will be different but that is another subject for another thread.
I believe you are mistaken.

https://www.tfltruck.com/2019/01/20...power-numbers-on-93-octane-fuel-dyno-results/

Here is what Ford says: “The 2.3L Ranger engine is certified to achieve 270 horsepower and best-in-class 310 lb.-ft. of torque using 87-octane fuel. This octane is consistent with the rest of the Ford Truck lineup, with the exception of the performance high-output EcoBoost 3.5L in Raptor and F-150 Limited which achieves horsepower and torque ratings using 93-octane fuel. We list the maximum power ratings using the certified 87-octane, because that’s what our customers can expect to achieve when using the recommended fuel in accordance with their owner’s manual.”

PierreD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
AV Tech
This ^. People always like to add their own safety factors and knockdowns to any limit value. If that's a personal preference, then that's fine. I know I personally am not comfortable towing about 6000lbs with anything, at least not right now. But that's because of me as a person, not the truck. I'll assure you, along with @P. A. Schilke, that the rating of the truck is something it is safely meeting and doing. The amount of analysis and testing involved in a rating like this, especially nowadays, is immense and all encompassing. In reality, the truck is likely able to tow 1.25-1.5 times the rated weight. Don't do that, but it was at least analyzed, if not tested, to a higher load and passed.
The MAX towing rating of a vehicle has safety tolerance for sure. The Ranger's 7,500 max is probably over 8,000 in reality.
But this is done for a couple reasons:
Litigance and safety.
The fact is, most owners do not understand that MAX capacity for a vehicle INCLUDES driver, passengers, food, equipment, gas, options/contents added in the trailer, your dog etc etc etc Not just the RV matters.... This can quickly reach 1,000 pounds!
A 1,000 pound added "safety" head room for towing is for these things above the manufacturer's safety margin.
That manufacturer's safety margin is good for things unforeseen like a not so perfect install of the hitch, faded brakes, tires or failure of a component etc etc

You can probably get a brand new Ranger and tow a 8,500 pound RV with a passenger next to you and gear. But if you get in an accident, good luck. You are liable.
And that accident will be uglier because you exceeded all safety capacities from both the manufacturer and a common sense person adding the extra load head room......

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The MAX towing rating of a vehicle has safety tolerance for sure. The Ranger's 7,500 max is probably over 8,000 in reality.
But this is done for a couple reasons:
Litigance and safety.
The fact is, most owners do not understand that MAX capacity for a vehicle INCLUDES driver, passengers, food, equipment, gas, options/contents added in the trailer, your dog etc etc etc Not just the RV matters.... This can quickly reach 1,000 pounds!
A 1,000 pound added "safety" head room for towing is for these things above the manufacturer's safety margin.
That manufacturer's safety margin is good for things unforeseen like a not so perfect install of the hitch, faded brakes, tires or failure of a component etc etc

You can probably get a brand new Ranger and tow a 8,500 pound RV with a passenger next to you and gear. But if you get in an accident, good luck. You are liable.
And that accident will be uglier because you exceeded all safety capacities from both the manufacturer and a common sense person adding the extra load head room......
Hi Pierre,

You are correct that we test to values above the recommended, but caution you to state exact values as they are only your speculation. Forum members, the Ford Ranger Max is 7500lbs...

You are correct that folks have no clue how much stuff including themselves into a truck and attach a trailer, fill the trailer with goodies, food and the required Case of Beer and are well beyond GCW and probably trailer GVW.

I have neighbors that bought and towed trailers that I thought was overloaded based on the trailer manufacturer's stated GVW. There is a trailer axle vendor, Lipppert that offers an array of axles. Some manufactures offer the cheapest Lippert axle that they think that the can get away with offering.... This is where your truck stop scale is your friend to weigh your trailer, your vehicle and trailer so you know where you are vs the GVW and GCW. Guessing is a recipe for trouble.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co.

OP
OP

LarryJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ranger, 1997 BMW Z3, 2010 VW Tiguan
Hi It's Larry. Im the one who started this thread so I thought I should give you an update. We have been doing a lot of research. And thanks for all the great information that has been shared. Very helpful. We kind of fell in love with the Micro Minnie concept liking the construction, the 7ft width for towing, and the prewired solar. Then we saw the bunkhouse capability and were excited about the potential to load our bikes in that area (Will have to check with Winnebago?) as well as the additional sleeping for grandkids. We thought maybe the 22ft (2100BH). Then (you know how it goes) we saw the 2306 BHS which had that plus a murphy bed so a nice sitting area as well. But it is huge! 25' 5" long and weighs 4560 with freshwater, water heater, full LP - just no cargo. That has a 7,000 GVWR. We love the look, but think it is too much trailer for us to pull. So I thought we might discuss with Winnebago if the hatch really would allow for bike loading and if there was any way the 22 footer should as an option have a murphy bed. (Probably shows how naive I am) So that is where we are at. Love the bigger trailer but just concerned it is too big a rig. The 22 ft is likely to be plenty to tow. What do you guys think? I know there is a related thread discussing an over 30' trailer that has drawn mixed reviews but I'm wondering as nice as it is, if this isn't a bridge too far for us. Thats the update and thanks for your thoughts.
Sponsored