Small RV Recommendation

Nellieg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger crew cab
It states it needs brakes, not a TBC. 2 different things entirely.
If you change your mind later and upgrade your trailer you will definitely require a TBC. For an ultralightweight trailer (<1500lbs) you'd be fine without it, but honestly if you ever decide that you need to tow anything else- it's likely heavier and you're better off with it than with out it- If you're looking at spending 20-30k on a trailer, 500 on a brake controller is a small thing.
Sponsored

Deleted member 1634

This comment has me curious since Im on the fence about a TBC.

Most states require brakes on trailer with a dry weight over 3000lbs. Thats just brakes on the trailer though, nothing to do with the TBC. The brakes can be surge brakes.

Talking to my local truck shop and friends with campers, none of them seem to think a TBC is necessary for the smaller type of camper Im looking at.
Now you're just opening up the can of worms on yourself, especially on this forum. haha

I would agree that the law, at least in Minnesota, does not state a requirement for a brake controller, only for brakes. It states that some manufacturers may require a brake controller, but that the state does not.

1600346916239.png

I personally got brakes on our 2200lb (gross) camper, just because we were originally towing it with a smaller Subaru and I wanted more control. And they're just nice to have, though I don't feel they are required. But that is my own personal preference. If you feel comfortable towing up to 3000lbs without brakes, then you're free to do so.

Deleted member 1634

If you change your mind later and upgrade your trailer you will definitely require a TBC. For an ultralightweight trailer (<1500lbs) you'd be fine without it, but honestly if you ever decide that you need to tow anything else- it's likely heavier and you're better off with it than with out it- If you're looking at spending 20-30k on a trailer, 500 on a brake controller is a small thing.
There are other brake controllers out there that aren't installed on the vehicle. We have one that is installed and integrated into the trailer, not the truck, and it works great and the same as any other controller. That's my preferred method, that way any vehicle can tow my trailer and have the brakes work correctly. In the end, it's just nice that there are different options out there for different folks.

Bluestem

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger
I'll throw my 2 cents in here as well as I haven't seen anyone mention small fiberglass travel trailers. We have a 1986 17 foot Burro trailer. If I was shopping for a new small trailer I would look at Oliver, Bigfoot, Casita, or Escape. They are all light and have the technology options as any other travel trailer.

They might be a bit more pricey but the build quality is second to none and the resale value of these trailers is outstanding if you ever decide to sell. We could easily sell our 34 year old trailer for twice what we paid 10 years ago. You don't get slideouts but they are well thought out designs and you won't worry about leaks or thing falling apart in 2 or 3 years.

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Emissions testing supplier
Now you're just opening up the can of worms on yourself, especially on this forum. haha

I would agree that the law, at least in Minnesota, does not state a requirement for a brake controller, only for brakes. It states that some manufacturers may require a brake controller, but that the state does not.

1600346916239.png

I personally got brakes on our 2200lb (gross) camper, just because we were originally towing it with a smaller Subaru and I wanted more control. And they're just nice to have, though I don't feel they are required. But that is my own personal preference. If you feel comfortable towing up to 3000lbs without brakes, then you're free to do so.

My point is more, brakes are required over 3000lb but those can be surge brakes which obviously don't use a TBC.

I would feel more than comfortable towing 5000lb with surge brakes.

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Emissions testing supplier

Thats where Im on the fence. If I go with a used trailer from the mid 2000's, most of the ones Im looking at have surge brakes and come in at around 3000lbs. I wouldn't put the cost into converting those to electronic and Id be more than comfortable towing them.

Hence the comment that its not required to have a TBC and that's also not what the manual is stating.

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up

Most states require brakes on trailer with a dry weight over 3000lbs. Thats just brakes on the trailer though, nothing to do with the TBC. The brakes can be surge brakes.

Talking to my local truck shop and friends with campers, none of them seem to think a TBC is necessary for the smaller type of camper Im looking at.
You're right. Just poorly worded comment. I just meant some type trailer brakes in general would be required. Could be a TBC, surge, etc.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer

I think you will find most campers heavy enough to require brakes will have electric brakes. These require a controller whether it is wired in the truck or wireless. Unless you plan on retrofitting surge brakes

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
If installing a brake controller is a big deal then you could make do with a Curt Echo like I am. It's a tube-shaped device that fits into the 7-way. Works very well but with a couple of things to consider:
  • It calibrates each time a trailer is hooked up, so if you are hooking up in a steep driveway for example, then you'll want to unplug it and plug it back in once you're out on level ground.
  • It won't control brakes while your 4-ways/harzards are on (some places require you to use 4-ways in certain situations).
  • It technically works without a smartphone once it's been setup, but you'll want to keep your smartphone connected to it via bluetooth during travel in order to be able to manually activate the brakes if-needed.
I don't know how much money you actually end up saving with an Echo vs getting the Ford controller installed. I only went the Echo route as I already owned it before getting my Ranger.

SandBaja

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver FX4, 501A pkg, fully optioned,2012 Rubicon, 2017 Cherokee, 2018 Volt
Occupation
Almost retired
It states it needs brakes, not a TBC. 2 different things entirely.
Thanks for the correction! I have much to learn and am glad I'm not moving quickly. I went back and looked at the 2019 Ranger manual and the Ford tow guide searching for TBC and trailer towing. Sharing the snippets for information.

tbc1.jpg

tbc2.jpg

tbc3.jpg

Lonewolf

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crewcab FX4
Occupation
Chemist
We have a Hybrid camper that works great for us. It is a Shamrock 21DK (same as a Rockwood ROO) . As you can see from pic it has a large slideout (Kitchen). 2 Queen size beds on each side and a U dinette that makes a full size bed and a bathroom with small tub/shower. Dry weight is 4350#. Probably close to 4800# loaded with gear. I have no issues pulling this. I just pulled it 500 miles down the interstate at 70 mph over labor day weekend. I was getting 12-13 mpg. I get 14-15 mpg at 60mph on state roads. It is Indiana...so relatively flat. I have a E2 Weight distribution hitch, which works great. On top of that i usually have bed full with 2 kayaks and 2 adults in the cab. Not sure i would like anything bigger than this for long hauls. I has seen what other are pulling and not sure I would push the weight of a camper over 6000 lbs, but that is me. Also, I have the Ford authorized Brake controller. One of the issues with a bigger camper can be the front wind resistance with the higher weight.

CAMPER.jpg

Return Ranger

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat Fx4 Rapid Red
We've (I have) been looking at these a lot. Here's a couple that I really like:

KZ Spree Escape
Coachment Apex Nano
R-Pod (As others mentioned)

One thing we have found in travels that we really prefer is to have a primary bed that's separate from the dinette. Many have a dinette in the slide, which is probably a good setup. We don't use the dinette much for eating, because we tend to set up camp for a week at a time and eat outside, but having a spot inside to sit and have coffee or play cards is nice.

For the brake controller, I've purchased an Echo, but haven't used it yet (haven't towed with my Ranger yet). I'm thinking about returning it and getting the Ford one installed, but I'm on the fence.

Good luck.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV

KZ Spree Escape
Coachment Apex Nano

One thing we have found in travels that we really prefer is to have a primary bed that's separate from the dinette. Many have a dinette in the slide, which is probably a good setup. We don't use the dinette much for eating, because we tend to set up camp for a week at a time and eat outside, but having a spot inside to sit and have coffee or play cards is nice.

For the brake controller, I've purchased an Echo, but haven't used it yet (haven't towed with my Ranger yet). I'm thinking about returning it and getting the Ford one installed, but I'm on the fence.

Good luck.
I don’t know anything about KZ or R-Pod, but the Azdel walls in the Coachmen are a strong selling point to me. Every RV at this price level will leak water at some point. Azdel is waterproof, so any leaks are less disastrous than with the more common luan plywood backing.

Edit: I see that the R-Pod also uses Azdel. That’s a good thing.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer

KZ Spree Escape
Coachment Apex Nano

Good luck.
Camper one.jpg

I'm pulling an R-POD 191 and we love it. Just the right size for the two of us. They make a number of floor plans some even a little bigger than ours. I'm using a Husky Centerline hitch with sway control and the Ranger pulls it great. I agree with the others on staying below 6000 lb GTW, 5000 is even better. Lots of options out there, so find one you like.

As far as trailer brakes I would go with the Ford controller so I would have the AEB and ACC tie in. I know a lot of people are using the Echo with no problems. I personally am a bit leery of what electrical programing they are using to control the brake based on the trailer brake lights. I also like having a hard wire button to manually apply the breaks if needed. Seen to many bluetooth connection issues to trust. JMHO. FYI, I have the Redarc controller I installed before Ford got their act together and it works very well.

aslusers

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Orange SuperCrew FX4 Trailer Tow 302A
Vehicle Showcase
How do these hitches differ from the ones that came originally as part of the standard tow package? Do you recommend a Ford install or the trailer dealership install? What is the approximate cost? Thanks
Ford dealership install it on my truck. I would encourage you to check out www.intechrv.com and they make wonderful travel trailers. I love their wet bathroom. So huge. Depends on the model you select of Sol travel trailer. The bathroom for the three models is same. The largest one (Horizon) has a kitchen outside which is a deal-breaker for us. Its weights at #3500.
tempImagenTxp3z.png

tempImagedmVHCs.png
Sponsored