Small RV Recommendation

OP
OP

LarryJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ranger, 1997 BMW Z3, 2010 VW Tiguan
Thanks to everyone who has provided such great information on my small RV questions. There are plenty of options and therefore a good potential for confusion. I’m thankful for the additional comments on towing as this would largely be new to me. Dare I raise two more questions? Seems like a trailer breaking system would be in order. If so seems like that should be a Ford installation and hopefully fully integrate with the sophisticated standard system? I’m also interested in solar for the RV. Are any of the models/brands better at integrating? Thanks everyone.
Sponsored

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
Thanks to everyone who has provided such great information on my small RV questions. There are plenty of options and therefore a good potential for confusion. I’m thankful for the additional comments on towing as this would largely be new to me. Dare I raise two more questions? Seems like a trailer breaking system would be in order. If so seems like that should be a Ford installation and hopefully fully integrate with the sophisticated standard system? I’m also interested in solar for the RV. Are any of the models/brands better at integrating? Thanks everyone.
Check your state laws but a TBC is most likely going to be required for anything over 1,500lbs. Even if it isn't required by law you're going to need one. The official Ford option is going to be the best bet. The normal Redarc works great but the Automatic emergency braking isn't able to active it.

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
Seems like a trailer breaking system would be in order. If so seems like that should be a Ford installation and hopefully fully integrate with the sophisticated standard system?
Yes. It's not actually that integrated or anything, but Ford's RedArc kit has extra parts to properly monitor the brake light instead of the brake pedal to detect braking, order to maintain compatibility with automatic braking systems.

VoodooRanger

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I wish I had the space to park an RV. I really like the Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB. Sleeps three(when you break down the dinette), has a GVWR of 5,000lbs., and is just shy of 19 feet. The Explorer package is also nice if I want to go off the beaten path.

Deleted member 1634

Check your state laws but a TBC is most likely going to be required for anything over 1,500lbs. Even if it isn't required by law you're going to need one. The official Ford option is going to be the best bet. The normal Redarc works great but the Automatic emergency braking isn't able to active it.
Yes. It's not actually that integrated or anything, but Ford's RedArc kit has extra parts to properly monitor the brake light instead of the brake pedal to detect braking, order to maintain compatibility with automatic braking systems.
There's also a handful of wireless brake controllers out there that are activated by brake lights and not the pedal, like the one wired into our camper. Not saying they're better or worse, just that they're out there.

As with anything else, there is pretty much an option out there for any specific and unique thing you'd like. If you do enough research, you can find it.

I’m also interested in solar for the RV. Are any of the models/brands better at integrating? Thanks everyone.
A lot of campers nowadays have standard solar ports already wired in, so you could just connect a solar panel/system yourself. Something to make sure of though because I'm not sure every one does. And there are also quite a few brands which come with solar panels installed, either on the roof or elsewhere. This is where your local dealer will fail you since the solar heavy campers are usually more special and unique, and not so mass produced.

Here's a fairly comprehensive list of different camper manufacturers: https://smalltrailerenthusiast.com/manufacturers-2/

MSearles

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat
There's also a handful of wireless brake controllers out there that are activated by brake lights and not the pedal, like the one wired into our camper. Not saying they're better or worse, just that they're out there.

As with anything else, there is pretty much an option out there for any specific and unique thing you'd like. If you do enough research, you can find it.

A lot of campers nowadays have standard solar ports already wired in, so you could just connect a solar panel/system yourself. Something to make sure of though because I'm not sure every one does. And there are also quite a few brands which come with solar panels installed, either on the roof or elsewhere. This is where your local dealer will fail you since the solar heavy campers are usually more special and unique, and not so mass produced.

Here's a fairly comprehensive list of different camper manufacturers: https://smalltrailerenthusiast.com/manufacturers-2/
I am towing a small-ish RV with my Ranger, a Crossroads Sunset Trail 222RB. So it's a 22 foot living space for just my wife and me. We spent 3 years researching and going to RV shows before we settled on this trailer. Find RV shows and start looking. Take note of what you like and don't like. I agree with an earlier post that you should keep your dry weight (trailer alone, no water, propane or battery) under 5,000 lbs. There are a ton of options out there! Once you look at a bunch, narrow it down by 3 categories: Gotta Have, Nice to Have, Don't Want. Now you can start whittling down the choices to a few. Once you find it (and it's in your price range) go for it! As for the truck, I got the Dealer-installed TBC. That way it doesn't affect warranty or the way the electronics of the truck work. And you absolutely should get a weight distributing/anti-sway hitch. The TBC and hitch makes the ride a lot less stressful. I had never towed anything before we got this trailer.

Tjmack503

First Name
Tj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Think Ive grown weary of COVID. We’re thinking of acquiring a small RV to tow behind our 2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab. It would be primarily for my wife and I and at a minimum need to have at least a “wet bath”. We’ve begun to think that it would be fun to get away some weekends to state parks or national forests in the Midwest (we live in Milwaukee). Might also want to take it for some extended traveling out to Portland OR to see our kids. Guess if it could occasionally accommodate a couple of grandkids that could be a real bonus as well. Never towed anything other than rented utility trailers for moving or shuffling equipment. Just wondering what forum members may be using and if there were any recommendations or suggestions for things I should be investigating. Thanks in advance
Look at the Forest River Wolf Pup 18to. Has a full slide out. Under 4K dry weight.

SandBaja

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver FX4, 501A pkg, fully optioned,2012 Rubicon, 2017 Cherokee, 2018 Volt
Occupation
Almost retired
The Ford Ranger towing guide states anything over 1650# requires TBC. On Solar: Several manufacturers offer this as an option but you will need to consider a few things.
  • Type, weight and quantity of batteries. Standard lead acid have limited ability to use stored energy (you may get 50-60% of rated charge) and LiPo batteries carry close to 100% of available storage. Batteries weigh a lot and are "additional" weight if adding one or more. Look also at the inverter size. A 1500W inverter will not handle a kuerig that draws 1800W. Most small trailers I've looked at only have a 1000w inverter.
  • Refrigeration: 12V or 120/LP- research, solar may not be the best solution. I'm a big proponent of solar in homes. My place in Baja (offgrid) has run off Solar for 20 years and stateside house for 7 years. That said, I'm not 100% convinced that I'll get what I need with 2 batteries and 2 panels. Sometimes you don't know until you do it.
  • Solar adds weight also.
  • Go to a site like lance trailers that lists the weight of the options to get a better idea
  • Rpods mentioned here are one of the trailers I'm considering (Lance also but they are pricy)

max tow.jpg

Nellieg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger crew cab
Everyone has advice on what to buy... Or not to buy... Used you count in depreciation ... New you dont buy someone elses black water tanks... The issue isnt so much what to buy but more how much or what you need for your own purposes. I am a life long tent camper converted to an rv... I went with a tab320 originally... Lasted 2y then traded it in for a small company 16ft trailer .. Sun lite trailer by sunset park rv. We are discussing the next step.... If you havent done alot of camping... You might want to rent an rv first before you drop some change on a big purchase. Tabs are a quality product. Rpods and winnies have a large fan base.. Then airstreams have their own following... Spend based on usage and cash availability and enjoy...rvs are a money sink... But better than sleeping on a mat in a musty tent. On lumpy ground. Enjoy and check the owners forums and irv forum to understand your problem base.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Although we do not plan to buy an RV / travel trailer for at least a year, I have been looking, reading posts and trying to decide which models to look at. I agree on being under 5000 lbs, does anyone know of or own a travel trailer under 5000 pounds that still has a slide out? Most of the times I see tandem axles that coincide with a slide out. I am trying to balance in my mind the weight, width, length & comfort at the camp and towing characteristics and costs. If I go with a single axle trailer and the road wind whips it back and forth constantly that would get old fast so I am leaning towards a tandem axle, i just need to find a set up that's comfortable.

Does anyone know of a search engine (that actually works) for travel trailers? I found a few sites that sort of work but not well. If i want a truck or car I can search tons of ways and narrow it down fast but for travel trailers i have found that IF the dealer has a good web design you can search their inventory only, it would be nice to be able to select axles, slide out, bathroom, sleeps x # etc and then narrow it down faster via links to different sites & models.

Deleted member 1634

Although we do not plan to buy an RV / travel trailer for at least a year, I have been looking, reading posts and trying to decide which models to look at. I agree on being under 5000 lbs, does anyone know of or own a travel trailer under 5000 pounds that still has a slide out? Most of the times I see tandem axles that coincide with a slide out. I am trying to balance in my mind the weight, width, length & comfort at the camp and towing characteristics and costs. If I go with a single axle trailer and the road wind whips it back and forth constantly that would get old fast so I am leaning towards a tandem axle, i just need to find a set up that's comfortable.

Does anyone know of a search engine (that actually works) for travel trailers? I found a few sites that sort of work but not well. If i want a truck or car I can search tons of ways and narrow it down fast but for travel trailers i have found that IF the dealer has a good web design you can search their inventory only, it would be nice to be able to select axles, slide out, bathroom, sleeps x # etc and then narrow it down faster via links to different sites & models.
I'll say that there are quite a few "smaller" campers (under 5000lbs) that include slide-outs. The R-Pod is a good example of this. They have ones as low as ~3000lbs with slideouts. Single axle though. I'm sure there are a handful out there that are double axle though. And in general you can get quite a bit of comfort and utility out of something under 5000lbs.

Happy searching!

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Emissions testing supplier
This comment has me curious since Im on the fence about a TBC.

Most states require brakes on trailer with a dry weight over 3000lbs. Thats just brakes on the trailer though, nothing to do with the TBC. The brakes can be surge brakes.

Talking to my local truck shop and friends with campers, none of them seem to think a TBC is necessary for the smaller type of camper Im looking at.

OP
OP

LarryJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ranger, 1997 BMW Z3, 2010 VW Tiguan
It states it needs brakes, not a TBC. 2 different things entirely.
I’m learning here as well. So surge brakes are integral to the trailer and are activated simply by the trucks braking action? Do they integrate with the emergency braking system any better or worse than an electronic brake controller? I think I may have been told that surge brakes are the typical installation on boat trailers? Thx
Sponsored