First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Thanks for the correction! I have much to learn and am glad I'm not moving quickly. I went back and looked at the 2019 Ranger manual and the Ford tow guide searching for TBC and trailer towing. Sharing the snippets for information.

tbc1.jpg
Be careful with the information in the towing guide. The Rangers brake controller has no tie in to the trucks ABS system. It applies braking proportionately to the trucks deceleration based on sensors in the controller and the bias setting of the controller. The comments relating to the ABS system are for the controller for the larger F-series trucks, which is much integrated than the Ranger controller.
Sponsored

PierreD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
AV Tech
There are so many things to consider when buying an RV. Weight is critical of course and you should always have a head room of 1000 pounds of the max towing capacity of the vehicle period. So a properly equipped 2019+ Ranger is 6,500 lbs as the heaviest trailer to look at.
The most important considerations to me are (in order):
Make/Azdel/FloorPlan/Options
There are just a few manufacturers of RVs around (~8). But a lot of Makes (dozens actually).
You can find an exact copy of a floorplan spread amongst 14 different Makes. They are not built to the same standards, or with same materials etc
WE can debate as to who is a good make or not forever, but I have noticed that the most reputable ones have Azdel wall construction (Lance, Coachmen, Winnebago, Forestriver etc).
https://gotraveltrailers.com/which-travel-trailers-use-azdel/
Then comes the floorplan. With grand kids, bunk beds to me are a must unless you don't mind making a bed out of a dinette/couch every single day.... A tiny bath is a pain. Do you need a wall separating the main bedroom to the rest of the RV? When it rains, not having the option of going outside really shows how important a comfortable floorplan is!
Cost ultimately will decide the trailer you get. But from experience, go with the biggest one you can afford. I got a hybrid trailer and within 2 years sold it at a big loss to get a more pleasant RV. Here are two choices, but there are many more out there...

https://coachmenrv.com/travel-trailers/apex-nano/191RBS/1595

https://coachmenrv.com/travel-trailers/freedom-express-ultra-lite/257BHS/369

Deleted member 1634

There are just a few manufacturers of RVs around (~8). But a lot of Makes (dozens actually).
I think that's the misconception I've been trying to get everyone past. You're correct that there are about 8 (or whatever similar small number) of manufacturers of the common RV dealer type campers out there. And someone is fine to go that route if they wish. But there are actually many other manufacturers out there that aren't the common ones you'll find at your local dealer. At least our huge local dealer.

If you're looking for something special, unique, specific, and different than the thousands of campers you see everyday, the internet is your friend. Even just a walk around at a campground will usually show at least a few unique and different campers. At least for us, we always see at least one we've never seen before when walking the dogs around the loop(s).

OP may just want a normal everyday common camper, which is fine and meets their needs. But I just want to put that out there for anyone looking at this thread later for recommendations or ideas.

Phrosty

First Name
Phrosty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Fx4 2020
Occupation
Security
This is all good advice. Keep in mind the 7500 pound MAXIMUM tow rating of your Ranger assumes a proper hitch setup and includes the trailer, gear, water, etc. I would shoot for a 5000, or so, max trailer weight. By the time you get it weekend ready it will be much more than that. You can get a very nice rig in that weight range without pushing things to the maximum.
Edit: Never believe a trailer salesman when it comes to the towing prowess of your Ranger. Never. He needs to sell an RV and doesn't care how safe you will be going down the road.
The basics to towing is 80% of max towing for safety, so that's 6000lbs, and that's with the trailer having no brake system and also should the break system fail

Adventure Ranger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariate Crew Cab FX4 Sport
Occupation
Heavy Equipment / Truck shop Foreman
Vehicle Showcase
We just bought a 2020 KZ Escape-Mini. 2850Lbs. I can see past it with my factory mirrors. We did a TON of research, wife had her wish list, I had my Technical list for towability. Its basically a couples coach for the 2 of us, can accommodate another adult or 2 smaller kids on the dinette if required.
IMG_1707.jpg

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The basics to towing is 80% of max towing for safety, so that's 6000lbs, and that's with the trailer having no brake system and also should the break system fail
Hi PH,

Not familiar with this 80% basic. Ford tests at the max trailer rating and usually a bit over that to verify suitability and ensure design parameters have been met or exceeded.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Deleted member 1634

We just bought a 2020 KZ Escape-Mini. 2850Lbs. I can see past it with my factory mirrors. We did a TON of research, wife had her wish list, I had my Technical list for towability. Its basically a couples coach for the 2 of us, can accommodate another adult or 2 smaller kids on the dinette if required.
IMG_1707.jpg
The sticker set on your truck is something I've always liked (if done right) but am too afraid to do. haha It's such a commitment to a certain type of image. I'm all for that image though. It's almost like me and tattoos. I have nothing against tattoos, but I don't have one because there's nothing I can commit to having on my body for my life. haha

Adventure Ranger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariate Crew Cab FX4 Sport
Occupation
Heavy Equipment / Truck shop Foreman
Vehicle Showcase
The sticker set on your truck is something I've always liked (if done right) but am too afraid to do. haha It's such a commitment to a certain type of image. I'm all for that image though. It's almost like me and tattoos. I have nothing against tattoos, but I don't have one because there's nothing I can commit to having on my body for my life. haha
THANKS !
I had those graphics in my head for months before my Ranger finally arrived. Gave a sketch to the stripe shop I dealt with and their graphic artist brought it to life for me. Turned out really good - and I get lots of compliments on it. As for tattoo's = I have many.

Deleted member 1634

Hi PH,

Not familiar with this 80% basic. Ford tests at the max trailer rating and usually a bit over that to verify suitability and ensure design parameters have been met or exceeded.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
This ^. People always like to add their own safety factors and knockdowns to any limit value. If that's a personal preference, then that's fine. I know I personally am not comfortable towing about 6000lbs with anything, at least not right now. But that's because of me as a person, not the truck. I'll assure you, along with @P. A. Schilke, that the rating of the truck is something it is safely meeting and doing. The amount of analysis and testing involved in a rating like this, especially nowadays, is immense and all encompassing. In reality, the truck is likely able to tow 1.25-1.5 times the rated weight. Don't do that, but it was at least analyzed, if not tested, to a higher load and passed.

Jerry Caldwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Architect
Be careful with the information in the towing guide. The Rangers brake controller has no tie in to the trucks ABS system. It applies braking proportionately to the trucks deceleration based on sensors in the controller and the bias setting of the controller. The comments relating to the ABS system are for the controller for the larger F-series trucks, which is much integrated than the Ranger controller.
What you stated here is not correct. The Ford Branded Redarc brake controller DOES link to ABS and the Adaptive Cruise system. it connects to the center rear brake light so it activates the trailer brakes any time any braking event occurs. This is what I have on my truck and it works very well while towing our 3500 pound RV.

Ace Holliday

First Name
Scott K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Super Crew
Occupation
Aerospace Machinist/CNC Programmer - Retired
I have never heard this. But the truck is rated for 7500 pounds total as a maximum. If you are comfortable at 6000 pounds you are within the stated parameters. I am not comfortable towing that much.

Jerry Caldwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Architect
There are so many things to consider when buying an RV. Weight is critical of course and you should always have a head room of 1000 pounds of the max towing capacity of the vehicle period. So a properly equipped 2019+ Ranger is 6,500 lbs as the heaviest trailer to look at.
The most important considerations to me are (in order):
Make/Azdel/FloorPlan/Options
You can find an exact copy of a floorplan spread amongst 14 different Makes. They are not built to the same standards, or with same materials etc
WE can debate as to who is a good make or not forever, but I have noticed that the most reputable ones have Azdel wall construction (Lance, Coachmen, Winnebago, Forestriver etc).
https://gotraveltrailers.com/which-travel-trailers-use-azdel/
Then comes the floorplan. With grand kids, bunk beds to me are a must unless you don't mind making a bed out of a dinette/couch every single day.... A tiny bath is a pain. Do you need a wall separating the main bedroom to the rest of the RV? When it rains, not having the option of going outside really shows how important a comfortable floorplan is!
Cost ultimately will decide the trailer you get. But from experience, go with the biggest one you can afford. I got a hybrid trailer and within 2 years sold it at a big loss to get a more pleasant RV. Here are two choices, but there are many more out there...

https://coachmenrv.com/travel-trailers/apex-nano/191RBS/1595

https://coachmenrv.com/travel-trailers/freedom-express-ultra-lite/257BHS/369
NuCamp also uses Azdel for the side walls and the floor in their T@B line.

Gafi26

First Name
Galvir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ranger xlt sports 2020
Occupation
Auto mechanic
I will also add that even at 5,500 lbs these trucks do pretty well with towing. Here is my truck doing such with the Old Man EMU lift.

0803201851.jpg
How is the performance when you use the towing we have thesame ranger 2020 xlt 4x4 sport

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
How is the performance when you use the towing we have thesame ranger 2020 xlt 4x4 sport
It did just fine. Yes I noticed the weight because how do you not notice 5500 lb of additional weight added to your light truck. I put it in tow mode with the Press of a button and went on my way and it did just fine. I did have the helpful benefit of the totem from livernois's at it so I had a little bit more I can't say how much performance got at it though because I never told anything for having the June added and having a lift kit installed either.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
What you stated here is not correct. The Ford Branded Redarc brake controller DOES link to ABS and the Adaptive Cruise system. it connects to the center rear brake light so it activates the trailer brakes any time any braking event occurs. This is what I have on my truck and it works very well while towing our 3500 pound RV.
The Ford branded Redarc system DOESNOT tie into the ABS system in any way. It only ties into the CHMSL in order to sense braking events from the AEB and ACC systems. It doesn't sense braking force in any way from the ABS system.
Sponsored