Slip on mirrors

RangerAJS

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT FX4, black out package, 302a, technology.
Occupation
Problem Solver
Has anyone seen or know of a slip on mirror that will for our Rangers? Seems like every other truck has one online, just not ours ? I bet there’s one that could be used from another but any ideas? How about in Australia? I’m willing to go to the other side of the world to find a good solution. I did see the thread on the bolt on option, but if it takes out BLIS, I’m not in. Easy on, easy off slip on would be awesome!
Any ideas? Something like in the picture.
681BA835-5051-419B-A1BC-6AA8882AE7E0.png
Sponsored

JonB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
I've tried a couple slip on mirrors from Amazon. They were more "slip" than "on" due to the tapered shape of the mirrors. I returned them. I'm waiting for the aftermarket to come up with a working towing mirror. Anyone know of any?

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
It's almost like Ford should have told people that this truck was good for towing... Maybe the aftermarket would have stepped up and built something that doesn't have rubber bands holding it on.

Kataphrakt

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT FX4 Offroad
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer - Mirrors
it's come up over and over again about how the side mirrors on the ranger are not great for towing. I would think that if Ford had tried to they could have really sold the ranger as a good towing truck by also offering trailer-tow mirrors from the factory.

I'm starting to think i should compile all these threads into a powerpoint and send it off to our guys quoting programs for Ford to push for trailer-tow mirror options ?

OP
OP
RangerAJS

RangerAJS

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT FX4, black out package, 302a, technology.
Occupation
Problem Solver
They’ve got the awesome slide out option OUS, so it should be that hard to adapt. There’s already a thread on that one. But you loose BLIS. And folding ability.
an aftermarket slip on solution is what I’m after.

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase

JimRn

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Registered Nurse
I've towed several times with these since my first post and they've worked great. They just dont LOOK great.

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
I, too, am trying to find something that fits over the OEM mirror. It looks like the Australian WildTrak and Raptor have the same style of mirrors as my Lariat does. Trying to track down a towing mirror for the Aussie truck now..

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Yeah Ford dropped the ball on the trailer brake controller, why would they think about towing mirrors? Even in Australia it took aftermarket companies. In the US the aftermarket companies make them for the Taco and the Colorado/Canyon but show no interest in the Ranger, even when asked. They say there's no market. WTF

I currently use the Milenco MIL-2912 Grand Areo 3 towing mirror. They clamp on instead of using straps. Just finished a 4700 mile trip across country, 70 mph on highway, no problems. About $110/pair on Amazon.
8105FYffG9L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Yeah Ford dropped the ball on the trailer brake controller, why would they think about towing mirrors? Even in Australia it took aftermarket companies. In the US the aftermarket companies make them for the Taco and the Colorado/Canyon but show no interest in the Ranger, even when asked. They say there's no market. WTF

I currently use the Milenco MIL-2912 Grand Areo 3 towing mirror. They clamp on instead of using straps. Just finished a 4700 mile trip across country, 70 mph on highway, no problems. About $110/pair on Amazon.
8105FYffG9L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
I use a set with straps and they are very annoying to setup each time. I am looking at replacing them with something like the ones you linked.

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL
Occupation
Coder
I have a pair of mirrors with straps. I found them a pain to use, and they weren't much of an improvement over the convex insets on the factory mirrors. Those are more than adequate for towing an 8' wide trailer.

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
I got the Milenco MIL-4381 Falcon towing mirrors over the weekend. HUGE improvement over the set with straps that I was using previously. Much easier to install and remove, and easier to adjust once installed. Major points for how far out from the vehicle I can position them, allowing me to see the rear corners of my trailer and other vehicles behind me.

1626107249018.png

I have found 2 annoyances with them, though. One is that there aren't separate knobs to loosen the clamps from the bar they are on and to loosen the clamps from the vehicle mirror, which means they need to be readjusted every time I put them on. The other annoyance is that they are a bit small and aren't convex at all, so they only show the specific areas you aim them at and nothing else.

I may return them for the Milenco MIL-2912 Grand Aero 3 towing mirrors like @Big Blue uses. They appear to solve both problems. Reason why I didn't get them in the first place is that they're $150 CAD vs $80 CAD for the ones I chose.

FYI for anyone looking at Milenco mirrors:
  • Falcon = single knob per clamp
  • Aero = dual knob per clamp
  • Grand = larger mirror
  • Platinum = larger and more flexible grips on the clamps
Sponsored

Last edited: