amick1995

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Trenor
Hi all!

I’m looking to see what people are running for bed racks and tonneau cover combos.

I’ve got a Bak Revolver X4S, and I am planning on getting a bed rack that will work for it this winter. Wanting to set it up for a roof top tent.
Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4, 2014 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm running an XtrusionOverland bed rack with a Syneticusa tonneau sourced from Amazon (for only $750ish!) on my 5' bed. I also have a homemade bed organizer system under the cover. I absolutely LOVE my setup as configured!
2021-07-24 09.56.06.jpg

2021-06-18 18.46.35.jpg

2021-04-25 17.02.36.jpg

2020-12-13 13.02.54.jpg

2020-12-13 13.03.10.jpg

2021-07-17 11.35.45.jpg

2021-07-17 11.34.57.jpg

2021-07-17 11.17.11.jpg

2020-10-31 17.19.51.jpg

2020-10-31 17.19.34.jpg

JBro

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 XLT FX4
Occupation
Army veteran/student
No pictures at the moment, but I'm running Yakima Overhaul HD + Truxedo LoPro with their TS rails.

tremorman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
I'm running an XtrusionOverland bed rack with a Syneticusa tonneau sourced from Amazon (for only $750ish!) on my 5' bed. I also have a homemade bed organizer system under the cover. I absolutely LOVE my setup as configured!
How does that bed rack mount? Do you know if it would it work with other tonneau covers?

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
How does that bed rack mount? Do you know if it would it work with other tonneau covers?
They sell two different kinds of mounts for it. My style mount for sure works with tonneau covers but I couldn't tell you for sure which one work. The fold up kind - the hard kind that fold up in three pieces, wont work because they will flip up into the rack and the rack will interfere with the opening.

There is an Xtrusion Overland user group on Facebook and I would highly suggest joining them and browsing other people's projects to see for sure what will work.

I'll get you pics of how all of mine went together.

tremorman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They sell two different kinds of mounts for it. My style mount for sure works with tonneau covers but I couldn't tell you for sure which one work. The fold up kind - the hard kind that fold up in three pieces, wont work because they will flip up into the rack and the rack will interfere with the opening.

There is an Xtrusion Overland user group on Facebook and I would highly suggest joining them and browsing other people's projects to see for sure what will work.

I'll get you pics of how all of mine went together.
Thanks, yeah I'm specifically looking at hard rolling covers hopefully it would work with one of those. Good suggestion but I'm not on facebook, otherwise I'm sure it'd be a nice resource.

How was xtrusion customer service/support? You think they'd actually know and be a solid resource for questions? I'm less trusting with this after still not being able to get a straight answer from Bakflip whether their x4s cover is compatible with racks. Saw on a gladiator forum that at least with the gladiator it was compatible with racks mounting in t slots, called and chatted Bakflip and asked about it for the Ranger and got multiple different answers depending on who I talked to and no one seemed to have an actual clue.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, yeah I'm specifically looking at hard rolling covers hopefully it would work with one of those. Good suggestion but I'm not on facebook, otherwise I'm sure it'd be a nice resource.

How was xtrusion customer service/support? You think they'd actually know and be a solid resource for questions? I'm less trusting with this after still not being able to get a straight answer from Bakflip whether their x4s cover is compatible with racks. Saw on a gladiator forum that at least with the gladiator it was compatible with racks mounting in t slots, called and chatted Bakflip and asked about it for the Ranger and got multiple different answers depending on who I talked to and no one seemed to have an actual clue.
I worked with the owner of the company to put my setup together. Mine was kind of the prototype for the Ford Ranger bed rack. We went back and forth on measurements and nailed something out. There was still a huge question of would it work! It all went together for my truck without issue, thankfully. I know of other folks that have had some issues fitting tonneau covers with the rack, but most seem to have found a way to make it work.

As far as the support goes...

They are a really good group of people, but they seem to be getting really, really busy with their success and not as responsive. They are easy to reach out to on phone though, and will pretty much email back when they can.

This is the tonneau I went with:
https://www.amazon.com/Syneticusa-A...-696------------&vehicleName=2019+Ford+Ranger

It fit well with the bed rack and I consider the tonneau to be a great value for the style of tonneau it is (hard rolling). The only thing I felt lacking were the clamps that hold the tonneau to the bed rails. They are aluminum and would work loose and fall off. I eventually solved that problem easily, and for very cheap! I backed the clamps with nyloc (nylon lock) nuts. I haven't had a problem since!

To hopefully make it a little more easy for you, here is exactly what we put together for my Ranger:
XTR1 Bed Rack for Tacoma
Model: 2005-2021 Tacoma Short
BedRack Length: 48
Rack Height: 15
Bed Rail Bracket Options: Wide Wing Brackets
Bracket Assembly Method: Pinch Back Plate
Bed Rack Finish: Black Rugged Powder Coated Extrusion and Brackets. Excludes front to back top braces)
It's a little easier to order now on their website because they have an order block set up specifically for the Ranger now.

Gr8Hortoni

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, int in a 5G
Occupation
Trucking
I worked with the owner of the company to put my setup together. Mine was kind of the prototype for the Ford Ranger bed rack. We went back and forth on measurements and nailed something out. There was still a huge question of would it work! It all went together for my truck without issue, thankfully. I know of other folks that have had some issues fitting tonneau covers with the rack, but most seem to have found a way to make it work.

They are a really good group of people, but they seem to be getting really, really busy with their success and not as responsive. They are easy to reach out to on phone though, and will pretty much email back when they can.

https://www.amazon.com/Syneticusa-A...-696------------&vehicleName=2019+Ford+Ranger

It fit well with the bed rack and I consider the tonneau to be a great value for the style of tonneau it is (hard rolling). The only thing I felt lacking were the clamps that hold the tonneau to the bed rails. They are aluminum and would work loose and fall off. I eventually solved that problem easily, and for very cheap! I backed the clamps with nyloc (nylon lock) nuts. I haven't had a problem since!

To hopefully make it a little more easy for you, here is exactly what we put together for my Ranger:
XTR1 Bed Rack for Tacoma
Bed Rack Finish: Black Rugged Powder Coated Extrusion and Brackets. Excludes front to back top braces)
It's a little easier to order now on their website because they have an order block set up specifically for the Ranger now.
I was literally just looking at this rack on the suggestion of someone in the overlanding group I belong to. It’s a very nice setup, my only question is with how far those mounts stick out. Any issues yet?

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I was literally just looking at this rack on the suggestion of someone in the overlanding group I belong to. It’s a very nice setup, my only question is with how far those mounts stick out. Any issues yet?
They sell different mounts - I went wide to make sure I cleared the tonneau. They don't stick out horrible at all, in my opinion!
2020-12-13 13.02.54.jpg

2020-12-13 13.04.55.jpg

Gr8Hortoni

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, int in a 5G
Occupation
Trucking
Might just have been the angle of the one picture. Just looked like it was out there a bit. 2nd doesn’t look so bad.

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Might just have been the angle of the one picture. Just looked like it was out there a bit. 2nd doesn’t look so bad.
I think the bed tapers in towards the rear.

tremorman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

XTR1 Bed Rack for Tacoma
Got it, thanks for the background on them. Looks like a nice cover but I'm ideally trying to avoid the retractable to keep all my bed space. How much space in the bed does yours take up? Do you ever wish it wasn't taking up that bed space?

If you can post the pics of the install/how your rack mounts that'd be great

Glocker

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Got it, thanks for the background on them. Looks like a nice cover but I'm ideally trying to avoid the retractable to keep all my bed space. How much space in the bed does yours take up? Do you ever wish it wasn't taking up that bed space?

If you can post the pics of the install/how your rack mounts that'd be great
Not the best photos but here you go. The black bracket with the two gold colored fastners is the bed rack mount. The long extruded black aluminum with the silver clamp and two silver threaded studs is the bed cover.

I love this bed cover by the way. It does take up a little room in teh nose of the bed but I love the cover all-in-all.
2021-10-13 20.26.12.jpg

2021-10-13 20.27.02.jpg

mrtimo

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 SuperCrew
Here’s my setup…xtrusion xtr1 with Yakima Fatcat 6 Evo ski racks. Hard fold Gator tonneau. Haven’t fully tested it all out…need snow to do that :)

The tonneau doesn’t open very much…but in fact I don’t want it to. The idea is to raise up the back third and hook it open. Then slide in/out a bin with the ski gear or whatever. Any greater opening will bring too much snow in.

And yes, I know the truck needs a clean.
79306D1C-D2FB-46C5-8523-0798A197FBBB.jpeg