should be able right?

llm.flyfisher

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Range crew cab XLT
In a couple months, will need to drive to FL from south TX to pick up my new technical poling skiff. Boat is 18' long, all carbon fiber, extremely light. Hull weighs 350 and boat, motor, trailer should be right around 1000 lbs total. My 2019 Ranger XLT crew cab should be able to handle that? Truck seems so small compared to my F250 and dodge 2500 cummins. I figured as long as I never tow much more than 1500 lbs with it, the little Ranger should hopefully be able to handle that OK.

I traded off my 2019 F250 and paid cash for the Ranger so I could afford the boat. Hopefully the Ranger tackles the job and runs with it.
Sponsored

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
In a couple months, will need to drive to FL from south TX to pick up my new technical poling skiff. Boat is 18' long, all carbon fiber, extremely light. Hull weighs 350 and boat, motor, trailer should be right around 1000 lbs total. My 2019 Ranger XLT crew cab should be able to handle that? Truck seems so small compared to my F250 and dodge 2500 cummins. I figured as long as I never tow much more than 1500 lbs with it, the little Ranger should hopefully be able to handle that OK.

I traded off my 2019 F250 and paid cash for the Ranger so I could afford the boat. Hopefully the Ranger tackles the job and runs with it.
No problem...Enjoy !
Regards

OP
OP

llm.flyfisher

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Range crew cab XLT
Thanks. I figured the Ranger would be OK with that light load the way it drives and runs.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase

I pulled a 2000 lb UHaul trailer for 600 miles up and down mountain passes and never even knew it was back there - these Rangers are VERY capable. I don't think you will have any problems.

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
I pulled a 1970's era 19.5' Slickcraft that had an old Mercruiser inline 6 cylinder truck motor and outboard drive with my Ranger not long ago and barely knew the boat was there. I imagine my tow weight was more than twice what your setup is. You should have no worries at all.

I wonder why you might think a truck rated to tow 7,500 lbs would have any problems at all towing 1,500 lbs. After you have towed with your Ranger I am sure you will have more confidence in what it can do. Enjoy your new truck and boat. Good fishing to ya.

Last edited:

OP
OP

llm.flyfisher

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Range crew cab XLT
OK sounds like I will have no issues pulling the fairly light load. I was used to 700 hp and 1400 ft/lbs with my dodge cummins that was pretty seriously built up, then my F250 gasser which was also pretty stout. The little Ranger has been a really good truck so far. Just did my first oil change and very happy with it. Just didn't want to hurt my little micro-truck! =)

OP
OP

llm.flyfisher

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Range crew cab XLT
Well I have found that manufacturers tend to inflate ratings somewhat, so if they rate it at 7500 that prolly means 5000 max safely. Not dissing the Ranger at all, just looking at the tiny little brakes and a 4 cylinder engine, with short wheelbase, adds up to being real conservative with weight towed that's all. Saying that, sounds like towing my hyper light poling skiff should be no problem as guys here have towed substantially more than I am going to with no problem.

Rick - Saber

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport Ranger 4x4
A good new towing review of the Ranger on this vid with TFL Offroad.

TFL already did another review of them doing the Ike Gauntlet challenge with the Ranger earlier.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Well I have found that manufacturers tend to inflate ratings somewhat, so if they rate it at 7500 that prolly means 5000 max safely. Not dissing the Ranger at all, just looking at the tiny little brakes and a 4 cylinder engine, with short wheelbase, adds up to being real conservative with weight towed that's all. Saying that, sounds like towing my hyper light poling skiff should be no problem as guys here have towed substantially more than I am going to with no problem.
The 4 cylinder engine continues to amaze me...... I think you will be surprised. I bet you don't even know you are towing anything.

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Well I have found that manufacturers tend to inflate ratings somewhat, so if they rate it at 7500 that prolly means 5000 max safely.
No. 7500 means any moron can hook up to a 7500lb trailer and hit the interstate at 80mph...safely. Not that I recommend this but if it wasn't possible the lawyers wouldn't let them say it.

JeffM

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
If anything US derates tow ratings. Cars in the US that have 0-1500 pound ratings are often rated 3000 pounds or more in the rest of the world.

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I'd have to find it, I think TFLTruck did the video, but someone did a video about how the manufacturers in the US have agreed to do their trailer ratings, based on multiple different tests, ability to pull up a grade. Stop and start on a grade. Use vehicle brakes only to hold on a grade, and oversteer performance at increasing speeds.

The Ranger should tackle 7500lb without breaking a sweat. I took a Uhaul car trailer ~2100lbs 4 hours from home through mountains in SoCal along the coast to pickup a '15 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport and then back (~6000lbs loaded) through the same kind of terrain. Hardly knew it was back there and there was no lack of power or braking performance. Obviously had to take a bit easier than unladen, but it performed way beyond expectations.

ljzAI6m.jpg

Remember, bigger isn't always better, higher numbers (HP/TQ) don't equate to more towing capability (or less) since it's the whole package that makes it up.

OP
OP

llm.flyfisher

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Range crew cab XLT
As stated, great towing ability is much more than HP and torque. As important and probably more so, is sufficient wheelbase and especially braking. Suspension that can control weight hanging on the back of the truck. Anyway, it is quite encouraging to see the Ranger get a favorable rating and as for myself, I will not tow more than 5k with my truck, as I always like to have a safety factor. Besides, my boat or a utility trailer are all that I will be towing with it. And the boat is purpose-built to be hyper-light (18' @ 350 lbs) so the Ranger will have no problem whatsoever pulling it.

I do need to change the fluids in the differentials and transfer case before my Florida trip though. Do the front axles and differential always turn even if 4wd not being used? I looked around under the truck when changing oil, looks to me like the axles and diff are turning constantly without the transfer case engaged in 4wd.

harringtondav

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCab, 2016 Jeep Cherokee, 2014 Dodge Dart Aero DDCT
No. 7500 means any moron can hook up to a 7500lb trailer and hit the interstate at 80mph...safely. Not that I recommend this but if it wasn't possible the lawyers wouldn't let them say it.
I bought my Ranger for the towing rating, plus the roading fuel economy. I haven't towed my +- 3200# boat/trailer yet, but have no concerns when I do. I agree with the above. To me the 7500# rating means towing 7500# every day, every mile through the 5 yr warranty.

I'm retired from big green ag, and I think their durability testing is as good as Ford's. And it's rigorous. The product isn't OK'd for production until predicted warranty failures are near zero. ...Deere has a 10,000 hr, no major failure goal. Big corp. farms can reach that usage in 2-3 yrs.

I'm eyeballing a new, larger boat. (called 2footitus in that cult) If I get one, I could be hauling up to 4500#+. That's another reason I bought my Ranger.
Sponsored